PDA

View Full Version : Clutching when downshifting?

Zackasaurus
04-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I usually always clutch it when downshifting but once in awhile ill downshift without using the clutch. Is this bad for the tranny? Ive heard it argued both ways.

Out_Sider
04-19-2005, 08:20 PM
well i do it all the time on my 300ex and i've yet to blow it apart, im sure it could happpen, but im on the back brakes some while im doin it, so im sure that relieves alot of pressure.. but was arm pump sets in its hard to reach for that clutch lever

Johnny B
04-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I dont hardly use the clutch to shift at all. down shifting or up shifting. i had goten my 450 last february and the transmission is still fine.

Scro
04-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Johnny B
I dont hardly use the clutch to shift at all. down shifting or up shifting. i had goten my 450 last february and the transmission is still fine.

doing it a couple of times would be alright....but not using the clutch all the time will take its toll on a transmission....even if it is a honda....:D

CdaleXtreme
04-20-2005, 11:28 AM
shifting under a hard load is what stresses the tranny components, if you let off the gas slightly while up shifting or pull in the clutch. As long as minimal effort it required to shift, normal wear will result. The same goes for downshifting.

The clutch's job is to seperate the engine fromt the tranny, thus taking off the load to shift properly. So take your pick. Let off the gas, pull in the clutch or both to shuft!

Just dont Jam it!

MR.BIG
04-20-2005, 01:39 PM
POWERSHIFTING CONSTANTLY WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD TO BENDING THE SHIFT FORKS. BUT ONCE IN A WHILE IS OK.

ThumPIN_450R
04-20-2005, 05:54 PM
I did it all the time last season and never noticed any problems.....You wouldn't take advice from a guy with a blown tranny on something like this though would you?

jeepnrocks
04-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I think almost everyone does it once in a while. I wouldn't do it all the time though. their is always the rekluse though :)

Ridin' Jesse
04-21-2005, 04:08 PM
MR.big...just wondering...why dont you turn ur caps off? lol

MR.BIG
04-21-2005, 04:15 PM
How's that! It's simple I'm at work and everything we do on the computer is case sensitive therefore everything is done with the caps on so I just leave it and flip back and forth during work.