PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 problem

Mr.250X
04-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi I have a 1988 Ford Bronco Eddie Baurer with a 302. My problem is with the 4L. It is that damm push button 4x4 auto locking hubs deal too. It goes into 4H just fine but, when i have it in 4h shift into N then press low range it does not do anything, no click nothing. I just replaced a tranfer case shifter motor, which i thought would be the problem, it controls the shifting into 4h and 4L. That was not the problem, so i am stumped really bad. Everything works great in this truck, Really good condtion, Lift, 35's It's just this 4L problem. Thank you need help Input:confused:

Scott-300ex
04-24-2005, 09:49 PM
if your talking about auto locking hubs, they suck, we had some on our newer truck and relized how bad they suck so we converted them over to manual lockin hubs where they will always lock in, not just whenever they want to, cuz we got some on our old truck and they work

autos don't always kick in so get manual, we got warn and thats a good brand

have fun

Mr.250X
04-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah there the auto locking hubs, with your truck did you have the shifter on the floor to go into 4x4. With mine it just has the push buttons, yeah I thought about switching over, and it would be a lot easier if it had the 4x4 shifter in the cab.:eek2:

wilkin250r
04-25-2005, 11:43 AM
The problem can't be the hubs. Even if the front hubs didn't lock, the rear would still be in low gear, he just wouldn't actually be putting power to the front wheels for 4-wheel drive (it would be 2-wheel low).

I'm not sure exactly what the problem can be, but it's NOT the hubs. They will affect the front wheels, and the actual power transmitted to the ground, but they won't affect how your transfer case switches gears.

TheFontMaster
04-25-2005, 01:38 PM
They auto shifting transfer cases suck ***. The one in my dad's 2000 f 150 has that, and sometimes it takes it a little while to shift from 4h to 2h or vise versa.

Mr.250X
04-25-2005, 04:34 PM
One other thing i forgot to mention is sometimes it goes into 4L and other times it does not. Like it just snowed here in michigan and I was using the 4h, then when i turn it off in 4h. Then I came back to the truck like a 30min or an 1hr it would go into 4L. Idunno there is like a metal box on the passenger side kick panel, I believe it is like a module for the 4x4. So i am thinking it is that, or it is the push button it self.:ermm:

Scott-300ex
04-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr.250X
Hi I have a 1988 Ford Bronco Eddie Baurer with a 302. My problem is with the 4L. It is that damm push button 4x4 auto locking hubs deal too. It goes into 4H just fine but, when i have it in 4h shift into N then press low range it does not do anything, no click nothing. I just replaced a tranfer case shifter motor, which i thought would be the problem, it controls the shifting into 4h and 4L. That was not the problem, so i am stumped really bad. Everything works great in this truck, Really good condtion, Lift, 35's It's just this 4L problem. Thank you need help Input:confused:

ok, i was just saying auto hubs suck, i wasn't sayin that was the problem, i read it so fast cuz i had to leave so i just saw auto hubs, but i read it now and i think i know what the problem is

so you can't get it into 4low

thats because your in neutral, you have to put the transmission into neutral before you switch it into low, or you will grind all the gears in your transfer case

so, put the t-case in neutral, then put your transmission into neutral, then shift to 4 low, then take your tranny out of neutral into drive, and it will work

i bet you thats what you need to do, its savin you from f-in up your t-case:D