PDA

View Full Version : Good first truck?

roostin_dale
04-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Well, i want to buy a truck so i can throw my quad in and go ride whenever i want and not have to borrow my dads truck, right now i have a grand prix.

I want it to have a topper, yes it sounds lame but it will protect my quad from the weather, i have alot of money into it and i dont like it sitting outside. So i want a truck big enough for it to fit in the back with a topper on. Just give your opinion on it...what you think is a good first truck...not looking to spend a fortune...

Quiksilver01
04-20-2005, 02:44 PM
your gonna have to get a huge topper i havent seen one so far that could fit a quad so what ever truck you get make sure they make a big topper for it

chucked
04-20-2005, 02:49 PM
that would be a humongous topper

ZSK
04-20-2005, 03:14 PM
The mid 90's Fords and Chevys are good deals. Personally I wouldn't buy a Dodge. The Chevys have had no problems other than an intake gasket going. Fords will have the passenger side exhaust manifold crack and leak. I'd get a 4x4 ranger or S-10 and an enclosed trailer but since you want a topper you'll need 1/2 or 3/4 ton and the style pictured below and you'll have to load the quad backwards. The gas prices the way they are I'd get the Ranger or smaller truck. The reason I didn't mention anything foriegn is that my grandpa would shoot me.

http://michigandirtslingers.com/ipw-web/gallery/albums/Cleanshave300EX/T_Class_strip_in1.jpg

roostin_dale
04-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Quiksilver01
your gonna have to get a huge topper i havent seen one so far that could fit a quad so what ever truck you get make sure they make a big topper for it

they will fit. If they wont you can just loosen the handlebar bolts and lay the bars over...theres a couple local guys that have the really tall toppers and they throw thier quad in the back of it..

Stevie-D
04-20-2005, 06:04 PM
you could always buy my 95 dakota;)

my first vehicle, now for sale. asking 5k for it. you could get a top for it, but then you would have to remove the nice shiny chrome rollbar and lights:(

Hondadudeehhhh
04-20-2005, 06:37 PM
a Dodge 3500 dually is what my uncle has. My ex fits in that bad boy with the cap.

If you have the cash you can get a nice vehicle, being an f-250. THey make some pretty huge tops for those

Honda400exrox
04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
if youu want a good truck, get a ford:D :cool: then put a topper, or buy one with a topper lol

TheFontMaster
04-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't see why you would need a topper, you just gonna take the quad off the truck and beat on it at the track. I would say just get a small encolsed trailer if you really want to have the quad protected for when you move it.

FoxRacing81
04-20-2005, 08:04 PM
my dad had a small cap on his silverado...and since my quad was low in the front it just fit in the bed with it on.

but loosening the handlebars and bending them down would work...or letting the air out of the tires.

-Justin

SRH
04-20-2005, 08:04 PM
if i was you my 2 choices would be utility van like a e 150 or a small sized truck with the cap that is taller like a ranger

Mxjunkie
04-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Toppers :confused: lol I allways call them Caps.. But I guess it depends where your from.

I'd get a Chevy or GMC, But I'm a general motors man my self :devil:

Sportrax10
04-20-2005, 08:22 PM
My first trucks gonna be a 95 Chevy 1500 z71 which im picking up in a couple of weeks.. :macho

bad01300ex
04-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Just find something you like thats a good price, if your into trucks, wait and get the one you want, ive made that mistake twice, once with the 300ex i bout when i really wanted something bigger, and then when i got my truck, Iv got a reg cab 01 ranger edge, which isnt a bad truck at all, but its not what i really wanted to get, and there isnt much room in it. As far as gettin a good first truck, rangers are pretty good, your gonna have people in here sayin "get a ford", or "get a chevy" bc one is better than the other, but really its about like peopl arguing about which 450 is better, they both have the ups/downs and problem spots.
Just get something you like.

roostin_dale
04-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by SRH
if i was you my 2 choices would be utility van like a e 150 or a small sized truck with the cap that is taller like a ranger

Yea, ive been thinking about a Cargo Van, but it would also have to be my daily drive...that would actually be kinda cool, lol.

FontMaster, we already have a Big enclosed trailer but i dont want to load the damn thing up everytime i go ride.

I don't see why you would need a topper, you just gonna take the quad off the truck and beat on it at the track

Sorry if you dont care about your quad. I have alot of money in my quads, i dont want them going down the road in the rain and whatnot, puts alot of stress on your fenders going down the interstate too...:rolleyes:

Butters
04-20-2005, 09:27 PM
i would go with a fullsize truck for sure cause in the long run you can do more with it

SRH
04-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Butters
i would go with a fullsize truck for sure cause in the long run you can do more with it

gas is up to almost 3 bucks a gallon here in ny, its retarded to own a full size truck right now unless A. your rich or B. its an absolute necessity

i laugh at alot of these guys who will buy some ****box car drive it 6 days a week just so they can drive there fullsize truck to the supermarket once a week and pay 500 bucks a month payment on it and it costs them out the *** for gas, they wont bring themselves to own something sensible like a ranger, daktoa or s 10

JohnO
04-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Definately go with a full size. If you get the extended height of the topper on the back you can still load the quad in backwards and just compress the front end down and push it right in without lowering the bars.

Buddy had a small PU and the main prob is that most quads don't clear the wheel wells. With a topper/cap on that makes for some fun times. Best of luck in your endeavors.

I get called grandpa alot for having my raised cap on mine but they all come running when they want to keep something dry or locked up.:D

bad01300ex
04-20-2005, 10:01 PM
dont get a fullsize cause your gonna spend all your money on gas, and have none left for your quad:(