PDA

View Full Version : please help

raptor02r
04-24-2005, 06:50 PM
okay, i have a 02 yamaha raptor. modds include, full dmc pipe, uni-air filter(not pro flow), stage II cam, 11-1 piston, jetted..
i ve dragged raced a few races now, and we have a local place where theres a race once a month and i want to race, and win. im sick of being slow.. what can i do to make me fast. i run kenda knarly tires. i want to go faster. but keep the expense reasonable. im serious so dont tell me to sell my quad

blue416ex
04-24-2005, 07:10 PM
regear it go up in the front or down in the back that should fix ya thats what i did on my 416 and i show banshees whats up :macho

raptor02r
04-24-2005, 07:53 PM
i thought by adding a tooth it made top end go up, wouldnt i want more low end meaning go down a tooth in the front. or do i have this messed up but. cause youd think youd want more low end cause the drag is only 300ft.(keep in mind im sorta new at this)

blue416ex
04-24-2005, 08:31 PM
im not sure on a 300ft drag i usually do almost a 1/8 to 1/4 mile drag and i went with 15 36 gearing on my 416 when stock is 15/38 i just went down in the rear making me more topend speed but i dont have much of a problem on my drag but i would imagine on your drag you would still want the topspeed because unless it is pavement or something your going to just spin the tires like i always do still with my gearing im dragging on a hard pack and a soft sand strip it all depends on traction the holeshot and how much motor you have to backup the gearing:macho

raptor02r
04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
i race mainly on a sand/dirt mix. not like dunes but not hard pack. kinda a soft sandish dark colored dirt

rap686
04-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Heres what I run at 500ft drags : stock motor, complete GYT-R exhaust, K&N filter kit, rejet, Dyna Tech Ing set on most aggerssive curve, stock gearing, + 2" swingarm,20" rear tires.
Somethings I learned,
Leave in 2nd or 3nd gear depending on traction
Shift early!! Raptors power is low and mid don't waist your money on high rev boxes theres no power up there anyway.
The two things that made the most difference.
+2" swingarm: if you get a Raptor to hook up by getting your butt back on the seat it goes over backwards.+2" fixes it
Dyna Tech Ing. after installing exhaust and filter was looking for more.started looking at aftermarket Ing most were +1000 RPM with stock curve. Dyna Tech brings in advance much faster.
NOTE: may need to mix race gas with 11:1 comp if running fastest curve