PDA

View Full Version : New Raptor

04EXdude
04-23-2005, 08:34 AM
I just bought a new 05 Raptor. I choose it over a 450R cause I didn't like the kick start. I like it so far but it needs to be broke in before I see how it does against other quads. How will it do against the Predator and the 450s?

04-23-2005, 08:43 AM
stock on stock if your good with a clutch and experiensed with drag racing it should beat every stock quad they make:eek2: ya i know but it will..and if your a rly rly small rider like me (i weigh 110) then you will be able to beat piped 450s and compleately tricked out z400s

YFZ450Ridr
04-23-2005, 01:54 PM
you will probablly smoke any quad u pull next to, but you might need a little bit longer of a drag to get the top speed on the big ol 660

z400roosteR
04-23-2005, 02:36 PM
A YFZ-450 stock for stock will take a raptor, and i don't think a stock raptor will take a new piped Z

04-23-2005, 02:58 PM
you dont know dude...have you ever rode a raptor? or raced a raptor against a 450?? cuz if you ahve then you would know that a stock raptor will kick a stock yfz and a stock raptor will also beat a piped 450r and it will eat a piped z400 for lunch so stfu man cuz you oviously dont no:rolleyes:

04EXdude
04-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by z400roosteR
A YFZ-450 stock for stock will take a raptor, and i don't think a stock raptor will take a new piped Z

LOL!...........You're probably right about the YFZ...........
.............but I already know you're wrong about the Z. :blah:

Racing Rice
04-24-2005, 12:37 PM
I just read an article in this months ATV Action. They did a test between the Raptor and the Predator. They said the Raptor is a better all around quad then the predator, for what its worth. Power wise they are probably close it just depends who is the better rider.

I watched a guy on a Predator spank a guy on a DS650.. They then switched quads and the DS650 spanked the Predator. Common case of which rider is faster.

04-24-2005, 04:22 PM
i beat a nitrous kfx 700 on my LT80 that shows how its all about the rider...haha jp..i just tryen to show how it 90%rider 10% bike

rap686
04-24-2005, 11:11 PM
IMO if you want to win a drag race with a Raptor shift early!!!! don't listen to the other guys bike pay att to your own. 450's and 400z's make lots of power up top Raptors don't.

z400roosteR
04-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by 660r_freestyler
you dont know dude...have you ever rode a raptor? or raced a raptor against a 450?? cuz if you ahve then you would know that a stock raptor will kick a stock yfz and a stock raptor will also beat a piped 450r and it will eat a piped z400 for lunch so stfu man cuz you oviously dont no:rolleyes:
yes i have riden a raptor, it was an 04 and then i jumped directly onto a new yfz, the yfz hit harder and got there quicker they had the same paddles.....Have you riden a new Z? obviously not:devil:

04-25-2005, 02:01 PM
ya i have rode a z400 and it made me want my raptor 80 back;)

04EXdude
04-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Have you riden a new Z?

Nope.........but I sure beat plenty of them with my 400EX with just a few mods............:D
And it never came close to beating a Raptor...........:D

STooK02780
04-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Its mostly all rider. I own a raptor and i've ridden a Z and yfz450.
When I was stock I beat the Z (full Alba/K&N/jetted/holeshots) no problem. And he's had more riding expericance then me.

I can feel a major power difference on the 450, but I've never lined up to one personally on the raptor.

As far as drag racing goes...

Anyway you should look into getting some 450 shocks and replacing the ones on your raptor. I did it to mine and it makes a huge difference in handling.

660rider0_3
04-26-2005, 05:36 PM
When me "raptor"and my buddy "z400" 1st draged ours he'd get the jump by 2 quad lengths but by the end of 2nd gear i was running right beside him once i hit third i pulled right by him...........

BLAZE1
04-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Not trying to bash Raptors, but HaHa!
65% more cc's and you are barely pulling away from a 400.

:devil:

That is all I have to say!

Racing Rice
04-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by BLAZE1
Not trying to bash Raptors, but HaHa!
65% more cc's and you are barely pulling away from a 400.

:devil:

That is all I have to say!

Just because you barely lost still makes you a loser.:macho :D

z400roosteR
04-27-2005, 12:19 PM
LoL i'll stop cause most of the replies are coming one way or the other from a raptor owner or a Z so this won't go anywhere. Just race an experienced rider then tell me if you beat him stock for stock and that's cool. I have personally beat an 05 yfz on the dune we were both stock but it was a younger guy that couldn't keep with it going up the dune w/ whoops so most of the time it's the rider.

BLAZE1
04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
The only time I have ever lost to a raptor was in a 500ft. drag race. It was def. not rider influenced because he beat me twice then I got on his Raptor and beat him once while he was ridding my Z. So yeah when you are hanging out at the airport on the runway your Raptor might.. I said might.. beat a Z.:devil:
Drag/open sand: Raptor > Z

Now in the trails it is a different story. It is all on the rider. It is based on personal preference but I like the Z better. The Raptor has unusable power, the powerband is just not set-up right for trails. I ride tight trails and it just doesn't have the pull that my Z has in the low-mid RPM range. I can walk all over my friends (notice multiple Raptors) when on the Z but when we switch machines I feel like I have to push the Raptor to the limit just to stay ahead. Not saying you cannot set it up for trails but we are talkin' stock for stock right?
Trails: Raptor < Z

I don't ride MX that much because there is no track around here but on the few jumps that I do hit I would say the Z wins hands down! Especially the 05'. The Raptor just feels like a tank in the air and the Z feels VERY light and balanced. This also helps if you are into freestyle. The Z is easy to throw around in the air, balances well for wheelies & stoppies.
MX/jumps/freestyle: Raptor < Z

So if you spend a lot of time in the sand or at the strip I would suggest the Raptor. For anything else I would get the Z!

"Just because you barely lost still makes you a loser"

I don't know of anyone (or any quad) who rides frequently or competitivly that is undefeated. When you find one let me know! I have lost to every make of quad out there (except a stock ex400) that is comperable to the Z but I have also beaten a yfz, a predator, plenty of 416's & 440's, a kfx 700(he couldn't get around me after I passed him at the begining of the trail.:D), and even a few c-dales. So i am def. not dissapointed in the Z!

dc586
04-29-2005, 06:38 PM
everyone says mine faster yours is slower it all in how you ride and what you like to do all the new quads out now kick *** and with mods you can make then as fast as you want. PS. not to crazy about the 450r kick start come on.

Racing Rice
04-30-2005, 08:28 AM

"Just because you barely lost still makes you a loser"

I don't know of anyone (or any quad) who rides frequently or competitivly that is undefeated. When you find one let me know! I have lost to every make of quad out there (except a stock ex400) that is comperable to the Z but I have also beaten a yfz, a predator, plenty of 416's & 440's, a kfx 700(he couldn't get around me after I passed him at the begining of the trail.:D), and even a few c-dales. So i am def. not dissapointed in the Z!

I agree dude, I was just messing around. Everyone has different tastes in quads, whats right for one isn't always right for someone else.

Myrtle150
05-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Wait wait wait......you chose a raptor over a 450 b/c you didnt like the kickstart??? that just freakin lazy

04EXdude
05-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I went to 2 dealerships to look at 450Rs. At the first, the 450 they had started easy enough but I had more shopping to do. At the second, I kicked, kicked kicked,etc and so forth and it never did start. That was when that I decided the kicker wasn't for me. I ride hard and get tired after a few hours of blasting down trails......................If I bought a 450R and it left me on the trails miles away from camp cause I couldn't start it, I would take a match to it. What I mean is if every other quad has the magic button.............PISS ON KICKING!..............and for me that means no 450R.............If you like it...........You buy it........:rolleyes:

Racing Rice
05-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Thats what I said too.. I've owned way to many bikes/atvs that you have to kick, the raptor was my first with electric start and its so much nicer!

Keep in mind that while they are still fairly fresh they will usually start up fine, 5 years down the rode maybe a different story though. Besides that.. I'll be the first to admit that I've lazy.

mikes#04
05-03-2005, 08:30 PM
gentleman ,you need to open these machines up first porting,high comp piston ,new rev limiter,valving to really see what these machines will do /factoryquads are for boys/real men open up there machines.this winte had no problem passing 450r with hrc kits/rossier pipping./and yfz with piston kits.so far this year in motocroos(great lakes quad series)pulled holshot first race of year in pro-vet.remember factory makes these quads to last not be wrist wrenching:devil:

rap686
05-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Add me to the lazy clan. been there done that with kick start and get off to push it backwards. so call me lazy i'll push the buttons thanks. but to each there own

TRXoutlaw51
05-06-2005, 11:39 AM
I keep readin all these posts cuz im considering a new quad. I have an average modded out 400ex, just not fast enough for what I do. I been dabbing through the market lately for a 660. Just think it would better fulfill my needs. If anyones intrested, my 400 is for sale and is open for trades for a 660. Thanks to all the guys posting their opinions. My personal opinion is i dont see how any of the mid-class 400s would stay with a raptor after being modded the right way. I.E. a raptor with full exhaust, K&N, jetted, REV box, 11.1:1 STD bore piston, different size tires, maybe a tooth hear or there depending what your trails are like... NO WAY:macho ... Even if you did the same to a mid-class 400, a raptors motor is just BIGGER!!!!! As for the the 450's, do the same and mid-class 400's or raptor.. dont matter! They're race quads and shouldn't honestly be caompared. Most of us trail ride anyway. If we raced, its no thought in our minds we would buy a 450. If the trails are tight, 400 may be better, if it opens up to some straights in areas, a raptors gonna burn ya! Sorry for the long post, just my opinion. If anyones intrested in my 400. Heres a pic. PM me!!

MR.BIG
05-10-2005, 12:38 PM
First off the 450r is easy to kick unless you are a bunch of girls. Mine starts everytime second kick. As for a raptor beating a 450r and yfz thats pretty funny. The raptor may beat it flat out but the 450 will destroy it on acceleration and will definately pull away. I have raced my friends raptor with my 450 when is was stock and I beat him everytime. The raptor will beat a z400 and 400ex without a doubt. But when it comes to handling the raptor is top heavy and all the other quads will out handle it. The raptor is a good trail bike so if you like reverse and electric start that maybe the bike for you. I would stay will a 400ex myself but that's my opinion.

coryatver
05-10-2005, 01:37 PM
So you wanted a 450 with electric start? Have you heard of the yfz?

MR.BIG
05-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I was saying I would take a 400ex over a raptor. Wait till you battery goes dead and you have no way to start it. I like kickstart!

tater_kamik
05-12-2005, 01:02 PM
ill admit it, im too lazy for kick, and i need reverse:blah:

akraptor
05-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I ride tight trails and it just doesn't have the pull that my Z has in the low-mid RPM range.

wth are you smoking dude? have you ever ridden a raptor? all the raptors torque is in the low-mid rpm range. why the heck do you think you can wheely in 3rd by just punching the throttle. not leaning back either. for mx the z is lighter so its alot easier to control. but everything else the raptor will rape the Z.

tater_kamik
05-14-2005, 02:16 AM
people getting angry in here!! bi**h fight:D

akraptor
05-14-2005, 02:25 PM
nah not getting mad lol. just a z with more torque than a raptor? that would just surpise the heck out of me.

Myrtle150
05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Yea Ill agree them raps have got a crap load of low torque...I rode my friends today and wow..its fast. Its just too bad that I rolled that skinny thing and bent the bars in the second corner lol...guess im just used to my 52":p

tater_kamik
05-15-2005, 01:49 AM
they do have a lot of torque. that is why i decided to build one! is there a sport quad currently being produced that has more displacement?

akraptor
05-15-2005, 06:18 PM
kfx 700.

tater_kamik
05-15-2005, 06:24 PM
good point, i forgot about that one. what is the aftermarket support like on the kfx? anyone know how much it weighs?

akraptor
05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
alot. more than raptor. check specks on Kawi's website.

tater_kamik
05-16-2005, 08:07 PM
thats what i thought, i would still like to ride one just because, i just cannot imagine with it weighing a lot more its an great sport quad for jumping, anyone ridden one and have some opinions on it?

tater_kamik
05-16-2005, 08:23 PM
from kawi's website...

The one-of-a-kind Kawasaki KFX®700 sport all-terrain vehicle (ATV) is extremely popular with Grand National Cross Country (GNCC) racers and off-road recreational enthusiasts nationwide. The reasons are simple: The V-twin engine produces incredible power with a throaty sound not available from any other brand, the automatic transmission makes aggressive riding easy, the racing-style chassis is highly responsive and the brakes are powerful.

In fact, the KFX700 was raced to three GNCC championship titles in 2003, while Kawasaki Team Green™ and privateer racers won a host of other off-road racing events held across the nation—all in its first full year of production.

The KFX700’s power and performance begins with its engine. The liquid-cooled, 697cc, four-stroke, 90-degree V-twin is matched to a performance-tuned Kawasaki Automatic Power Drive System (KAPS), Kawasaki’s continuously variable automatic transmission. Combined, the powerful engine and automatic transmission eliminate rpm and shifting concerns because it’s in optimum powerband at all times. This allows the rider to focus even more attention on choosing good lines, whether it’s on the race track or the trail.

Other features include shaft drive, powerful dual front disc brakes and Kawasaki’s exclusive sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc rear brake system. The KFX700 also features the industry’s first mass-produced ATV chassis with a racing-inspired single lower front frame tube – the design preferred by cross country ATV racers.

Rear suspension duties are handled by a motocross-inspired swingarm with a piggy-back reservoir shock, and ITP Holeshot tires provide the KFX700 with maximum traction and maneuverability.

Rounding out the features list are sport-style serrated footpegs, a protective engine skid plate and a powerful 45-watt headlight.

As with all off-highway vehicle recreation, Kawasaki encourages ATV riders to ride responsibly and to respect the environment. Kawasaki will pay first-time buyers of a new Kawasaki ATV $100 for completing an ATV rider safety course conducted by the ATV Safety Institute (ASI). Interested consumers can call ASI toll-free at 800-887-2887.

SPECIFICATIONS
Engine: Liquid-cooled, four-stroke V-twin, SOHC, four valves per cylinder with wet sump lubrication
Displacement: 697cc
Bore x stroke: 82 x 66mm
Carburetion: Dual Keihin CVKR-D32
Starting: Electric
Transmission: Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System with forward, reverse and neutral
Final drive: Shaft
Frame type: Double cradle, racing type, high-tensile tubular steel
Suspension, front/wheel travel: Dual A-arms, coil-over shocks/9.3 in.
Suspension, rear/wheel travel: Linkless swingarm, piggy-back reservoir shock, dual-rate spring/7.9 in.
Tires, front: ITP Holeshot AT22 x 7-10
Tires, rear: ITP Holeshot AT22 x 11-10
Brakes, front: Dual discs with two-piston calipers
Brakes, rear: Sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc
Overall length: 78.1 in.
Overall width: 47.0 in.
Overall height: 46.1 in.
Seat height: 33.5 in.
Wheelbase: 50.6 in.
Ground clearance, at center of chassis/at rear axle: 9.6/6.3 in.
Lighting: Dual 45W halogen headlights, 5/21W taillight/brake light
Dry weight: 516 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 3.2 gal.
Footpegs: Sport-style serrated
Color: Kawasaki Lime Green, Blazing Orange
* Price and specifications subject to change

Features
- 697cc V-twin engine with dual Keihin downdraft carburetors provide maximum torque while 90-degree cylinder offset produces perfect primary balance to minimize vibration
- Super-responsive Kawasaki Automatic Power Drive System (KAPS) with special Kevlar reinforced drive belt enhances acceleration while maximizing durability
- Forward-neutral-reverse grip-type shifter is positioned conveniently on the left handlebar to make gear selection quick and easy
- Racing-style chassis with single-spar front frame tube for maximum A-arm length is the design of choice amongst Grand National Cross Country ATV racers
- Dual A-arm front suspension features 9.3 inches of travel—the long, flat angle of the A-arms provide optimum handling by minimizing “tire scrub” during up-and-down suspension travel
- Unitized alloy swingarm with large-capacity, piggyback reservoir shock and dual-rate spring features compression damping, pre-load adjustment and 7.9 inches of travel
- Unitized swingarm also features integrated shaft drive and Kawasaki’s exclusive, sealed multi-disc brake assembly for superior ground clearance and fade-free braking power
- Low-mounted 3.2-gallon fuel tank helps keep the center of gravity low for enhanced handling
- GNCC-proven ITP Holeshot tires provide maximum traction and stability
- Aluminum alloy rims feature welded inserts for added strength and durability
- 90 watts of halogen lighting power gives the nighttime rider exceptional visibility
- Sport-style serrated footpegs allow maximum rider mobility and control

there are some things i really like, but i feel the weight pretty much kills it for me, im a small guy and have problems tossing my quad as it is. the shaft drive is interesting though, and the rear brakes, can anyone shed some light as to what the difference in the kami's braking system is?

akraptor
05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
yeah as hard as my raptor is at controlling around the track and on jumps. i can't imagine the kfx 700 lol. just to big imo. i like my raptor alot of power even for a big guy like me. 230lbs

tater_kamik
05-16-2005, 10:16 PM
kind of like trying to jump a tank, way too much for my 150lb scrawny butt!