PDA

View Full Version : any 16yr. olds with sport bikes?

muddy400EX
04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
im gonna turn 16 at the beginning of summer, and i want a sportbike sooo bad. anybody thats 16 have one? i know you have to be 18 to have one over a certain cc's but i think you can get one at 16 if you take a motorcylce test?:confused: and how much is insurance?(i know its gotta be expensive as hell)

HiperEX
04-19-2005, 07:39 PM
very very expensive

ShiftFMX
04-19-2005, 07:39 PM
i dont even think its legal to operate one at 16. Law varies from state to state.

Well i just read up on it...It says it you are under 16 you have to take classes to operate a motorcycle. Thats here in michigan

Mxjunkie
04-19-2005, 07:42 PM
You have to take the test just as everyone else, then you have to be 18 to not wear a helmet if your state is a helmet or not state.

tp300ex
04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
i have a 400ex and im 14:confused:

muddy400EX
04-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by tp300ex

:huh i had a 400ex at 14 to:huh

I-7
04-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Your an idiot!

The insurance will be very expensive and the laws vary from state to state but in new york you have to ride with another person atleast 1/10 of a mile near you and when you turn 18 you can take the test to get your license. Im pretty sure that thats how it is here.

tp300ex
04-19-2005, 08:23 PM
no i have every thing coverd on the fourwheeler;)

Pa400exracer
04-19-2005, 08:29 PM
my friend thats 16 just got his permit (for driving a car) like a month ago , and just the other day he went and got his permit to ride a motorcycle (he has a dr 200) and it only cost him like 7 bucks and he didnt have to take a test or anything from what i know

Pennsylvania

honduh440
04-19-2005, 08:34 PM
i seriously would not recommend you getting a bike they are very dangerous and without you have street knowledge from driving a car or truck it is even worse

wait till you get bored from driving your car tto get a bike

muddy400EX
04-19-2005, 08:41 PM

huh? did u think i was talking about quads? cuz this is the kinda sport bike im talkin bout:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/dirtbiker/honda-cbr600-02-bikepics-106060.jpg

Tommy 17
04-19-2005, 08:55 PM
4 kids have killed themselves on them this summer alone...

one kid hit a tree at 160...

sport bikes and teens = death!

lil400exman
04-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
4 kids have killed themselves on them this summer alone...

one kid hit a tree at 160...

sport bikes and teens = death!

sooo true. I wish most teens could see beyond the instant gratifaction and see how precious life is!:(

Anyone who has been in a serious accident would know. Also any starter bike for street will be too fast.

Also get some on-road driving time before you try and drive a crotch rocket. When someone pulls out in front of you,might see things differently. I know I did! :scary:

muddy400EX
04-19-2005, 09:11 PM
i know there dangerous but would you not drive a car just cuz some teen wrecked and died? no, cuz it happens every day. i consider myself as a responsible rider, ive never had one bad wreck on my 400, and no matter how many peopole wreck on motorcycles, im still gonna want one:)

Ballistic Atv
04-19-2005, 09:22 PM
In my opinion, a sixteen year old is wayyy to young to be driving a motorcycle on the street. (I am sixteen also by the way) I don't care if you haven't crashed your 400ex, when you are riding a motorcycle you have to worry not only about what you are doing, but also what the other idiots around you are doing. People will pull right infront of you in their car and then slam on the brakes, leaving you with no time to react and you will either dump the bike or run into the back of them. And since you just have gotten your learners permit or drivers liscence, you don't have nearly enough road experience to know how to react fast enough to the ever changing enviroment around you. One of my close friends older brother had a similar thing happen to him in daytona during bike week. Some jerk pulled infront of him and purposely slammed on their brakes to make him crash, and he endo'd right into the back of the van, causing him to sever his spinal cord mid torso and throw the girl he had riding on the back of his bike over the van. She only ended up with a few broken ribs and broken arm though. The guy who is now paralyzed was a very good rider to, and it just goes to show you that you cant control the situations around you and it is sooooo much more dangerous when your riding a street bike.
Sorry for ranting, its just that I have seen what it can do to a family to have son become severly injured from riding a crotch rocket.

Tommy 17
04-19-2005, 09:23 PM
no but most teens think they are super man on them and try to go at outrageous speeds...

i know i was one of them... i got on an R1 and when i left off the speedo was well over 150...

kerby400ex
04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
....some peoples kids.

Seriously though, wait till u get a little older and have some driving time under your belt.

Regular_Joe
04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
I had one and sold it. It was cool, but just not practical. It was uncomfortable in traffic, top heavy under 40mph, in town requires constant clutch slipping under 20mph, and attracted cops like crazy. Most people have no concept of what these bikes are capable of. Do you really need a bike that tach's out at 70mph in 1st gear. Thats what the 600's can do. Hell the 1000's tach out over 100mph in 1st gear. Then every gear after that adds on another 15-20 mph.

I ended up getting an SV650. Much better bike. It is 100x more drivable in traffic, way more comfortable, and has a much better powerband. Besides it can keep up w/ any bike under 80mph .... and how often and long are you above 80mph.

muddy400EX
04-19-2005, 09:32 PM
i totally agree with everybody. but im not talkin goin 150 down the road and doin wheelies and tricks. im just wantin one for cruisin around town and stuff.

then after a couple years i would do wheelies and tricks:D

KWAD GAWD
04-19-2005, 09:42 PM
No 16 year old should even be allowed on the road on a crotch rocket. I know, I've been there. You think you're mature, no way. First it's 80mph, then it's 80 and a wheelie, then it's 100, then 120. Then you hit a speck of gravel and your parents have to live the rest of their lives with their son in the ground.

honduh440
04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
i totally agree with everybody. but im not talkin goin 150 down the road and doin wheelies and tricks. im just wantin one for cruisin around town and stuff.

then after a couple years i would do wheelies and tricks:D

trust me on this i said the same thing when i first rode one. you can do 110 on the highway and feel like your going 65 mph. i use to do well over 100 for half an hour on the turnpike now i look back and think man i was ****in idiot kind of scares me actually

LazeR
04-19-2005, 10:02 PM
I think it just depends, i would love to have a street bike. But right now i know i couldn't afford the insurance and i don't think my parents would be to thrilled although i am 18. My friend is getting one soon and i can't wait to ride it! The only thing i would be afraid of is it getting me into trouble, but the mustang kind of does that too....had it 130mph the other night coming back from prom lol but there was also no one else on the road besides my friend and yea we were racing.....

blaster_rider68
04-20-2005, 08:05 AM
at 15 and 9 months i could go to drivers ed for my motorcycle lisence but im gonna wait cuz i know that i would be tempted to ride through gears on one of those things and then the only thing id be driving after that is a fuc**** wheelchair:ermm:

Racing Rice
04-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Sportbikes are only as dangerous as the person riding them. Most 16yo kids don't have the self restraint to hold themselves back and be responsible.

If your serious about getting a bike, get something small to start with!!! Look into getting a Ninja 250R or 500cc bike at the MOST. They are still plenty fast enough to get you killed, but they are alittle more forgiving if you do something wrong.

Also, take an MSF course. Learn how to ride the right way. I wish I would have gotten a motorcycle when I was 16 and not waited aslong as I did.:cool:

As for insurance... You dont HAVE to have full coverage on a motorcycle unless you finance it from a local bank or something. If you finance it through Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, etc.. It just like putting it on a credit card. You don't have to have full coverage unless its over like $10K for most of them.

I would even check out a scooter like a Honda Rucas or something. That will allow you to learn the basics of riding on public roads, and still way better then driving a car. Not to mention, they are a lot cheaper to insure and operate.

rooftop-special
04-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

I have been riding dirt bikes since I was about 13. I gradually got bigger bikes throughout the years. I currently have a 2004 GSXR 1000 and a 2004 400Ex. There is not comparison between my GSXR and my EX. Have you ever rode a motorcycle? I just think you mentioned riding your 400. Most people only think about the speed of "crotch rocket" but more often then not, it's not being familier with your breaks that will kill you. A sport bike has killer breaking. And this is what will happen, someone cuts you off, it happens almost every day, if you ride in the city. You panic, and the first thing everyone does, is grab the break. You grab too much, the front tire locks up, and before you know it, your road testing a set of leathers while taking a detailed asphalt sample. Breaks on a car are almost dummy proof, with anti-lock breaking you just slam on the breaks. On a bike, you slam to hard and it's all over. I would say, if you have never rode a bike, start on something a little more user friendly. GSXR type bikes are very unforgiving. As others have already said, definetly take a riders course. Take care of yourself.

:devil:

Lgnrider424
04-20-2005, 10:10 AM
i to bought a bike when i was 18 and sold it a couple weeks ago, almost 20 now. i had fun and said i wasnt going to be stupid on it, but once you felt like i had control i got real stupid. im talking 110 mph wheelies. highway traffic weaving and stuff at well over 100. just stupid stuff. i consider myself extremely lucky i didnt die or get seriously hurt, or even come close to dumping my bike or even get a ticket (i ran most of the time and sometimes they wouldnt even turn around). i just realized i was smater then that and sold it. plus i got what i paid for it when i bought it and put 4000 miles on it. 2000 CBR 600 f4 $3800 FYI

bansheeguy77
04-20-2005, 11:02 AM
i personally dont think kids should get their license at 16. most are just not responsible or mature enough to handle the task. you feel like you know everything and are "all grown up" but in reality you have a long way to go. im not saying you are one of these kids at all. but trust me on this one. drive a car til your atleast 18. if you do get a bike do small little easy rides out of traffic and such to get used ot it. its a totally different world out there on a bike.
and hte problem i have with it is i personally dont care if a kid goes and wrecks his fast sports car or whatever on his own. their mistake, but when me and my family, friends are thrown out there on the roads with children who dont know a damn thing of what they are doing we have a problem. i would multiply that problem by 100 on a crotch rocket.
and i checked insurance for myself, im 18 it would be well over 4k a year....

04-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
18 it would be well over 4k a year.... full or liablity?

bansheeguy77
04-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
full or liablity?

it was full, but not maxxed. it was last year i went to progressive to see what it would be on an 01 yamaha 600 i was thinkin of buying. so whatever they offer to start is 4 k i didnt change the limits or deductables around...im sure it wouldnt drop it a few g's tho :blah:

chucked
04-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I ride with a guy that wrecked at 120, the dude he was riding with went into a guardrail, needless to say that was a closed casket viewing.

JTRtrx250r
04-20-2005, 03:39 PM
16 yr olds and sportbikes are a bad combo!!!

They wad themselves up... and everyone elses rates go up:rolleyes: Most kids die b4 they get them 1/2 payed off, then it becomes just as much the parents fault.... but yet they still try and sue... Effin morons!:rolleyes: :mad:

muddy400EX
04-20-2005, 07:25 PM
wow, all i did was ask what i would have to do to get one:ermm:

ive had a RM125 dirtbike, and i know that it is a HUGE difference than a sportbike but i know how to ride a motorcylce. with my db, i hated riding it offroad, but i looved takin down the road and opeing it up, thats why i think i would like a sportbike so much. and to tell you the truth, i think i would like a motorcylce better than a car. its just how i am. and i hightly doubt ill get one at 16, but i was just wondering what i would need to do. also, i dont live in a busy city, its just a small town, and im not a daredevil either.

400exrules
04-20-2005, 07:30 PM
and im not a daredevil either.

your insurance company wont care wut you say

muddy400EX
04-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
your insurance company wont care wut you say

ya i know, i was talkin to the guys one here. the insurance will prolly be the reason i never own one

Hondadudeehhhh
04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
but i looved takin down the road and opeing it up, thats why i think i would like a sportbike so much. and im not a daredevil either.

when you comind those two staements you arent making sense. You say you love to open up your dirt bike on the road. I dont know if you've ever ridden a street bike but if you 'open them up" you go a little faster than 50 mph. Im not flaming you, just saying street bikes are dangerous. No matter what you say you will get bored and want to go 160mph, everyone who owns one does.

In michigan you can get your motorcycle license before you turn 18 but they really really discourage it. Id recomend saving that insurence money for quad parts :devil:

muddy400EX
04-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
when you comind those two staements you arent making sense. You say you love to open up your dirt bike on the road. I dont know if you've ever ridden a street bike but if you 'open them up" you go a little faster than 50 mph. Im not flaming you, just saying street bikes are dangerous. No matter what you say you will get bored and want to go 160mph, everyone who owns one does.

In michigan you can get your motorcycle license before you turn 18 but they really really discourage it. Id recomend saving that insurence money for quad parts :devil:

going down a road with no cars wide open on a 125 is not that dangerous:ermm: and i know sportbikes are different, i said that already:) and why would i save my money for my quad, i never get to ride it

250-R-250
04-20-2005, 11:40 PM
To start off I am SEVENTEEN! I have wanted a crotch Rocket also...You will always won't one, yes....But that doesnt mean you have to have one....My uncle(moms brother) was killed on one, and my other uncle......Was SEVERELY INJURED.....I knew them both very well and they were responsible just like you may think that you are....NEITHER ACCIDENT was caused by them......I drove a 1988 Steel Grande Marque for a year.....And I had some close calls, some of with I KNOW I wouldnt have come out of fine if i was on a bike.....DEFINATELY GET DRIVING EXPERIENCE FIRST......I am not putting down the bike man, Hell I want one and plan on getting one...but NOT AS A ALL AROUND VEHICLE!!!!!Rain, snow, hail, its not fun to ride one in those conditions......trust me......also i would be willing to bet that 90% of motorcyle owners have a car or truck that they drive........Good Luck, Talk to your parents about it........

speedy400
04-21-2005, 08:19 AM
I am 17, at 16 I owned a 1972 gt250(2 stroke) could pull wheelies in 3rd no problem via my mods to it.... went over on a wheelie in 2nd one day, will never do a wheelie on a bike again, thank god I went straight into the ditch(nice...soft). ect... so now I'm 17 and sold that bike, and have a 1982 gs850 4cyl, that I have modded, it goes plenty fast, after my 1st ticket, I wont be speeding much anymore. Now I just take cruising for what its worth, dont need adrenline rushes to have an awesome I'd say I'm pretty lucky I learned the hard way but not the hardest... Just thought I'd throw in my story. Take it for what you like-darren

Rdhanded2
04-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Illinois law says you can not ride a sport bike until you are 18. The only thing you could ride would be a 125, and that is after you take a course.

speedy400
04-22-2005, 08:15 AM
I think a big part of learning how to ride is learning how to deal with the other driver screwing up and what to do in those situations and how your bike will handle in those situations. A friend of mine suggested if you get a sport bike for your 1st time, take it out on a gravel road and give it a little throttle feel what it does when you loose traction. Better to fall over going 20 than 70 on tar around a loose gravely corner...-darren

blaster_rider68
04-22-2005, 08:23 AM
some day im going to get a sportbike......i wanna yellow suzuki GSX-R750:D

ride_a_400
04-22-2005, 08:44 AM
i had a sport bike when i was 16 and i loved it and had a lot of fun riding it, but you gotta watch other people. if you do get one stay on some of the back roads at first where there may not be as much traffic. i started with a 94 susuki 500cc, it is a good idea to start with a smaller cc like a 500 or 600 not that they will save you from any bad situations but they are easier to manuver than a big bike.

Scott-300ex
04-22-2005, 11:10 AM

according to you you chit your pants too

lmao!!!!