PDA

View Full Version : Goods and bads of 1986 250r

mhoy9
04-21-2005, 08:43 PM
what are the problem spots with these quads are they as good as the 88-89 faster slower bad frames help me out lookin at buying one thanks mike

wilkin250r
04-21-2005, 11:02 PM
They have a shorter rod, so it will rev faster, but the pistons won't last as long.

The frames are a little bit heavier.

On the 86, the front wheels are further back, but so are the back wheels (longer swingarm). Basically, your center of gravity is more foward on the 86/87, which would theoretically give you slightly less rear-wheel traction coming out of corners. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're a pro racer.

In 89, they re-designed the clutch to make it better, but you can buy a kit to upgrade the 86 to the 89 style. It's about $60.

All in all, these differences are minor. They shouldn't deter you from buying an 86, it's still a fantasic machine. I love my 86.

250R Baja Rider
04-21-2005, 11:22 PM
There are a few differences, but none are that critical to hinder the purchase. As already mentioned, the motor has a short rod and bigger piston. This creates a bigger rotation angle and as of results runs a bit hotter than the long rod.

This can be improved the first chance you get to open the motor. Switch to long rong and 88-89 piston and that's out of the way.
The transmissions are a bit different, but not so much.

Gear ratios are different, swingarm, hubs, etc.

None of these should be a major factor. Go for the R, you won't regret it.

zedicus00
04-22-2005, 07:08 AM
actually guys the short rod creates a less sharp rotational angle. and the pistons are the same size the only difference is the pin location... longrod motors hav more tork and spin slower so yes they will maybe last a tad longer. its not gunna run hotter or anything like that. i prefer the short rods cuz the rev faster and over rev better. pluss if you set it up for midrange with a lil bottom end then you get a torque motor that screams on top too.

JTRtrx250r
04-22-2005, 01:54 PM
w/ a longrod crank(or 88-89 bottem end), -1 aarms,-1 swingarm... you can pretty much make an 86-87 feel like an 89

I like the beafyness of the 86's, better gusseted and maybe 2 lbs heavier, but like stated above... not much diffrence to buying 1

the later years are weaker frames, but more sought after , you really cant go wrong w/ any yr, most importantly.. the frame is STRAIGHT, so thats always my main concern

Good Luck:cool:

punker69q
04-22-2005, 02:11 PM
The short rod is the one that will have the biggest angle, like this quick drawing shows. (Actually, I made my quotes on the wrong side, so the smallest rod angle is the one that is closer to 90 degree) So they will have a tendency to wear pistons a little faster.