PDA

View Full Version : A little shock advice please.

DC400ex
05-16-2002, 08:16 AM
I have a 2000 400EX and I'm looking to upgrade my front and rear shocks. I trail ride only. The arms will remain stock. I'm far from a lightweight, about 260lbs with gear. What shocks would you guys recommend? I'd really like to spend no more than around $1,000 - $1,200. If that price range is not possible, so be it. I just want to buy shocks that are worth the money and will last, know what I mean? The type/make of shocks doesn't really matter to me. I'm just trying to get some input as to what may be best to haul my butt around.

MOOCAZEN
05-16-2002, 08:19 AM
A-ARMS OR WHAT TYPE OF A-ARMS AND WHAT TYPE OF SHOCKS WERE YOU LOOKING FOR, MOST IMPORTANT, WHAT SIZE OF A-ARMS

MOOCAZEN
05-16-2002, 08:35 AM
YOU MINE, I HAVE AXIS DUAL RATES DUAL ADJ, SO THEY HAVE COMPRESSION AND REBOUND, MY SHOCKS WERE SETUP FOR +2 A-ARMS FOR 220 , BUT WITH STOCK A-ARMS THEY GO UP IN POUNDAGE, ASK ANYONE AND LOOK AROUND, I SELL QUALITY STUFF, THESE SHOCKS HAVE ABT 10 HRS USAGE AND THEY COME WITH EXTRA XC SPRINGS FOR SOFTER RIDE, THEY RETAIL 1295,A SK ANYONE OFFER IF YOU WANT THEM I HAVE TO GET RID OF THEM, HERES A PIC, LET ME KNOW

DC400ex
05-16-2002, 08:44 AM
Thank's, but I'm not really looking to buy anything just yet. It will be a few months untill I'm ready. I just want to get some input on what might fit my needs best.

400exBro
05-16-2002, 03:43 PM
works shocks for 550 at motoworld i got that with triple rate springs, remote rezzies and threaded preload .
you can go up to pro seris but i feel that the elka are better for top of line with all the adjustments, but if you want a shock that works after every ride or before a ride and that will work well for trails and mx i say go for the works shocks for 509 at carbides moto world !!!!
Bro

PoopOna400EX
05-19-2002, 05:14 PM
DC, I too am not a light guy (225lb) butt naked and I was concerned about the suspension. I recently got Elka Triple Rates and Mac Daddy Rebuild for the rear. I used to bottom out with my stock shocks, but have had no problems so far with the Elkas. For both the front and rear they were around $800, I think that even got me my Elka shock covers.

I've attached a pic...

Good luck,
~Jason

Dave400ex
05-19-2002, 06:43 PM
PoopOna400EX, Do your Front Shocks have Rezzies?

PoopOna400EX
05-19-2002, 07:34 PM
No, but I can add rezzies for about $300. I just don't think I ride long and hard enough to need rezzies. If I find my fluid is getting too hot, then I'll add rezzies...

~Jason

400exBro
05-19-2002, 08:26 PM
trust me the rezzies are well worth the money, i have spent 4 hours pounding my body and the 400 throught rough sand mx track and my work shocks didnčt fade at all they were as strong as when i pulled the bike off the trailer. For mx if you dončt have rezzies i dont even know why you would of bought those shocks.. trail riders i can see because the bike doesn t bounce around as much and take a beating as much unless you hit a tree, yes the trail racers do go faster at some points then the mxers and have to turn a lot faster etc..... but the rezzies are well worth the money in any application.
Bro
just my 0.2

PDunes300ex
05-19-2002, 11:25 PM
How about Works triple rates with Rezzies...those have to be within your budget. They would be far superior to stock shocks and it doesn't sound like you beat on your quad MX style. They seem reasonably priced and then you could have money left over for some more little goodies.

Just my $.02

DC400ex
05-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

Dave400ex
05-20-2002, 03:44 PM
I would also have your Rear Shock Rebuilt. Marcum`s or the Quadshop could do that for you.

05-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Hey Man, I just upgraded to AXIS & have a pair of Preload & compression adjustable front PEP's triple rates. Since you don't race, I can guarantee that these shocks are all that you'll need. "Mark Baldwin" of PEP's "Baldwin motorsports" is currently re-sealing them & I should have them back by June 7th. If you're interested, send me a note. I'm selling them for $650.
note: You can buy new ones for $760 + shipping & a three month wait, I'm just making this offer to you, before I list them on EBAY.

Bert