PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Microsoft?

Butters
04-21-2005, 08:04 PM
i always wonder who really likes microsoft products and who just uses them cause they come on almost all computers. just curious what you guys think.

Fender Bender
04-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Can't really say I hate Windows, but I don't really like it either. If you know what your doing it can be a somewhat secure OS. There are a lot of things still that I would love to see changed in Windows. Personally, I prefer to use Linux. It has been quite a bit more stable for me and I am a lot more productive.

400exrules
04-21-2005, 09:15 PM
i dont care really, i just use the internet mainly

derekhonda
04-21-2005, 09:20 PM
microsoft is really pretty horrible, but because they have what 97% of the market theres really no room for someone to come in and make a better product.

n00b on a 400ex
04-21-2005, 11:54 PM
they ****ed up the mechwarrior series :mad:

blaster_rider68
04-22-2005, 07:30 AM
i dont really care cuz thats whats on my comp.....if there was something else on my comp i could care less as long as i can stil use the internet and aim

i do like the microsoft xbox tho,great invention:D

04-22-2005, 07:51 AM
i like it...they make xbox and flight simulator...that covers their asses for their faults with their programs, like windows

zephead400ex
04-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
i dont care really, i just use the internet mainly

But you probably use Internet Explorer to browse the internet. Screw IE, use Mozilla!!!

My $.02:D

Butters
04-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
But you probably use Internet Explorer to browse the internet. Screw IE, use Mozilla!!!

My $.02:D

yeah i use mozilla too cause its just easier i think. i haven't ever use mac but i have heard it is a lot more stable.

thomps6s
04-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Microsoft is not successful because they produce quality products. They are successful because they know how to market their products extremely well.

zephead400ex
04-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Butters
yeah i use mozilla too cause its just easier i think. i haven't ever use mac but i have heard it is a lot more stable.

There are a lot of perks with Mozilla. The thing I like best is a tabbed broswer. Plus, very very limited popups!

04-22-2005, 11:18 AM
just downloaded mozilla...browses the internet quicker too does it not>?

zephead400ex
04-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Well, I couldn't really tell you, I'm on a T3 connection, so it's all fast for me!:) But, I would probably say no, at least nothing significant.

thomps6s
04-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah Firefox is the only way to go.

Fender Bender
04-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Firefox comes pre-installed on my Linux distrobution, and on many others too. Get the adblock extension, it kicks ***. I can block all of the annoying GIF ads on this site. The only real problem with using IE is that it is built in with the rest of the OS, which is bad for security. Also, Microsoft wont disable ActiveX, which is also a security flaw, because that is how they monitor your activity. The regular username you log in with in linux also doesn't have access to the system files, you have to login to the root account to change anything. That is so simple, but it is highly effective.

Here is where to get adblock filters, the newest is at the bottom and they update all the time:

http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/

WKY400EX
04-22-2005, 04:29 PM
I used to use Netscape Navigator back in the day, but got to where I was using IE all of the time on my new PC. After I realized IE is really bad about crashing, I tried Firefox. They have a similar layout, but a night and day difference in performance. IMO, Firefox is superior to IE in about every way.

FFW
04-22-2005, 04:32 PM
m$ is the WORST O/S on the planet, bar none. It's true they have the highest market share due to their marketing abilities. They're invasive, pervasive and parasitic.

It's bug ridden, unstable, a security nightmare second to none. It's bloatware at worst. ActiveX is an Active Disaster.

Internet Exploder is the spring board for all sorts of nasty problems the script kiddies can exploit.

m$ outlook is a security disaster by default. Launch it with no options and it's ready to serve and destroy you.

Unfortunately I have to use it because most of my business apps aren't written for anything else.

Mac on the other hand...good O/S. One that melds a BSD platform with a user friendly GUI and it utilizes RISC based processing. It's a shame people think a Pentium 4 can even hope to run with a comparable Mac G5. It's all about marketing:)

Personally I prefer Solaris or HP-UX with RedHat running a close second. I use all of them on a daily basis and the Unix variants never fail me. Yes they have occasional problems, mostly with RH because of Linux's open source nature but never with Solaris or HP-UX. I've never had those 2 corrupt their O/S due to an application or kernel failure.

Down with m$!

Did I mention I hate m$??

:)

Warnerade
04-22-2005, 05:05 PM
lol...i have no problems with any of the things you people are listing. all it takes is a bit of insurance for it to run stable...i havent got any viruses on this computer (up and running just about non stop for 1 1/2 years), minimun spyware...no pops ups at all...IE isnt that bad, i prefer it over mozilla...i just didnt like it.

flame away please

04-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by n00b on a 400ex
they ****ed up the mechwarrior series :mad:

Ah mechwarrior, great game lol

FFW
04-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
lol...i have no problems with any of the things you people are listing. all it takes is a bit of insurance for it to run stable...i havent got any viruses on this computer (up and running just about non stop for 1 1/2 years), minimun spyware...no pops ups at all...IE isnt that bad, i prefer it over mozilla...i just didnt like it.

flame away please

No flames necessary, from me at least. But, I can say this: working with all the above mentioned systems m$ is not scalable (which isn't needed in a home environment), it's not stable ( in spite of what some might say! :) ) it is arguably a ton better than windoze 98 which held the title as worst software on the planet until it was phased out.

You said it was up and running for just about 1.5 years and i'm not going to ask you each and every reboot but it's not uncommon for me to come across an HP-UX host thats been up non-stop for 4-5 years. The only reason we take it down is because it's so behind in it's patches and the O/S might need upgrading! These are machines that are used hard 24X7X365. There is no time when the system isn't serving data or handling network traffic. No m$ box can lay claim to that, at least none that I have seen.

If you're satisfied with the way m$ works for you thats good. For me, after seeing how the other real operating systems function shows me how inferior m$ is.

As for the Exploder vs Mozilla/Firefox, yeah, it is a matter of preference but the fact that ActiveX can't run on the Moz/Fox platform without downloading the extension takes one serious security flaw out of the equation. Unfortunately many people still optomize their websites for m$ and it makes it difficult to see them unless I d/l the Firefox AX extension.

Do a search sometime for Firefox extensions and download firefox too. It flat out works better than Exploder and the tabbed browsing is a nice feature.

:)

Warnerade
04-23-2005, 10:21 AM
i cant argue with what you have said FFW...as im sure there are better things out there, but....ms works for me, i like the way its setup and i can personalize it to however i want just about..and im sure if my computer came with another OS...i would like it just as much, plainly becuase thats what id be used too. Ive tried firefox 3 times, downloaded it..a few extensions...i just didnt like the change of it..so i switched back...the only thing i did like is what you mentioned, the tabbed windows..