PDA

View Full Version : Piston Rings

FoxRacing81
04-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey guys..I got a problem.

My 400 starts and everything...but when I rev it, it blows out a lot of blue smoke. I was riding the other day and my K&N clogged up completely with dirt and shut my quad off. I mangaged to get it started just to ride it home. That's when I noticed the smoke...so I'm guessing I ran my quad with a dirty air filter too long and it ruined the rings? Or is it a different problem?

Anyway, anyone know where I can get replacement rings cheap?

Thanks
Justin

BTW, I got rid of the K&N too...they suck..so do the outerwears because my filter didn't even look like a filter when I took it out...it was just a dirt ring...and I cleaned it a little before then too...so I bought a foam one (White Brothers).

plkmonster2
04-24-2005, 01:41 PM
It seems like you sucked in dirt through your filter. It may have ruined your rings. Or the clogged filter could be putting a vacuum on your cylinder, sucking in oil. I'd check the intake boot for dirt.

FoxRacing81
04-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I changed the filter though. It's brand new. Changed it with a white brothers foam one and it still did it. Is the intake boot the black passage that goes from the airbox to the carb? Or no? I don't know very much.

-Justin

plkmonster2
04-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Yup, thats the boot. Sounds liek you fried your rings. :(

plkmonster2
04-24-2005, 06:54 PM
If you need new rings, service honda is the best place.