PDA

View Full Version : antiseize on oil drain bolt

nosliw
04-21-2005, 04:32 PM
is it ok to put some antiseize on the oiltank drain bolt on my ex? i know it's fine for the oil filter housing because the bolts arent really next to any oil, but do you think that some of that stuff might get 'pushed' up into the tank when i screw it in? i know this is probably a dumb question but i would rather ask dumb questions than have a screwed up engine :eek:

chucked
04-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Its a great idea! I put it on the drain bolts, spark plug, oil filter cover screws....

JOEX
04-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I doubt there would be a problem unless you over do it:p

The crush washer is what really should be relaced on both drain bolts even though most people don't, myself included:ermm:

JOEX
04-21-2005, 09:14 PM

The crush washer is what really should be relaced on both drain bolts even though most people don't, myself included:ermm:

nosliw
04-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

me neither :rolleyes:

but i did make an attempt once. problem was that the employee at the dealership said there were no washers, and i didnt feel like arguing..... hey, any excuse to procrastinate!!! :blah:

thanks for the help
you too chucked:chinese:

cds
04-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Not to be a smart alec, but...

It's probably not likely that an oil drain bolt is going to seize.

The threads of that bolt are constantly getting oiled.

Happy riding,
cd

nosliw
04-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by cds

Happy riding,
cd

:rolleyes: your lucky. they seize, round, and strip just like anyother bolt.

chucked
04-22-2005, 02:20 PM
they sieze all the time, then peopel break off the whole area around the drain plug, Theres threads about it all the time

AtvMxRider
04-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by cds

Happy riding,
cd

The threads are not oiled. Apparently you have never broken a oil tank;)

cds
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
The oil wicks between the bolt threads and the oil tank threads.

If you put an oil drain plug on without the crush washer, it will drip. The washer is ultimately what keeps your oil from dripping onto the ground.

chucked
04-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by cds
The oil wicks between the bolt threads and the oil tank threads.

If you put an oil drain plug on without the crush washer, it will drip. The washer is ultimately what keeps your oil from dripping onto the ground.

no, it doesnt work like that

bwamos
05-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by cds

Happy riding,
cd

The clearance between the threads and the bolt when tightened down is all at the top side of the bolt thread.. the bottom side is compressed and "oil tight" the wicking is on the top side of the thread only, which is helical so it will still leak w/o a brass washer. The bottom half of the threads retain all the tension and will still sieze just like any dry bolt will.

See sketch for a quick pictoral.

ryann mx68
05-05-2005, 05:16 PM
bel-ray makes an assembly lube that you use when putting engines back together, safe for internal of engines, about $8 for a 1/2 pint. i use everywhere on my quad and mx bike, prevents thread galling and better torque readings. the bottle has lasted a few years, its like anti-seize but a little diff.

nosliw
05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
is it also ok to put the stuff on wheel lugs? just cleaned up my front end and i did it so i hope it's alright :scary:

ryann mx68
05-06-2005, 06:58 PM
i put it on every bolt that doesnt have to be locktited. its called bel-ray moly lube. good for rebuilds, routine maint. never tried on lugs but i dont see why not.

chucked
05-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I would not use them on lugs, if you use them to put a lug on, when you tighten it, it will tighten up more then normal, then when u ride it will wash off, then it will make it harder to remove the lugs, also it could do damage to the rim

cds
05-07-2005, 08:43 AM
bwamos,

Thanks for the drawing. It was very descriptive.