PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new coil ?

FireAndIce
04-24-2005, 09:12 PM
I just bought Travis Spaders 2001 race bike (can be seen on ****techatv.com) it has a sparks 275 kit and full sparks pipe 38 air srker carb.Walsh long travel, Axis triple rates,lonestar swing,stem,axle etc... really nice bike 1st question is it has a stock cdi and coil in it sould i get a new cdi or new coil or both trying to keep price down since i just spent big money on it. 2nd question i leave in cali about 2800 ft. the jets in it right now suck.. 165 and 52 with slide in middle , idles fine and starts fine... way to rich falls on its face till last 2 gears at mid and full throtte run hard and fast, bottom line to rich any inputs on jet size? Thank you very much for any help!!!!!

FireAndIce
04-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Is there anyone out there that can help?

deathman53
04-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't say a new coil, it probably has a new coil on it already, what needle is in it? there is more to jetting than the main and pilot. as you get higher the air is thinner, try going down to a 160 main? its hard to say withour hearing the bike, what color is the plug?

FireAndIce
04-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Thank you for the input on the jetting. My question on the coil and cdi is , Sould I upgrade my cdi/coil ? Will it give me more power ? Is it worth the money to upgrade? Also what type or brand do you guys think is a good upgrade?:) :macho :devil:

deathman53
04-26-2005, 07:35 PM
if you are going to upgrade, go with the cr250r ignition

crazyracer250r
04-27-2005, 10:43 PM
i wouldnt change the jet just yet what i would do is mess with the air screw tur it all the way in then a quarter of a turn out then ajust it til it starts kindove four stokeing youll be able to tel then screw it in a quarter of a turn then your carb is ajusted if you go ahead and change the jet size it might cause it to run to lean try that first ricky stater offers a good lightened flywheel and coil kit for pretty cheap

FireAndIce
05-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the help, has anyone upgrade there coil to a aftermaket one and if so who makes a good one? I would like to here good and bad.Trying to go through the whole bike ( I tore it down to check everthing and repalce anything bad) that way when it is back together i am ready to roll!!!

JTRtrx250r
05-02-2005, 12:51 PM
most I know of that went w/ an aftermarket coil says it dont make anymore power but start alot easier w/ less effort, Im thinking it was the Jannsen coil, but like some steering dampners... Ive heard they are the same as another aftermarket coil but just have a diffrent sticker and work great, I'd like to update mine also:ermm:

FireAndIce
05-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Has anyone used the Jannsen coil? If so do you like it, and what was the cost/ on Ebay they have one for $100.00 is this a good price?

Dave83
05-03-2005, 08:20 PM
They sell them direct for less than 90 or they did last fall.I have one and like JTR said,no great power diff,but does start easier and I havent fouled a plug since last summer.Get online and look up Janssenmotorsports and get their #.Good people who stand behind their products.