PDA

View Full Version : so my quad is freaking messed up

ericstam07
04-21-2005, 08:22 PM
my quad at about 1/2 throttle will just bog down and give out no power at all...i took apart my carb and cleaned it so its not my jetting...i put a new airfilter on it...not that...i think its somthing electrical? would this be the rev box?

plkmonster2
04-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Take out your main jet and make sure it is spotless, or get a new one. I've had one that got build up in it, and it started to do that.

derekhonda
04-22-2005, 03:48 AM
might sound stupid but is your choke in the off position or maybe broken?

chucked
04-22-2005, 07:17 AM
What kind of exhaust do you have? Exhausts that are very free flowing will have a dead spot in the throttle.

Luka240nos
04-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Check the air/fuel mixture skrew on the bottom of the carb. seat it all the way and turn it 3.5 turns. I had to do the same thing

ericstam07
04-22-2005, 08:57 PM
this might sound dumb but i have never messed with jettin or carbs when i got the quad it was piped and jetted so what does the jet look like? and where in the carb is it located?

so you dont think its anything electrical

DeerNuts
04-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ericstam07
this might sound dumb but i have never messed with jettin or carbs when i got the quad it was piped and jetted so what does the jet look like? and where in the carb is it located?

so you dont think its anything electrical

Its hard to explain without a picture, but first Im assuming you still have the stock carb, which is a Keihn. the main jet is around 1/2" long , Im guessing. Ive never measured it, but it is small. One end is threaded, the other part is hex. the size of the hex end is 6mm.

The main jet is located, when your carb is still in the bike, on the bottom of the carb. there is a nut the has to be removed that is on the outside of the carb, and once you take that off (I think its 17mm (not positive though) you can see your main jet.

You need to find out what size your main jet is. stock is 148. next size up is 150, then 152.5 (I think) then so on.

Remember the main jet does nothing for idling or low throttle riding. Im pretty sure it controls 1/8 throttle to WOT. If your bike doesnt start/idle well, you need to adjust the screw or get a different size pilot jet.

The problem is not electrical. Like Chucked said, a very free-flowing exhaust will have a dead-spot. Since you described a "bog" at 1/2 throttle, then very likely your main jet is too large, giving you to rich a mixture. Id guess then you need to fool around with your main jet to eliminate or at least reduce the bog.

ericstam07
04-23-2005, 05:24 PM
what i mean is all the power after 1/2 throttle is gone... like after it revs over 1/2 way i will get no power at all

plkmonster2
04-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Still, it sounds to me like your main jet is clogged, or has fallen out, but it is hard for me to tell. Run it around, and hold it full until it dies. Then stick your nose in the exhaust and smell. Is it gassy? Then you're too rich. Or does it smell like nothing, or metaly? If so, you are too lean. This the only way i cantell you how to do it without me being there.

redrider4ex
04-24-2005, 08:48 AM
"Its hard to explain without a picture, but first Im assuming you still have the stock carb, which is a Keihn. the main jet is around 1/2" long , Im guessing. Ive never measured it, but it is small. One end is threaded, the other part is hex. the size of the hex end is 6mm" DeerNutsn

Not all stock carbs a keihn, mines stock and i have a mikuni carb, just figured id throw that out there