PDA

View Full Version : Vortex CDI?

Airik79mx
04-20-2005, 09:03 PM
I was thinking about getting a Vortex CDI but I have stock valves and was wondering if I get the cdi will there be a good chance of floating a valve because of the higher rev limiter? Also, for those who have it , is it really worth it? Because I've never been a big fan of chaning the cdi but this one seems to be pretty good...Thanks

I have a pipe, FCR carb, piston, cam, and porting.

slosh13
04-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey man, I finally got a chance to ride mine this weekend and let me tell you it is worth the money IMO. Mark Baldwin setup everything for me as far as the wiring and cdi go ( I switched from all stock harness to modified one )and he built my motor as well. The thing runs real strong through out bottom, mid, and top. Id say if your racing MX, its the way to go:)

bbrad mulvey
04-21-2005, 09:31 PM
I got one, and love it. It REALLY brought the top end alive! I went from not being the first out of the holeshot to ALWAYS being first in the holeshot. After that I just suck:D

Airik79mx
04-21-2005, 11:35 PM
So they make a big power gains but, what about my stock valves and springs??? Can they handle revs that high with out valve float? What valves are you guy's using?

bbrad mulvey
04-22-2005, 01:29 PM
I have the hrc kit and stock valvetrain and there is not even a slightest hint of floating. Everything runs great all the time

slosh13
04-22-2005, 01:51 PM
no problems here.. Ive got aftermarket valves, springs, piston, cam, carb, ported head, vortex CDI, K&N air filter, and sparks stainless. It's a handfull let me tell ya. Never had a problem.:macho

Airik79mx
04-22-2005, 04:28 PM
thanks for the input guys:D

brandonpeake
04-22-2005, 05:32 PM
i got a vortex i ll sell if u guys are interested i bought it for my quad and have decided to go another route

86atc250r
04-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Don't let everyone get you all pumped up about the Vortex - it doesn't really offer any power gains (I had one on my quad for about 6 months & It's been tested on the dyno by several people)

If you have a domed piston and a big cam (like the HRC) be concerned about valve float.

If you have a flat top piston and/or a smaller cam, valve float may still be there but may not be as big a problem.

The guy I sold my vortex to floated his valves and broke one off in the first few minutes he rode it - he had a 13.8:1 piston and HRC cam. I never had a problem in my bike (but I likely have more piston to valve clearance since my piston is a flat top).

All in all - don't bother unless you find yourself bouncing off the stock rev-limit a lot & it really bothers you. Don't expect a big power increase because it just isn't there - after I installed mine:

1.) I didn't feel any seat of the pants increase

2.) my times at the drag strip did not improve

3.) it didn't show any gains on the dyno

If you need a programmable box to squeeze performance out of your build, you've got a radical cam, compression, and aftermarket springs --- or you just *really* want a higher rev-limit and you are willing to accept the potential consequences - then go for it. Otherwise save your $400 for other mods.

Airik79mx
04-22-2005, 07:58 PM
hmmm....thats a few good points there 86atc250r.... A few people told me that you should shift 500 rpms before the rev limiter kicks in anyway because thats where the motor stops making peak power. I'm not hitting the limiter to much. Just looking for that finishing touch of power. For my riding style I don't think I would benifit from that CDI. I like short shifting it and letting it pull though.. Also, I have the JE 13.8:1 with the Baldwin MX cam with stock valves/springs so I guess I should stay where I'm at.

wppracing
04-23-2005, 05:14 AM
I have the Vortex he is talking about. I did float an intake spring and hit the dome and bent the valve. I replaced the intake valves with CRF450 Titanium intake valves and installed NEW springs. I also ported the head while it was off.
I increased the exhaust valve clearance to .012 also.
The tracks I ride on need a 13/39 gearing so the extra revs help me alot. I am glad I fixed the head for about $100.00 and it rides and runs better than ever. It was probally time for the springs to go, I have had over 55 runs on a dyno with new items fthat were tested.

With Ti valves they will wear faster- about 5-6 months of hard riding and then you will have to adjust the valves again. You might get about 2-3 months of the same riding. NOW its time to replace the valves and springs. Its more maintance but thats what it takes .
:D
You also can have the Vortex reprogrammed with custom timing curves.

Airik79mx
04-23-2005, 06:41 AM
So I can use the stock CRF intake valves??? I heard that you couldn't? Thats cools if I can because I can get them really cheap. Also, you said that you put new springs in. Stock springs?

wppracing
04-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Yes, The CRF450 intake valves only will work. The intake springs are the same also. The exhaust will NOT work. They are a different size. If you have a lot of hard riding on it, I would install the Ti valves, replace the valve seals and all springs and inspect the seats. Clean and inspect the exhaust valves also.

bbrad mulvey
04-23-2005, 10:56 AM
thanks guys now you all have me worried about my vortex and ngine combo! I am just about to buy a 13:1 kit where should I go to get one?Thanks
>dont mean to highjack your thread by the way<

mikes450r
04-24-2005, 08:58 PM
what do you guys think about the new dynatek coming out..or going with the trail tech flywheel

R3Concepts
04-24-2005, 09:17 PM
From what the trailtech rep posts on here has said that the vortex isnt even comparable to the CRF ignition with the 14oz flywheel that they sell..do a search and try to find the post that they did.. but from what I remember he said the difference was night and day.

slosh13
04-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Would this be it?

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150395 (http://)