PDA

View Full Version : 2005 400ex pilot jet question

nowukno
04-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I have a 2005 400ex with a pro circuit full system exhasut with a dyno jet kit , k&n filter with outerwear (no airbox) and a srp rev box. My problem is that i seem to foul the plug to often , i was wondering if i go up to a 42 pilot jet if it would solve my issue but would it run to rich in the summer and possibly lose some low end power , i would also be afraid of letting it idle for a minute or two in hot weather for the fear of fouling the plug , i don't want to deal with changing the pilot jet for every season , or maybe a 40 pilot jet would work better , i will just wait for your advice on what to do.

cals400ex
04-21-2005, 11:31 PM
you could probably put in a larger one and turn your fuel screw in some. but if your all stock, in the summer you shouldn't need one. i think you problem is from hitting the gas too much when trying to start the bike. just pump the gas a few times so you dont flood the bike

nowukno
04-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i think you problem is from hitting the gas too much when trying to start the bike. just pump the gas a few times so you dont flood the bike

SO WHAT SHOULD MY STARTING PROCEDURE BE IN THE SUMMER WITH MY MODS?

itlnstln
04-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by nowukno
SO WHAT SHOULD MY STARTING PROCEDURE BE IN THE SUMMER WITH MY MODS?

I put the choke on full, crank it over, and only give it gas write as she starts. Then change the choke to half while she warms up.

Works like a charm for me, first try every time!

cals400ex
04-22-2005, 11:45 AM
many people can't get their bikes started in the cold weather while USING the choke. however, i have tried 4 different pilot jets and just pumping the throttle and hitting start button doesn't get mine to fire, in winter that is. so i guess each bike is different. here is what i do:

pump the throttle 4 or 5 times. put the choke on full and hit the start button and do NOT hit the gas anymore until it fires. now you can turn the choke on 1/2 or all the way off. you may have to keep on the gas a bit for it to idle until it warms up. in the winter, you may want to either add a larger pilot jet or pump the gas a few more times.