PDA

View Full Version : Bearings are shot.

MOFO
05-16-2002, 05:59 AM
Welp, its time to replace my rear axle bearings on my 400. I took her out for a spin last night and noticed some play in the rear. I'm picking up my bearings and seals after work today. Just wondering what all is involved with replacing these bad boys.....any tricks or tips? Thanks....

Eric

crashinmatt
05-16-2002, 06:22 AM
a hydralic(sp) press works great taking the old bearings out and puttin new ones in. if u dont have a press then u might be able to use a hammer and a punch to remove the old bearings. and to install the new ones, u need to find something that is about the size of the total diameter of the bearing, and just tap the new ones in gently. ive seen this done on other bearings and think it should work the same, just have to take it a little easier.

05-16-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6
Just wondering what all is involved with replacing these bad boys.....any tricks or tips? Thanks....

Eric

From what I've read it's a nightmare,,,get plenty of heineken for the job Eric. In the service manual it looks easy,,but from what I've read there are secrets to making it easier and I'm sure a few of the guys that have done this will fill ya in on the details..I'll be goin the sissy way about it and just buyin a new aftermarket carrier. good luck and keep the beer consumption to 2 beers per hour.

MOFO
05-16-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Rico

From what I've read it's a nightmare,,,get plenty of heineken for the job Eric. In the service manual it looks easy,,but from what I've read there are secrets to making it easier and I'm sure a few of the guys that have done this will fill ya in on the details..I'll be goin the sissy way about it and just buyin a new aftermarket carrier. good luck and keep the beer consumption to 2 beers per hour.

Well, I know one thing for sure....the beer consumption will probably exceed the 2 per hour if it becomes a mess. :D Hopefully I can find time to get it done before Saturday (Marienville Tour De Forest ride).

Eric

redrizza
05-16-2002, 06:41 AM
This is what I've found to be the easiest way. After you have the carrier out, take all the gaskets and seals off of it. I used a handheld torch, and suggest using a handheld (small tanks you can get at walmart, homedepot,ect.) so you don't damage the carrier with too much heat. Heat up the carrier on the end(where it holds the bearing). Once you've got it hot enough, you should be able to knock it on the work bench, tap it out with a hammer, or use a screwdriver to hammer it out from the other side. Because the alluminum carrier will have expanded, it will allow the bearing to fall right out(if it's clean). Put the new bearings in your freezer for at least a half hour before installation. This way the bearing metal will be contracted (smaller) and it'll tap right into the carrier. Don't forget to pack plenty of grease behind those bearings and spacer to keep out unwanted elements. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, if you don't want to scar your carrier all up, lay a nice thick rag (non-flamable:o ) on your work area.

Good luck!

ChadEXer
05-16-2002, 07:13 AM
What redrizza said is definately the easiest way to do it (besides getting a new carrier:D ) Its kind of like what I did with my hub bearings,,,I put the bearings in the freezer and put the hub in the oven for a little while and they went in much easier!! i used a little vaseline inside the hub for it to slide in easier:D

CranMan
05-16-2002, 07:14 AM
In the carrier, between the bearings, is a tube spacer. The spacer is the same inside diameter as the bearings, and it's hard to get a punch to catch against the inside lip of the bearings when you're trying to drive them out. What you can do is take a dremel and grind out a small notch on the spacer, so that you'll be able to catch the edge of the bearing from the inside and drive it out. You can turn the spacer 180' every now and then to drive the bearing out evenly. Once you get one bearing out, you can remove the spacer, and the second bearings easy.

SGA
05-16-2002, 09:12 AM
The bearings in the freezer is a good tip. We used to do that alot when I worked at the import shop.

MOFO
05-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like my bearings will be in the freezer until I get a chance to replace them :D While I rip this thing apart, I'll try to take some pics for future reference on this site.

Eric

knighttime
05-16-2002, 12:01 PM
I'd like to c what this looks like. Could a local shop do it for cheap? :confused:

MOFO
05-16-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
I'd like to c what this looks like. Could a local shop do it for cheap? :confused:

ahhh, I wouldnt do a local shop (ie Northgate Honda)....they wanted $32 for each bearing (x2= $64) + $10.00 for each seal (x2 = $20) for a grand total of $84 just for parts?!?!?!!? I could only imagine what they would try to charge if they installed them...probably around $200-$300 with their crazy labor rates.... BLAH!!! :D

All you need is some bud's in the fridge and a BMFH....

Oh and BTW, I did not pay that much...I found them ALOT cheaper at a different shop...

05-16-2002, 12:25 PM

All you need is some bud's in the fridge and a BMFH....

just make sure monkey boy brings his service manual..:eek: LOL

They make it look like a easy task in my service manual but from what everybody says that's done it,,,it ain't no walk in the park..Don't feel bad though eric,,I gotta get out my BMFH tonight too and replace the lower bushings in my works shocks..:( but I don't have any buds in the fridge though..:(

knighttime
05-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Please save your receipts. I wanna buy the same parts and do the same rebuild.

:cool:

knighttime
05-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Rico

..:( but I don't have any buds in the fridge though..:(

Why dont u buy some bud after work? :D

05-16-2002, 12:28 PM
It seems that eric's bearings shouldn't be worn out yet...but now that I think about it,,ya'll ride in alot of mud and water,,and plus ya'll run them big 0le puppy squashers on the back of them things:eek: so I can see how the axle bearings are getting abused.

knighttime I'll be stopping at the first store I come too. To restock my inventory..:devil

knighttime
05-16-2002, 01:20 PM
do u know if your bearings are bad?

Or should i just be done with it and replace the mofo's? :confused:

Razorback
05-16-2002, 01:39 PM
first, if the axle has any play in it at all (jack the quad up and grab one of the wheels and try to move it back and forth and up and down, then do the other wheel - you should feel no slack). if you have the axle taken out, you should be able to feel the inner race on the bearings (the metal ring) and turn it. if it feels loose at all, then they should be replaced.

personally, with the cost of the bearings and having a dealer replace them, you're well over half the cost of a much better aftermarket bearing carrier with bearings already installed. i'm getting a twin-row RAD carrier with an external zerk fitting (hopefully, any day now), and i'll post about the quality and install of it.

ranger400ex
05-16-2002, 02:14 PM
Hey everyone check out www.meszmoto.com for one of the best carrier at a price that kills everyone else. They are the cheapest place for bearings, their version of a twin-row(SWEET!!), an axle nut that is putting everyone else to shame and at a better price.

ChadEXer
05-16-2002, 02:59 PM
The meszmoto stuff is nice but you can get the RAD carrier and nut from Marcums for a bit cheaper shipped!!!! and the RAD stuff is definately one of the nicest out there!!!!

ranger400ex
05-16-2002, 03:45 PM
after grenading two rad nuts :( it was time to find something that works and the mesz nut is it. check it out, the ring is stainless and it is supported by the nut, not by thin air. Their carrier is cheaper than rad too. the zerk inside keeps it protected and doesn't limit chain adjustment. rad needs a redisgn

Mesz' nut

twinrow carrier

bearing sets 29.99

hard to beat, and Bob Meszaro stands behind his work.

ranger400ex
05-16-2002, 03:45 PM
here is the carrier

MOFO
05-16-2002, 03:48 PM
I blame my early wear on the number of hours I have on the bike & the fact I can be a bit of a mud pig some of the times. :D Like Rico said, water, mud & honk'in $hit grabbers in the rear helped wear them out faster.

I just got back from picking the bearings up. Hopefully I can get those mofo's in tomorrow if time allows <fingers crossed>.

Eric

ChadEXer
05-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
after grenading two rad nuts :( it was time to find something that works and the mesz nut is it. check it out, the ring is stainless and it is supported by the nut, not by thin air. Their carrier is cheaper than rad too. the zerk inside keeps it protected and doesn't limit chain adjustment. rad needs a redisgn

Mesz' nut

twinrow carrier

bearing sets 29.99

hard to beat, and Bob Meszaro stands behind his work.
Well I got my RAD carrier from Marcums cheaper than they sell there carriers! Have you ever seen a RAD carrier,,,designed a little better than those Mesz's if you ask me,,you either have to drill a hole in the swingarm or take it out to put grease in those when with the RAD you can shoot grease in from the side. you dont even have their stuff yet,,how do you know if its any better??

ranger400ex
05-17-2002, 09:04 AM
I have the rad carrier (Used 8months)which is laying on my bench for sale right now, used in good shape(make offer), but you have to space the skid or not use all of the chain adjustment. My bud John and his brother are both running the mesz carrier after my experience witht the rad and an RPM carrier splitting. His is on a 250r and his brothers is on a 99ex. They have both worked out flawlessly. One small hole in the swingarm and a nice pluig and no worriew of lost chain adjustment, zerks breaking off or in the way of adjustment. Plus the twin row bearing offer better stability. And after the luck with the RAD nut anything has got to be better, even a PVC pipe nut. JK :) seriously though all the carriers have advantages and disadvantages, but MY experience has been badluck and hassle with the two RAD components and only good things about the Mesz carrier from two fellow riders which I hang out and ride with all the time. I hope that mine performs,and is as durable as theirs.

By the way the Mesz nut is holding up very well(no splits or cracks yet), and I designed a wrench here at work to use on it. I'll send a pic when it is finished. Maybe someone else might want one for themselves.

later

BMW

ChadEXer
05-17-2002, 09:13 AM
I dont think RAD is that bad,,,you just got bad luck!!! the carriers are basically designed the same, except for location of the grease zerk!! Both have twin row bearings too!!

ranger400ex
05-17-2002, 10:58 AM
their are differences in machining tolerances too. and what a difference these can make, the nut problem for example.

BMW

knighttime
05-19-2002, 01:38 PM
Have u replaced the bearings yet? If so, how bad did it suck? :confused:

I checked and I have about a 1/16"-1/8" of play in them. Looks like I have to replace them also. :(

MOFO
05-20-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
Have u replaced the bearings yet? If so, how bad did it suck? :confused:

I checked and I have about a 1/16"-1/8" of play in them. Looks like I have to replace them also. :(

I did not get around to replacing them this weekend. :mad: I ended up down in Pittsburgh for the weekend (G/F). I'm hoping tonight to maybe do them....

Eric

SGA
05-20-2002, 08:01 AM

I ended up down in Pittsburgh for the weekend (G/F). I'm hoping tonight to maybe do them....

Eric You lucky dog! Then maybe you'll have some time for the bearings! LOL:blah