PDA

View Full Version : Removing Engine Balancer

rooster300ex
04-20-2005, 11:51 AM
I took my 300ex to a quad shop to get it fixed after i pulled the sleeve down into the engine. anyways he got all the parts he needed to fix it,sleeve,piston,some bearings and things and puts it back together and there is a funky noise inside the bottom end. he takes it apart and says when the sleeve got pulled down in the engine it wasn't pretty and burred up the crankshaft gear making it knock, so he says i have these choices, throw another 600 bucks to fix it,leave the balancer out, or put it back in and listen to it knock. i picked to leave the balancer out cuz i have no more money just enough for what has been done. the machanic said he's done it before and alot of racers do it. what do yall think about removing the balancer.

2muchquad
04-20-2005, 12:36 PM
i have heard of guys doing it to help the motor rev quicker,you may notice some increased vibration but it shouldnt be too bad.try a yz490 motor in a blaster if you want vibration!since its only a 300ex i wouldnt think you would have any shortened rod life.:)

rooster300ex
04-20-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm liking what i'm hearing so far.

2muchquad
04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
i actually thought about taking mine out my yzf but i need it in there because it drives the water pump..:( i may lighten it considerably though

rooster300ex
04-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Damn i never thought about that. It would make it alot lighter. which would rev quicker. hell yea

wilkin250r
04-20-2005, 02:52 PM
It will also vibrate a lot more, and that increased vibration will cause increased wear, which means GREATER costs down the road.

jjohnst03
04-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah. You will have to locktight all the bolts on the frame. You may even want to add some rubber into the motor mounts to decrease the vibrations. They put the ballancers in there for a reason and its not just to slow the motor down or add to rotating mass.

rooster300ex
04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
either leave it out or pay 600 more dollars which i don't have and prolly won't for a long long time. do u really think it will mess it up its just a 300.

jjohnst03
04-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I dont think it will hurt the motor. It will just add stress and fatigue to your frame. You will have to do more maintenance on your frame and watch for cracks around the motor mounts.

rooster300ex
04-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Yea i see what ya mean.

2muchquad
04-20-2005, 06:38 PM
if you had a full blown race motor i could see,but the vibration or engine wear wont be a factor on your 300.:)

rooster300ex
04-20-2005, 07:53 PM
so they put the balancer there to reduce vibration. and thats all?

BSTURDIVANT
04-20-2005, 08:24 PM
If you don't have the money to replace, just take a die grinder and small disc to clean up the gear teeth! noise will get better with time! You won't like the vibration and neither will your frame if you leave it out!

rooster300ex
04-21-2005, 06:10 AM
trust me the mechanic has cleaned them more then once. i'm afraid that that knocking will cause problems.

44oEX
04-21-2005, 08:47 AM
if you take it out you will have less rotating mass witch means it will rev kicker but it will stall alot easier to. I say get a used balancer and trow that in there.

rooster300ex
04-21-2005, 10:41 AM
acutally the reason it knocks is the gear on the crankshaft and u can't buy the gear on the crankshaft seprate. i just have no more money. it sucks ya'll. and what do ya mean by it may stall easier, like make an example of when it may stall and stuff.

jjohnst03
04-21-2005, 11:19 AM
I am no motor expert so this is just a guess. It makes sense to me though.

The balancer adds to the rotating mass which would help keep the motor rotating when you are off the gas. Without it your motor would want to stop rotating faster when you get off the gas which might make it stall easier cause the RPMs would drop quicker. With it the extra rotating mass would help keep the RPMs up once you where going.

It makes sense to me, but I may be completly wrong.

44oEX
04-21-2005, 11:34 AM
your kind of right. the more spinning weight you have the more weight you have to stop to stall the engine. if you take off weight it's easier to make it stall. Like if you hit a rock or something and it sort of stops the tires, the most weight you have the less chance you have of it stalling.

and you can't buy the gear new BUT you can change it. find someone with a bad 300ex crank and buy it for a couple $$$ then take the gear and put it on your crank. I did it to a friends 300ex and it worked great.

2muchquad
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
if you cant find another balancer cheap,i would take it out if possible,dont mind the kids on here that have never even seen the inside of a motor.desperate times call for desperate measures..well sometimes anyhow,

i have a cr250 motor in my quad,i have had it for 3 years now,i havent had any problems with my frame cracking?its from a mx bike,it doesnt have a counter balancer.people tend to believe too many myths and what they read in magazines.i believe what i see not what i hear.:)

jjohnst03
04-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
if you cant find another balancer cheap,i would take it out if possible,dont mind the kids on here that have never even seen the inside of a motor.desperate times call for desperate measures..well sometimes anyhow,

i have a cr250 motor in my quad,i have had it for 3 years now,i havent had any problems with my frame cracking?its from a mx bike,it doesnt have a counter balancer.people tend to believe too many myths and what they read in magazines.i believe what i see not what i hear.:) Dirt bikes dont need a counter balancer. The forks soak up the vibrations. I never said that his frame would crack or fail. I said he should watch it closely cause I have heard of it happening. No it wont hurt the motor at all. It WILL vibrate more than it did. That WILL cause more stress on parts. More stress on parts WILL eventually make something fail. Thats a fact....not a guess.

44oEX
04-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad

i have a cr250 motor in my quad,i have had it for 3 years now,i havent had any problems with my frame cracking?its from a mx bike,it doesnt have a counter balancer.people tend to believe too many myths and what they read in magazines.i believe what i see not what i hear.:)

he said it the gear on the crank not the counter balancer thats the problem. fix the gear and put the balancer back in, it might not effect anything but it still has a purpose.

rooster300ex
04-22-2005, 10:43 AM
So do ya'll think its gonna blow up in a year or something,i have spent over 1000 dollars in mods and labor. u can see em below my post, and i usually just ride on the weekends, just play riding down trails and open areas, i don't race it.

jjohnst03
04-22-2005, 12:38 PM
like we have said. It will not hurt the motor. Just watch the frame and I would put some rubber in the motor mounts.

Mickey Dunlap
04-22-2005, 07:32 PM
On a 300ex it will crack the cases if you take it out. You can grind a 30 degree angle on both sides of the gear on both gears safely. Just think about it like you are making it look like a "A" at the top of the tooth instead of a square. Keep the top of the "A" about 4 mm wide on both gears and that shoud take care of the bad spot.

rooster300ex
04-23-2005, 06:35 AM
Now the cases are gonna crack. I don't think the mechanic would do that if the case is gonna crack on me. if it does straight to court.