PDA

View Full Version : 300EX trans problem

Nate Dogg #76
04-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I have a problem with my 300EX racer. When I hold the clutch in put it in gear and let the clutch out it won't move. The clutch feels fine and it will shift threw all the gears. What's the problem? Can anyone help?

Israeli 300EX
04-23-2005, 05:44 PM
try to check if you have a drive chain. LOL

with engine is off, put in a low gear and try to move your ATV.
don't pull the clutch when you try o move it and see if you hear a noise from gear box or you can feel a normal resistance.

if you feel some resistance and you can hear a normal noise from gear box it's probably it's a clutch problem.
try also to pull clutch perch when moving ATV and see if there is any change with resistance.

Nate Dogg #76
04-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Israeli 300EX. I think it's a clutch problem, but exactly what? Let me explain a little better. Like I said in the first post when it's in gear and the clutch is released it won't move. With the clutch lever released you can shift threw all the gears and I can hear a winding noise. If the clutches were fried I couldn't shift the gears with the lever released, right? It's like the clutches are stuck in the "engaged" position. I'm going to open it up on sunday to find out. Thanks for your help.

Israeli 300EX
04-24-2005, 08:19 AM
forgive me for my poor language.

if your problem came from cluth - i can think about 2 options cause it.

1st - the clutch plate is under tha service limit and must be replaced.
clutch slides

2nd - the clutch basket is dammege and the clutch plate can not pressed and pass movement on to wheels.
clutch disengage.

is your problem just appear or you feel something before?
give some more information about the engine nearest history.

i reccomended you not to open clutch cover if you haven't some experience or w/out workshop manual

I'll try to keep an eye here and help you on line ASAP but there is about 8 hours between us

good luck

Nate Dogg #76
04-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks again Israeli 300EX. I dicovered my problem upon close inspection. It's going to surprise you, it did me. Get ready for this answer. lol The sprocket shaft is stripped!!!!! I pulled the sprocket cover off and it was obvious what the problem was. The shaft spins and the sprocket doesn't move. Looks like I'm going to pull the motor and split the cases.

Israeli 300EX
04-26-2005, 01:57 AM
very sorry to hear that.

If you will need any information while doing that job, please let me know and i'll try to help as much as i can.

Out_Sider
04-26-2005, 11:59 AM
i thought my transmission lost 3rd gear but it was just my shift lever was gettin stuck on the side cover and wouldnt let me shift.. i bent it outwards some, and its been great ever since :macho