PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Problem

Moonraker
04-20-2005, 12:02 AM
I have a 93 300ex and i just replaced piston rings (piston was ok) and put it all togther but I have a nasty overheating problem... oil is fine. dont know what else it could be... help plz.

Thanks.
Moonraker

Aceman
04-20-2005, 06:06 AM
Is this a stock motor? Is the motor clean, specifically no grit between the fins on the head and cylinder? How are you riding it when it overheats? If your riding first or second gear through the woods you need to speed it up a little to keep the air flow up. How do you know it's overheating? Does it start cutting out when your quad warms up? Coils have been known to go bad when they warm up(intermittent spark, no spark) which fixes itself as soon as the coil cools down, then you start it back up, coil heats up and you lose spark again. Oil coolers and air scoops are available for the 300 also to help your cooling problems.

Moonraker
04-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Its a stock motor, clean and no grit... she heats up no matter how im ridding. Ill take it down a cuple trails then speed up a bit to get more air to it but doesnt seem to help. doesnt cut out at all tho. It gets hot quick and stays hot long after ridding for about 20 minutes or so ill stop and let it cool cuz im still trying to let the rings seat nicley before i beat up on it too much but when i let it sit for about twenty minutes or so then come back and spit on the motor it burns off so quick you can hardly see it. Im not sure if its just because the rings or what. I also looked into my manual and checked on overheating problems and it says to look for excessive carbon deposits on the piston which i had none of.
how much do those air scoops and oil coolers usually run for?

polaris bob
04-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Did it overheat before you put new rings on? If the answer is no and you have made no other changes to the bike except putting rings on I would suspect that you have an air leak somewhere in the motor causing it to run lean. Could be a head or base gasket or the carb boot.

K_Fulk
04-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Oil pump might be bad.

bwamos
04-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by polaris bob
Did it overheat before you put new rings on? If the answer is no and you have made no other changes to the bike except putting rings on I would suspect that you have an air leak somewhere in the motor causing it to run lean. Could be a head or base gasket or the carb boot.

What he said.

You didn't re-use the old gaskets did you? If so.. you better go buy new ones. ;)

Moonraker
04-22-2005, 12:15 AM
lol no all new gaskets :)
Anyone know where I cant check out those oil coolers and air scoops online?

Moonraker
04-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Im pretty sure the oil pump is ok because im getting oil to the top of the motor... I dunno i have been reading alot of forums and it seems like the 300's just run really hot... kinda hope im wrong dont really like that much heat between my legs :devil:
maybe im just running lean

plkmonster2
04-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Just fatten the carb up a little. That should lower the temps a lot.