PDA

View Full Version : Installing Valve Guides

TC426EX
04-21-2005, 05:45 PM
So I got all the parts I need to rebuild my entire engine. Ive sent out the crank + cylinder to GT Thunder to install my Carrillo rod/hardweld crank/bore the cylinder, and got everything else ready to go... Except one thing. I bent my 2 intake valves when the rod blew so I was out ready to install the new ones that came in the mail today. I should have looked closer before I ordered because there is a hairline crack in each of the 2 valve guides that i missed when I first went over them. Needless to say the order was placed with express shipping to get the new guides and seals but I dont know if Ill be able to install them or not.

Can valve guides be replaced on your own or do they need to be sent to a shop to get pressed out/in? There is no other damage to the head (thank GOD) so I dont want to cause any damage to the heart of this engine if it cant be done. I am however very mechanically inclined, and have rebuilt this entire engine and done every known repair to it before. So if there is a way to do it, Im capable, but if it has to go to a machine shop, Ill have to suck it up and open the wallet yet again... Let me know, all you motor guys out there... Thanks in advance.

T.Hopp
04-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Do you have a service manual? I saw in mine where it describes how to replace them. It involves heating the head in an oven and driving them out. To install new guides, it said to freeze the new guides and heat the head to 350 degrees and the cold guides suppose to install easier. I don't recall reading about any speacial tools needed. Hope this helps.

TC426EX
04-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah well I just looked it up and Im probably just gonna send this to Laz to do as well since he has my other stuff and has fast turnaround. Id do this but after seeing whats involved with all the heating and everything, its best I leave it to a pro. Besides the cam, hinson clutch and shaved flywheel, this head is all that remains of my original TC engine. If I screw this up and damage the head with all the porting/aftermarket valves, etc. Id probably just hang it up and quit...

dork
04-22-2005, 10:52 AM
after you install the guides, you have to ream them to the correct size for the vavle stem, and you should re cut the seats.