PDA

View Full Version : Question about some parts on my quad

jt29
04-22-2005, 09:35 PM
I just bought a 04 400EX, I had a XR400 but sold it to get the quad. I have a couple of questions about some parts that are on the quad that I did not have on my XR. I want to know what they do and are they needed. First is the switch that is built into the clutch perch. And second is the white tube that goes from the air box to the front of the bike, I have heard it called a snorkel.

enduro400rider
04-22-2005, 10:21 PM
the switch are you talkin about the starter button and lights? if not i think mabe your talkin about the parking brake lever you pull in the parking break lever and push that switch and it holds the parking brake on. alot of people just take the parking brake off its not really needed. the tube goin to the air box is just a breather tube it goes up into the air box so no water gets down in the case

jt29
04-22-2005, 11:24 PM
The switch that I am talking about is a electrical switch that is inside of the perch. The only way to activate it is to pull in the clutch leaver in. And the white clear tube goes from the air box up the inside of the frame along the gas tank and stops by the steering stem, it does not go too the case at all. I found the case breather tube.

400exc
04-23-2005, 07:26 AM
the switch i think you are talking about is the parking brake switch. Do you mean the switch on top of the clutch, because that is what i think you mean. And the white tube is for the air filter, it gives clean air through there.

Ralph
04-23-2005, 07:31 AM
the switch you are talking about is so that you can only start the quad in gear with the clutch in. Notice how when ur in gear and u push the starter nothing happens, but when u pull in the clutch it will turn over.

the tube should go onto the engine somewhere

jt29
04-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
the switch you are talking about is so that you can only start the quad in gear with the clutch in. Notice how when ur in gear and u push the starter nothing happens, but when u pull in the clutch it will turn over.

the tube should go onto the engine somewhere

So that is what that switch does, makes sense now. If I want to get rid of the parking brake and parking brake assambly and put just a clutch lever and perch on. Is there a way to trick that switch and make it think that the clutch lever is pulled in all the time. Or how would I go about puting a new clutch lever and perch on with that switch. Thanks for the help

sickmojave
04-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Hook the two wires together and it will start anytime. but be careful... IT WILL START ANYTIME YOU HIT THE BUTTON..:eek:

enduro400rider
04-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by jt29
The switch that I am talking about is a electrical switch that is inside of the perch. The only way to activate it is to pull in the clutch leaver in. And the white clear tube goes from the air box up the inside of the frame along the gas tank and stops by the steering stem, it does not go too the case at all. I found the case breather tube.

thats your snorkel tube

jt29
04-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
thats your snorkel tube

What does it do and is it needed????

enduro400rider
04-23-2005, 11:07 AM
its for when you get in deep water the air box doesnt get full of water and then you carb would suck in water causing something you dont want to deal with. its not really needed if you ride in dry areas but if you get in deep water its good to have someone makes a block of kit for the snorkel i thick maby NACS but im not possitive. if you put one of those kits on it you have to run it with out a lid. you can take the lid off you airbox now and it will give you a little more power most people take them off anyway but its a cheap way to get power

yamablaster24
04-23-2005, 11:15 AM
take snorkel off an take air box lid off. then plug up holewith spray paint can lid

get any sort of clutch and perch and put it on. Take 2 wires plug them into eachother and put them somewhere.

jt29
04-23-2005, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by enduro400rider
its for when you get in deep water the air box doesnt get full of water and then you carb would suck in water causing something you dont want to deal with. its not really needed if you ride in dry areas but if you get in deep water its good to have someone makes a block of kit for the snorkel i thick maby NACS but im not possitive. if you put one of those kits on it you have to run it with out a lid. you can take the lid off you airbox now and it will give you a little more power most people take them off anyway but its a cheap way to get power [/QUOTEC

Cool thanks, It sounds like it allows for more air flow if I was just to keep it on, rather then taking it off and blocking the hole. I just orderd a aluminum air box with a lid that also houses the battery.
thanks man.