PDA

View Full Version : HELP LT80 clutch mods gone bad

Chillinthemost
04-20-2005, 07:16 PM
I made a few motor mods to my daughters Suzuki. I wanted to play with the clutch to raise the stall speed a little and experiment with the rollers. When I was taking the nut off the variator pulley, the threads came with it. Does this mean a new crank? I'm going to look tomorrow to see if I can find a die slightly smaller and re thread it slightly smaller with a new nut. As if that wasnt enough I still didnt get the rear clutch off, is it reverse threaded? I thought that I had researched this enough and it would be a breeze. This is a real bummer, she has a race Sat.

jst
04-21-2005, 02:25 AM
I don't remember about thr rear end but going the die route will be the perfect fix.I had a 330R that we stripped a brand new crank,I was bummed but in less than 2 hrs. and a trip to the hardware store we had it runnin again.I sold the quad 3 yrs later and never had any problems with the crank.

LT80
04-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Yes, get a die and re-thread. If I remember correctly we used regular thread, not metric to fix it.
The rear clutch nut is right hand thread.

Remove 2 of the rollers.
Sand the contact pads on the rear with a medium grit sandpaper "lightly".

Chillinthemost
04-22-2005, 09:01 AM
I fixed it with a 7/16 x 20 fine thread tap. It was slightly smaller than the 12mmx 1.25 and it seems to be fine.