PDA

View Full Version : 05 400ex or trx450/yfz450?

Swamp_Stomper
04-21-2005, 09:44 AM
I like all three of these and I cant decide which one my friend went and bought a 05 450 and its his first quad he bought it to showout or somethin but I got on it (first time riding a quad since the wreck oct 31) and showed him how to ride it he was like "dam I didnt know you could ride like that, but onto my question whats everybodys thoughts on the new 400ex I love the older ones but since the new 450s are out I am kinda leaning towards them but I mostly trail ride but I want to slowly get into racing I just have to wait for my neck to fully heal since the wreck oct 31 broke one place in my neck and 2 places in my back, but another question what all is changed on the 400ex besides the plastic and reverse also how do the 05 ex's compare to the kfx 400s?

thanks,
Aaric

jjohnst03
04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
The only thing changed with the 05 EX is reverse, plastic, and extra weight. I went with the 04 EX becaue of the weight.

I wouldnt go with a 450 for trail riding. They require a bit more maintinance and you may not want to deal with that.

If you are looking at the KFX I would go with the Suzuki Z400. It has some new stuff for 05 that the KFX didnt get. They reground the cam to add to the power. The Z/KFX will outpower an EX.

Overalll I would go with an EX or a Z. The EX is bulletproof and easy to take care of, but the Z will outpower it.

TC426EX
04-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Id go with the 450R all the way. The 05 EX just has new plastic, reverse, and a 38mm carb I believe while the older ones came with a 35.5mm...

The 400ex of course is a great quad, I still love mine enough to hold off getting a 450. But like anything else, once you have the quad for a while, youll naturally want to make it faster and start adding things. Since you eventually want to get into racing, I think the 450R would be a better investment for you. If you want to go with an EX, just get a good used one for cheap since unfortunately these bikes have depreciated bigtime with the new stuff out (another reason I havent got rid of my 400).

The 450 will have plenty of power everywhere to keep you happy for a while, then all youd really need to do is add a good exhaust, cam and maybe a piston and youd be mint. You could concentrate on setting up the chassis first if you plan on modifying it at all since the motor should satisfy you for a while. They handle great in the woods, just like the 400ex, and also are great on the mx track as you can see with some chassis work. The 450R is easier to ride than the YFZ because even though it has as much power, it comes on smoother than the YFZ which is more punchy and abrupt. As far as a KFX/Z400, just stay away from those all together in my opinion, they are the worst bikes ever built. Nothing but reliability problems and headaches from every person I know who has one... Besides being liquid cooled with some new shocks, I think youd find theres not much a Z/KFX has over the EX, and it definitely doesnt have anything on the R. So go with the 450R and have a happy recovery!

jjohnst03
04-21-2005, 10:16 AM
The R is a great bike. I just dont think it makes a good trail bike. Its a pain when you stall in the middle of the trail and people have to wait for you to get it kicked over or if you stall on a hill or something.

Other than that I have no complaints about them at all. They are great bikes.

Swamp_Stomper
04-21-2005, 10:26 AM
thanks for the replies I loved how my friends 450 was I am hoping to find somebody with a yfz 450 around here to let me ride it and see how it feels compared to the hondas, I just wanted to make sure that the 400ex handled the same as the 04-ones another friend has a 02 and me and him use to switch quads when we went riding but since I dont have the grizz anymore I need another quad its driving me crazy not being able to ride lol, I am going by the local dealer sometime this afternoon and look at the yamaha and hondas to help make my mind up :)

thanks again,
Aaric

jjohnst03
04-21-2005, 10:31 AM
If you decide to go with an EX get a price for an 04. I got my 04 for $4400 OTD. It was $4100 before taxes. They had to order it, but it only took a week to get it.

400exredrider
04-21-2005, 02:00 PM
wait till june,,, YFZ will be a true 450:D or just get a 450r now

jjohnst03
04-21-2005, 02:04 PM
The suzuki 450 should at least be announced by then too.

400exredrider
04-21-2005, 02:17 PM
nah,, it will take awhile for suzuki to rack something up,, the 450 engine hasnt been out long.. if they slop something out itll be something thatll break for the first few years

jjohnst03
04-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Its supposed to be released between June and August. and to the dealer around september. I think it will be a good bike myself.