PDA

View Full Version : sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't

05-16-2002, 11:49 AM
I have a stock 88 250X and she is really acting up.

Heres the deal.
Sometimes I jump on the quad and it will start in one kick.
I will ride for a while and shut it off. Then I go to start is again and it wont kick over no matter what I do but I can jump start it.
If I let it sit for a few minutes then try to kick it over again it might start in one kick or I will have to wait a few minutes and try again.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE HELPFUL.
I am thinking it might be the CDI box, I already tried changing the plug and it is not that. I am wondering what else it might be?

Rastus
05-16-2002, 01:04 PM
Ok, here what it might be:

Not Starting sometimes:
Cam Chain might be bad.
Timing might be off.
CDI box.
Shorting out electrical wiring.
```````````````````````````

Not turning over sometimes:
Valve adjusted too tight.(i.e. , the valve tapets are too far in, and require adjusting)
A valve might be bent.
`````````````````````````````

Thats about all i can think of.
Mine used to do that, sometimes it would start,and some it wouldnt. All i had to do was do some valve adjusting, and a new cam chain, and it runs great.

Rastus
05-16-2002, 01:06 PM
Also, does the engine sound abnormally loud?

Sparkles
05-16-2002, 01:45 PM
check the battery connections

nakomis0
05-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Hows the plug look? Maybe your running rich.

You ride the bike and jump off the plug is wet and wont start again. Let it sit for a bit, it drys off and then starts right up. .. possibly.

05-16-2002, 03:00 PM
It is not running loud.

How do I know if the cam chain is bad?

spliffy
05-16-2002, 03:04 PM
Could Be Your Float Too.... I Was Having Similar Problems & My Post Replies Where That The Float isn't Adjusted Right , I Am In The Midde Of A Rebuild Right Now So I Haven't Had A Chance To See If That was the problem Or Not Yet , But When I Took the Head Off I had Gas Sitting On My Piston Which Would Mean It Is Dumping gas In It When I Shut It Off & That Would Lead To A Tuff Restart Because It Is Flooded..... Same Thing With Mine Though Every Once In A While It Wouldnt Start After I Shut It Off (mine is also a 88 250x) If That Is the Problem Let Me know So I Know For Sure Thats The Problem.

Rastus
05-16-2002, 07:04 PM
First off, 250X's dont have batteries:). 2nd, he said he checked the plug.
When you say it wont kick over, do you mean the whole motor is locking up, or it wont turn over on its own.
It could be the float.Try taking your carb off and your tank, and clean everything out.Make sure theres no particles in your tank,etc.You could try using some carb cleaner on the carb too.
Theres no real way to checkif the cam chain is bad, just if the timing comes off easily, and you can see play in the chain, thats the signs of it.

05-17-2002, 04:57 AM
When I say it doesn't kick over I mean it wont start. Unless of cousre you jump start it. Thank You guys for your help!!
If you have any other ideas please let me know

$$$moneyex
05-17-2002, 11:39 AM
you could be over heating it. my old kawasaki used to do that when it was over heated.....or it could just be too old

spliffy
05-17-2002, 12:22 PM
'92 : 250X er - What gas Do U Run On Your Machine? 92 Pump Or Do You have To Run Higher Octane Cuz Of the Compression? Thanks

ridered300
05-19-2002, 11:07 AM
My 300ex does that and its only a 99. Ive been trying to find the sourde but havent had any luck yet.

Rastus
05-19-2002, 02:34 PM
It runs alright on 92 and some gas treatment, but im supposed to put race in it. That can get kind of costly.

Rastus
05-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Just im my expeirences, my cam chain was bad. It did that all the time.You wouldnt be sure if it would run or not.It would be running , then i the next 20 mins it wouldnt be.I had to get a new cam chain, and chian guides for it cause they were worn out. But, you can tell if its going bad. The engine sounds abnormally loud, not like a pinging sound, a constant clattering noise.

Spliffy, it will run on 92, but not that great. Put some Turbo blue in it and see how much fun it is :)

Hope this helps.(it sucks to have a quad and it wont run.)
Ive been there done that. Course, not now. heh. 200 bucks at a dealer and i was back on the trail.