PDA

View Full Version : Honda Oil Conspericy!!!!!!!!!

key4202003
04-23-2005, 08:30 PM
heh heh whell i thinking about "planed faileur" (companys make certin products or parts that prematurley wear out right??) for example FORDS POWER STEERING PUMPS im mean honsetly what old fords pump doesnt whine while turning. ANYWAYS i just changed the oil in my 400 and put in 2 quarts of HONDA BRAND 10W 50 which is high by what they say to put in. i took it for a 30 min ride, let it sit over night, came out the next morning let it warm up, took it for a spin and realized it wasn't shifting smoothly. i came to find out that the oil had EVAPORATED?)javascript:smilie(':eek2:') and was at the bottom of the dip stik!! and i KNOW it doesnt burn oil. but this has happened before: everytime i put fresh oil and filter in it, when i first got it (almost ran in dry at the dunes:( SO this leads me to belive that honda oil evaporats or something like that. ALSO does plain oil cumbusts or justs smolders i ask this cause i had an oil soked paper towel that i threw in the fire and it some what had an "Soft explosion"
MAYBE IM JUST IMANIGNING THINGS ANYONE HAVE THE SAME EXPERENCE? WHAT IS THE BEST OIL TO USE? IS SYNTHETIC TOO SLIPPERY:huh

key4202003
04-23-2005, 08:32 PM
WHEN I SAID THREW AN OIL SOAKED PAPER TOWEL THE BRAND OF OIL WAS HONDA BRAND 10W 50 thanks josh;)

JR3
04-23-2005, 08:49 PM
I run Bel Ray 20w 50 thumper semi synthetic and k and n gold oil filters and had no clutch problems or anything runs like a champ.

Dannys440
04-23-2005, 09:39 PM
I use castrol rx super 15w 50.

eganracing
04-23-2005, 10:26 PM
After i do an oil change on my 440ex the oil level goes down on it after riding because the oil was completly drained and then refilled so the engine cranks the oil back through the engine to fill in the empty spots.

400ex2072
04-24-2005, 07:59 AM
I never had that problem you speak of when I was running 20w50 honda GN4. Now I run Klotz full synthetic since my engine is heavily built and wouldnt go back to regular mineral oil for anything...

rummerd
04-24-2005, 11:09 AM
evaporating oil, huh?

walt miller
04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
i would check the oil filter to see if there is oil on the in side. did you oil the rubbers on the filter ? i had an oil filter not seal and no oil went through it. to much oil was held in the motor and the crank foamed the oil. always read low on oil. but it really had about 3.5 quarts of oil in it.

yamablaster24
04-24-2005, 11:26 AM
wow you guys need to realize that you only put oil in the oil tank not engine when filling it up. You should buy 3 quarts of oil when you buy oil because you will use about 2.4 quart. First put in about 1.8-2 then run it for a minute then put another .4-6 and then check it after a couple hours of riding to make sure. The oil pump has to pump motor into the crank case after you fill it up.

Not even water could evaporate in your crank case because there is no where for it to evaporate too. :rolleyes:

yamablaster24
04-24-2005, 11:27 AM
O yeah......i run honda full synthetic and have had no problems

key4202003
04-25-2005, 12:50 PM
well i thought the crank has to relive the back pressure, so isnt there a breather?javascript:smilie(';)') also couldn't the heat generated from all the friction of the 400ex's air cooled motor break down the viscosity of the oil thus making it thinner (breaking it down) im just saying that maybe hondas oil cant handel the high heat that the 400 produces. isnt synthetic oil bad for the clutch becase it ISNT a dry clutch steup so whats good for the engine is not good for the clutch. also has anyone thought about or have a oil temp. sensor for the 400. whats TOO HOT for the 400 cause ive herd that when it over heats it get harder to shift and will burn the clutch thanks josh

04-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Nonsense!!!! Honda oil works just fine. Why would they put this oil in brand new bikes if it doesn't work good. It is something you are doing or have done to your bike to make this happen. I run GN4 and have for 3 seasons on my stock motor and have never had a problem. I change my oil after every three rides and everything is still in tact.

400exrider707
04-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by key4202003
well i thought the crank has to relive the back pressure, so isnt there a breather?javascript:smilie(';)') also couldn't the heat generated from all the friction of the 400ex's air cooled motor break down the viscosity of the oil thus making it thinner (breaking it down) im just saying that maybe hondas oil cant handel the high heat that the 400 produces. isnt synthetic oil bad for the clutch becase it ISNT a dry clutch steup so whats good for the engine is not good for the clutch. also has anyone thought about or have a oil temp. sensor for the 400. whats TOO HOT for the 400 cause ive herd that when it over heats it get harder to shift and will burn the clutch thanks josh

Well you can buy synthetic wet-clutch oil, like the klotz oil that 400ex2072 suggested (I love that stuff!) or any other synthetic that is designed for atv use.

troutman561
04-26-2005, 08:36 PM
iv had the problem of the oil reading low, but it seems to differ, one time it says high, an hr later it says low, i guess it has a mind of its own, just keep it changed frequently and make sure u got enough in there and youll be fine