PDA

View Full Version : 100 Octane low-lead?

bubbag
04-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Hello,
I grabbed 20 litres of 100 octane low lead gas from a local airport,
anyone else use this stuff, one dude that works there used it in his shee and said it works great, he also said that he is using snowmobile main jets (a 370 sizer keihin hex jet) on a .50 over piped,ported, stock carb shee?
I have been thinking of going to a larger size main as I can't get the top end rich enough, anyone else use snowmobile keihin mainjets, that will work in a 38mm ESR keihin airstryker?
Also will the lead in the gas effect the oils I use to mix?

Bubba

bubbag
04-24-2005, 06:33 PM
bump

zedicus00
04-24-2005, 07:39 PM
heh ive been gone for a couple days or idda answered sooner. AV gas is the topic of heated debate usually. the led in it is a good thing but there are other additives in it that will make an engine run hotter. (i guess at 20,000 feet that stuff is needed) i know of a lot of peeple that run it with good succes. i would recomend mixing it 50/50 with 91 or better octane pumpgas if you ride in a warmer climste. ive never heard of anyone running snomobile specific jets but i am pretty sure all kehin jets are a hex style and will fit any keihin carb.. (all the ones ive used hav.) 370 sounds frickin HUGE on that setup though.

crazyracer250r
04-28-2005, 04:18 PM
first of all you dont need to run over pump gas unless you have very high compression i think anything ove 185 you need to run high octane in it it may smell better but thats it unless you need it and high octane gas is going to make you engine run hotter because the higher the octane the hotter it has to get to ignite the fuel so unless you need it dont run it

nacs400ex
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Running high ocatane fuel does not cause your motor to run hotter. It cools the motor preventing detonation, a must if run a high compression motor. If that was the case nobody would use high octane.

88350R
04-29-2005, 09:32 PM
im pretty sure av gas burns hot though..i used to run it in a previous R...It worked great for me. i was close to 200 lbs of compression though. i always thought it was best to run it a little bit richer...if you run it in a car engine...you have to mix it with marvel myster oil..theres somethin about it..like its more dry than most fuels or something. Like i said, my r ran great...just a tad richer than 32:1. just my 2 cents worth.

machwon
04-30-2005, 08:45 AM
The biggest main jet for a Keihin is like a 235 now due to the new 450's (used to be 225). All jets over like 200 are aftermarket and not made by keihin themselves. When I use alky in the keihin carbs i usually just take and drill them out with a drill bit of a know size. Not being experienced with av/gas, so take this with caution, you will likely benefit from higher compression and also will need larger main jets that what you would normally run. You may also consider using a powerjet to add the extra fuel on top end.

JTRtrx250r
04-30-2005, 10:22 AM
avgas works but has many other chems in it, de-icers etc, just dont mix any castor oils w/ it(like 927)in cold weather, it milks up and dont mix well at all... (but that goes for any castors in cold weather),
This topic is debated alot, to each his own....b/c if you run it and it works for you... its your motor to run it in!, Im not hip on avgas in my units, I prefer fuel meant to be run at ground level for my R;) ... thats just me and my stuff:blah:

baker250r
04-30-2005, 11:20 AM
i heard it corodes main jets. if so... can i just clean the jets on a regular basis?

machwon
04-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure on the av-gas, I doubt it has corrosion issues as that wouldn't be good in an airplane. However, alcohol does and you should drain it out and flush the motor after a days riding. Otherwise, the cylinder bore and bearings will rust which is not good on the motor.

baker250r
04-30-2005, 05:59 PM
where did u get my name?

what are the issues AV gas has then?