PDA

View Full Version : Getting springs off

TheFontMaster
04-21-2005, 01:39 PM
I need to get the springs off my shocks, The local dealer wants 30 dollars to get them off both front shocks. They are works tripple rates. I head that if you loosen the preload enough then you can get them off without a spring compressor. How do I loosen the pre load so that I can get them off. I don't want to be stuck paying 60 dollars on this.

Thanks.

TheFontMaster
04-21-2005, 05:45 PM
bump, I need to figure out how to get these springs of myself.

baker250r
04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
im wondering the same thing... but with ohlins shocks....

Cody_300ex
04-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Ok I take a strap down hook one end to the highest possible coil, then hook the other end to the jack (make sure it is a heavy jack!!). Then crank her up just enough to where it shows a little clip, move that clip to the VERY top ring, or completey off eaither way. Your springs should be loose enough to take off now. Now remove the spring retainer at the bottom of the shock. Your springs should now fall off. :D

MoToX199
04-23-2005, 04:29 PM
i was wondering the same thing but with stock shocks

project R
04-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Just loosen the preload up all the way and you can easily take the retainer out.

TheFontMaster
04-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Well I got the retainer clip and the bottom 2 springs off, but there are these little space plates, in between the shocks, and they don't fit over the thing at the very bottom of the shock where it bolts up to the a arm. I have been trying for the last 20 mins to get the things off the bottom of the shock, they twist in the housing, but I can't get them out.