6858-400ex
04-23-2005, 01:02 PM
straight paddle or v paddle

what is better about either i know straight is better for climbing drag racing

v is more for turning more stability on hills

what are some good paddles of each type

plkmonster2
04-23-2005, 11:57 PM
For straights, the best are haulers. They climb super good, but I don't like them when you are riding the sides of a hill, because the back end wants to slide out. The v's help, but they don't climb too well, and don't float. They seem to dig in. One of the better v's I've seen are the sand stars, as long as they are 20 inchers. the 18's... I could care less, lol.

JOEX
04-25-2005, 01:22 AM
I prefer the security of straight paddles to get out of most hills. Turning can easily be compensated with body english.

The only time i've had a problem with straight paddles was coming out of a tree shot in very soft sand I missed the trail then tried to side hill the dune, ended up digging in and going backwards while the tires were going forward. I'll attribute most of that to pilot error:ermm:

zephead400ex
04-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I concur w/ Joex, turning can be easily compenstated w/ body english. I too prefer straight cut paddles.

Idaho_Outlaw
04-27-2005, 09:13 PM
I prefer straight paddle haulers . If you want to climb dunes they are the only one to buy . I personaly prefer 21x12x8 haulers (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00000144)

With a 8" rim they have a very big sidewall these tire will grow as your speed increases . They actually become tall and narrow as your speed increases . . So there is less paddle dragging at top speed there 12 wide so theres plenty of tire at low speed .
The same tire on a 10" rim will not grow as much . It has a narrow side wall and stays flat .
Have you ever watched a top fuel dragster leave the waterbox .
the rear slicks get skinny and taller . Same principal here . you want lots of paddle contact when you start and and less contact as your speed increases

chad400ex
04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Another vote for body english and straight paddles. I've never had any turning issues with my 8 paddle haulers. One mistake a lot of people make is they run the haulers at too low of a pressure...this makes turning more difficult, and makes it a lot easier to blow your bead.

I've ridden geckos, sand devils, sand sharks, sand skate 1's and 2's, and the new sand stars on different bikes. The Sand Skate 2's are a great tire and climb just about as good as a Hauler. The Sand Stars are a pretty close match but are a bit heavier, and you can feel it. I've got the 22" Sand Stars on my wife's stock V-force, and a friend has 22" Taller Haulers on his stock V. The Haulers climb a little bit better (and throw a heck of a lot more roost). But, on a bigger quad the V-paddles handle a lot better.

On smaller lighter quads body english is all you need. On a side note...Sand Tires Unlimited are now making some special order Sand Skate 1's that are competition cut (shaved down for a thinner/lighter carcass). I've heard under good authority that they give guys w/ Haulers a run for their money.

6858-400ex
04-27-2005, 09:54 PM
would 22 be too tall for the mods that i have in my signa at the top

right now i have 22 razr2 and 14 tooth front sprocket and i could pull the steepest hilll in 3rd with a run at it but i was thinkin of goin to 20 in tires the paddles i want are 20 in haulers 7 paddle what do u think my quad would handle with my mods

chad400ex
04-27-2005, 10:16 PM
your quad will do fine with the 7 paddle haulers. Lots of people use them on the 400EX.