PDA

View Full Version : 300 ex cutting out

kwadzuki
04-19-2005, 09:43 PM
I have a 1996 300 ex. It cuts out at high rpm's.I have replaced the coil,the plug wire,boot,cdi box,checked the valves,and checked the carb. for restrictions.I was curious to see if anybody has any suggestions on what my problem could be. When it cuts out it sounds and acts like the rev limiter for reverse.
Thanks for any help,
Mike G.

bradley300
04-20-2005, 07:31 AM
check the stator, i had the stator come loose inside the cover and it acted similar

300ex73
04-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Well, my first question would be, have you upgraded the exhaust recently. If so, your jetting could be off. Also make sure that your choke is not on. It's really hard to tell without getting some more detailed info, or actually checking it in person. However, if you take out the spark plug, and it's really black, you're running too rich. If it's white, then it's too lean. My best guess would be to tell you that if you've not already done so, would be to install a jet kit. Follow the directions precisely, and it should take care of it. If this doesn't help, you may want to make sure that your fuel line is not clogged.

Israeli 300EX
04-23-2005, 06:17 PM
try check the electric gray clip on the lower left side of the feul tank.

a lot of 300ex ignition problems comes from there.
check the red wire and the black/white wire.
check well there is a good connection!

dart340
04-23-2005, 06:25 PM
My 250 ex was doing the same thing and I found it was a fuel filter attached to the petcock inside the tank. I took it out and cleaned it with a toothbrush and paint thinner and now it runs like new.

kwadzuki
04-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks all for your help.I had an extra stator so,I changed it out and it was the main problem.I guess the person I bought it off of thought the problem was in the jetting,because it has a smaller than stock in it,with a pipe and K&N filter in it. I'm getting real close to having it running its best.