PDA

View Full Version : Started Smoking

JOEX
04-19-2005, 05:47 PM
......... SALMON! :p

Should be done in about an hour........:D

Juggalo
04-19-2005, 05:54 PM
wanna know a dirty secret about me? ive never had smoked salmon. i dont think ive ever had any kind of salmon in fact. im not a big seafood fan but fish is ok and i have to admit everytime i see a big salmon filet on TV it looks delish. what you have there looks way good..wish i could try some!

JOEX
04-19-2005, 06:03 PM
If your not a seafood fan you might not like it but you should try it;) The farm raised salmon is OK but it doesn't even compare to wild salmon.

04-19-2005, 06:18 PM
smoked salmon is where its at

400exredrider
04-19-2005, 06:33 PM
makes me hungry

AtvMxRider
04-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
If your not a seafood fan you might not like it but you should try it;) The farm raised salmon is OK but it doesn't even compare to wild salmon.

Yeah there is nothing like wild fish:devil:

YFZ450Ridr
04-19-2005, 06:52 PM
i like about any fish but salmon:o my mom buys this fish called 'Tilapia' from Sams. the stuff is amazing. marinate it a little then grill it, cant beat it.

JOEX
04-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Tilapia is a tasty fish it's also know as the Christ fish because many belive that Tilapia is the fish Jesus multiplied to feed the masses.

It's a farm raised fish and is fairly new to the American market and cheap:D

ny300exrider
04-19-2005, 07:25 PM
i lovve fish, i could go for a nice striped bass or blackfish fillet

JOEX
04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Yeah there is nothing like wild fish:devil:
As long as it doesn't stink it's good to eat!:macho :devil:

AtvMxRider
04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
As long as it doesn't stink it's good to eat!:macho :devil:

Just hold your nose;)

MichaelS693
04-19-2005, 08:47 PM
my favorite fish has to be Cobia(also known as lemonfish,cobia, ling) i like it blackened.. it has to be the best!!!

kamikaze_rzrbak
04-19-2005, 11:32 PM
cant beat fresh smoked northwest Salmon;) nothin beats it:cool:

QuadJunkies
04-20-2005, 12:09 AM
......... SALMON! :p

Should be done in about an hour........:D How about you cook me up a mean BBQ this wk end??? :D ;)

QuadJunkies
04-20-2005, 12:10 AM
If your not a seafood fan you might not like it but you should try it;) The farm raised salmon is OK but it doesn't even compare to wild salmon. seafood is NASTY!well, I like shrimp but thats it :ermm:

blaster_rider68
04-20-2005, 06:59 AM
the fish i eat is this stuff called haddock,idk its what my mom gets but man is it good......

willow2679
04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Sorry to ask but that oven is special to smoke them or you need that pan below them only to do it?
they looks tasty! :D

dunnonuttin
04-20-2005, 03:12 PM
i thought you literally started smoking and i was about to say "dude thats not cool" lol. i hate it when people do that but its funny afterwards

JTRtrx250r
04-20-2005, 03:33 PM
good stuff!!!:macho seems to be the rage around here haha

JTRtrx250r
04-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Just hold your nose;) just tell him "old "fish" never dies... it just smells that way":devil: LOL

bman9
04-20-2005, 05:39 PM

agreed ecpecially the ones you catch your self and eat couple hour later!

TheFontMaster
04-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Your making my mouth water. I want salmon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture084.jpg

JDiablo
04-20-2005, 08:43 PM
i only like catching fish not eating them:o im not to picky at what i eat

SRH
04-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 660r_freestyler
smoked salmon is where its at

where whats at???:confused:

JOEX
04-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
How about you cook me up a mean BBQ this wk end??? :D ;)
:cool: I just happen to have some shrimp in the freezer too:eek: Maybe some shrimp scampi?:D

I was going to bring some salmon for you this weekend too, guess I wont:( :p

JOEX
04-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by willow2679
Sorry to ask but that oven is special to smoke them or you need that pan below them only to do it?
they looks tasty! :D
Yeah, it's a special 'oven' for smoking food. The very bottom pan has the wood chips and the pan above it has water in it. It can be done in a regular oven or on the stove top be you'll need a good exhaust system;)

Bush0102
04-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by MichaelS693
my favorite fish has to be Cobia(also known as lemonfish,cobia, ling) i like it blackened.. it has to be the best!!!

lol gotta love cobia. I'm a huge saltwater fisherman and we call cobia **** fish because after they migrate along the coast, they head out to the oil rigs, then follow oil tankers and wait for them to release all the sewage on board and eat it...its tasty!

lol eat all the cobia you can, i wont touch them. I'm actually not a big fish eater but you cant beat some good tuna steaks

04-20-2005, 10:54 PM
who likes marlin?? i dont usually like fish and i almost died when tasted
marlin, its just sooo good.

i have some pics of it when my dad caught it

Bush0102
04-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by tony_jackass

i caught a 140 lb white marlin in cabo last year...how far are you from there?

QuadJunkies
04-21-2005, 12:21 AM
:cool: I just happen to have some shrimp in the freezer too:eek: Maybe some shrimp scampi?:D

I was going to bring some salmon for you this weekend too, guess I wont:( :p Troy will dig it!! Scampi is the chit! mmmmm ... Fettuchini(sp) and scampi is goooooood......

Juggalo
04-21-2005, 01:59 AM
shrimp is naaaaasty..and for the record...shrimp sauce is the worst sauce in the world. lol. its the opposite of A-1 which is the best sauce in the world.

JTRtrx250r
04-21-2005, 03:38 AM
man... I love shrimp:D and crab , lobster... hell even smoked oysters:huh The older I get... the more I like seafood, just not clams, well... I like clamchowder ...and bearded clams:devil:, but thats about it. Any white fish is good too

QuadJunkies
04-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
I like clamchowder ...and bearded clams:devil:, but thats about it. Any white fish is good too HAHAHA. Im gonna keep my mouth shut on this one! :o :devil:

JTRtrx250r
04-21-2005, 01:18 PM
;) LOL:devil: Good stuff!:D

JOEX
04-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Troy will dig it!! Scampi is the chit! mmmmm ... Fettuchini(sp) and scampi is goooooood......
I prefer linguini myself:o :p Hopefully I can get the shrimp cleaned and everything else together for this, I wont have pasta but if someone wants to bring it and everything need to cook it i'll cook ;). Are campfires allowed there?

HAHAHA. Im gonna keep my mouth shut on this one! :o :devil:
So many ways to take that one:eek: :devil:

JOEX
04-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
lol gotta love cobia. I'm a huge saltwater fisherman and we call cobia **** fish because after they migrate along the coast, they head out to the oil rigs, then follow oil tankers and wait for them to release all the sewage on board and eat it...its tasty!

lol eat all the cobia you can, i wont touch them. I'm actually not a big fish eater but you cant beat some good tuna steaks
I haven't heard of Cobia, but I think I know why now:ermm:

Ahi tuna is good rare or raw;)

JOEX
04-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
shrimp is naaaaasty..and for the record...shrimp sauce is the worst sauce in the world. lol. its the opposite of A-1 which is the best sauce in the world.
Try putting A-1 on shrimp!:devil: Shrimp sauce is some stinky chit but it tastes good when used right. I've only had it a couple of times and that was awhile ago. Maybe i'll get some to play with;)

knighttime
04-21-2005, 08:32 PM
tellin' how good smoked carp is:eek2:

:scary:

QuadJunkies
04-22-2005, 12:02 AM
I prefer linguini myself:o :p Hopefully I can get the shrimp cleaned and everything else together for this, I wont have pasta but if someone wants to bring it and everything need to cook it i'll cook ;). Are campfires allowed there?

So many ways to take that one:eek: :devil: Not srue, but Im doubting they would alow fires :( I was just joking about the dinner! You dont have to bring all that! :blah: ;)

but I wont agrue anymore if you decide to ...... :D

dirtmomma
04-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Lookin GOOD Joe :D:D I thought you were gonna say the 400 started smoking finally LMAO :)
I just purchased an electric smoker myself can't wait to use it, & YES there will be Salmon in it!!!!!! LOTS of salmon!!!!! I also have a BBQ/smoker but thats a pain in the butt!! That smoker looks NICE what kind is it??

lol
04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by tony_jackass

I suppose that you mean white marlin, only locals in hardcore fishing villages eat blue marlin and believe me its not good at all, try some other stuff, you will like better

I am an avid fisherman and me and my father travel up and down the east coast hittin tournaments on our boat, my favorite fish to eat is mako, we have stockloads of vacuum packed mako in our freezer so we can eat it all year:)

bush, do you eat lobster? because i hate to tell u lobster has the same exact principle as cobia, plus!! Lobster is a bug :chinese: :chinese: Lobsters roam the bottom of the ocean and eat cr**

Freshwater fish tastes dirty, almost muddy:ermm: salmon not really because they are highly migratory, but non-farm-raised tilapia, and smallmouth and such, taste muddy to me:o

04-22-2005, 10:18 AM
well i've seen its blue haha, and its good as hell man, i dont know.. oh and about the lobsters.... crap is expensicve then cus they are expensive as hell and i know that cus we have a lobster restaurant and its like 30 bucks/2.2 lb ;)

Bush0102
04-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by lol

bush, do you eat lobster? because i hate to tell u lobster has the same exact principle as cobia, plus!! Lobster is a bug :chinese: :chinese: Lobsters roam the bottom of the ocean and eat cr**

haha nope, the only seafood i eat is tuna.

I actually caught a 26 lb yellowfin on march 23rd 17 miles out of destin...that was pretty early for that part of the gulf.

We actually did really well that trip, we nailed some 40 lb amberjack, 5 25lb+ gag grouper, 7 15 lb + red grouper, and a few good size scamp (I've heard that is hands down the best tasting fish in the ocean).

have you ever competed in the Destin Fishing Rodeo? It runs the entire month of october and the payout is actually really good.

04-23-2005, 11:32 AM
well here's the pics from my dad fishin'

thats my dad fighting with a marlin

http://x2.putfile.com/4/11212351574.jpg

Marlin!!

http://x2.putfile.com/4/11212354533.jpg

http://x2.putfile.com/4/11212360595.jpg

and there it is....

http://x2.putfile.com/4/11212365723.jpg

BIGRED400
04-23-2005, 12:07 PM
I love to smoke meat ,BBQ ,really like the pork though,Hickory mostly sometimes oak,What are you using,BTW nice smoker.:D
check it out
http://www.thesmokering.com/

lol
04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
haha nope, the only seafood i eat is tuna.

I actually caught a 26 lb yellowfin on march 23rd 17 miles out of destin...that was pretty early for that part of the gulf.

We actually did really well that trip, we nailed some 40 lb amberjack, 5 25lb+ gag grouper, 7 15 lb + red grouper, and a few good size scamp (I've heard that is hands down the best tasting fish in the ocean).

have you ever competed in the Destin Fishing Rodeo? It runs the entire month of october and the payout is actually really good.

Sounds like a good time!!!

We fish mostly the northeast,Destin is pretty far away lol, fluke season opens on friday.....cant wait!!!!!!

Nice fish Tony!!!

JOEX
04-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by BIGRED400
I love to smoke meat ,BBQ ,really like the pork though,Hickory mostly sometimes oak,What are you using,BTW nice smoker.:D
check it out
http://www.thesmokering.com/
Thanks for the link:)

I'm kinda new to the smoking arena, just dabbling in smoke raosting. I have been using Alder for salmon, and the usual apple for pork (pork's my favorite too;))

I've only used this smoker (Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series) twice and both were for salmon. Now that the weather is getting better i'll be 'experimenting' more;) :D

tony_jackass,
The previous chef I worked for was a big time sport fisherman who took a few trips to the gulf and had shown me pictures similar to yours;) Looks like a great time:)

04-25-2005, 10:14 AM
thanx Joex an lol!!

Woodsrider
04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Joe, let me know how you like that smoker. Ive been on the hunt for a new one. Is that propane, wood, or electric?
Edit: never mind I didnt let the picture load all the way:o

For those that like the smoked salmon, you aint had nuttin till you've had steelhead;) Now thats the chit right there.

Joe when you do your pork in there, dont use water in the bowl. fill it with apple cider, its crazy how that and the apple wood smoke combines to flavor the pork. I have done shoulders and ribs both in the smoker. The shoulders make for a mean pulled pork sandwich! :macho
Try smokin tillamook sharp!

JOEX
04-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Joe, let me know how you like that smoker. Ive been on the hunt for a new one. Is that propane, wood, or electric?
Edit: never mind I didnt let the picture load all the way:o

For those that like the smoked salmon, you aint had nuttin till you've had steelhead;) Now thats the chit right there.

Joe when you do your pork in there, dont use water in the bowl. fill it with apple cider, its crazy how that and the apple wood smoke combines to flavor the pork. I have done shoulders and ribs both in the smoker. The shoulders make for a mean pulled pork sandwich! :macho
Try smokin tillamook sharp!
Tis is the first real smoker i've had, the temp adjustment seems to work pretty good. Control will depend on outside conditions of course.

I love cooking with pork shoulder, one time I marinated one, smoke roasted it on the gas grill till it was just cooked through then threw it in the crock pot till it was falling apart. I was a little worried that it would have too much stuff going on with it that it wouldn't taste good but it came out great. Now I wish I remembered what flavours I used:ermm: I know there was beer involved somewhere:p

Steelhead is good to but I haven't had oit smoked...... yet;)

I plan on smoking some cheese too, I really want to do fresh Mozzerella, I heard it was hard to do but I have some ideas:D

I just got a meat grinder atachment for the mixer, just waiting for the sausage attachment:cool: :)

Woodsrider
04-25-2005, 09:26 PM
LMK how the cheese goes in that smoker. I have a little chief that I use only for fish and cheese. My bullet smoker is for everything else.
Cheese has to be cool smoked, or it will melt and separate(gets really ugly) When I do tillamook cheddar I put the rack on top of the smoker with the lid off. Then put the cardboard box the smoker is packed in, over the rack. Smoke it for fourty minutes, (one pan of chips) on a cool fall day. let it cool on the counter and vaccum pack it. I like to age it for a month before I start snackin on it.

JOEX
04-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
LMK how the cheese goes in that smoker. I have a little chief that I use only for fish and cheese. My bullet smoker is for everything else.
Cheese has to be cool smoked, or it will melt and separate(gets really ugly) When I do tillamook cheddar I put the rack on top of the smoker with the lid off. Then put the cardboard box the smoker is packed in, over the rack. Smoke it for fourty minutes, (one pan of chips) on a cool fall day. let it cool on the counter and vaccum pack it. I like to age it for a month before I start snackin on it.
Thanks for the advice!;) When you say cool smoke any idea on what temp range that is? My main concern is the food danger zone;) I'll be getting a food saver real soon:)

First thought is this smoker might be too hot for cheese but I should be able to make adjustments with the baffles, thermostat and the door.

Woodsrider
04-25-2005, 10:29 PM
To be honest with you, I never really thought about the temp:confused: But with the cheese your not going to "cook" it, just "flavor" it. I may have to do a little reading and get back to you. You're the chef, lol I should be asking you about food safety huh?:p
You may have to experiment with that smoker and some cheese. find out at what temp the cheese starts to "sweat", and lower the temp about 10 degrees.
Most cheese is smoked indirectly, meaning fire is in a different chamber than the food, and the smoke is allowed to cool as it travels through a pipe into the chamber where the food is.
I'll see if I can find my book on smoking and get back to you.;)

I found the best deal on a food saver at Costco. The large jar is great for marinating flank steaks and tri-tips.:macho

dirtmomma
04-26-2005, 08:35 AM
WEll you guys sound like a couple of old hens LMAO ;):D:D cheese sounds VERY good!! yumyumyum

I also have the Little Chief smoker, & yes Costco is a good place to get the food saver!!!! I got mine @ Wally world a couple years ago I think it's the 650, I LOVE IT, don't use it as much anymore but they are damn handy!!!

Hey Mikey you ever ride anymore???? How's t he kids doing on the Kasea?? Is the wife riding YET???????????

Woodsrider
04-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
WEll you guys sound like a couple of old hens LMAO ;):D:D cheese sounds VERY good!! yumyumyum

I also have the Little Chief smoker, & yes Costco is a good place to get the food saver!!!! I got mine @ Wally world a couple years ago I think it's the 650, I LOVE IT, don't use it as much anymore but they are damn handy!!!

Hey Mikey you ever ride anymore???? How's t he kids doing on the Kasea?? Is the wife riding YET???????????

Hey Kym. To be honest, I havent been out more than four times since I crashed hard last fourth of july weekend in Tahuya. Lack of time and money mainly. Been too consumed by the rat race:( If Boeing doesnt call me back by the end of the year, we're considering moving out of state, the taxes here are killing me. Looking for a slower lifestyle and a lower cost of living.

Joe, I couldn't find anything in any of my cooking books about the temperature when smoking the cheese. Sorry.

BIGRED400
04-27-2005, 02:56 PM
For Pork Loins and all, Even at BBQ championships they go 250 first 2 hours then 225 after.....
Some good pics
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/HTMLCompetitions/comp11TheJack.html
....Anyone had Smoked Mullet?

Woodsrider
04-27-2005, 07:33 PM
For Pork Loins and all, Even at BBQ championships they go 250 first 2 hours then 225 after.....
Some good pics
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/HTMLCompetitions/comp11TheJack.html
....Anyone had Smoked Mullet?

Yah, but what can you find about smoking cheese? Thats what he need info on.;)

SlapNutz
04-28-2005, 07:00 AM
:D

BIGRED400
04-28-2005, 02:59 PM
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cheese.html

Gabriel Racing
04-28-2005, 04:11 PM
the first time i tried swordfish was last night

i personally like dolphin ( mahi mahi ), spanish mackeral, snapper and grouper, and i tried sowrdfish last night and it was awesome.

i only eat mahi mahi snapper and grouper and mackeral when i go down to florida in the winter

JTRtrx250r
04-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by SlapNutz
:D I bet you do... noodle, pole.. etc
:uhoh:

:devil:

JOEX
04-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by SlapNutz
:D
:chinese: :bandit:

JOEX
04-28-2005, 08:10 PM
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cheese.html

JOEX
04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Gabriel Racing
the first time i tried swordfish was last night

i personally like dolphin ( mahi mahi ), spanish mackeral, snapper and grouper, and i tried sowrdfish last night and it was awesome.

i only eat mahi mahi snapper and grouper and mackeral when i go down to florida in the winter
Mahi Mahi isn't actually dolphin. Mahi Mahi is the Hawaiian name for 'dolphinfish' also know as dorado. It got the dolphinfish name because it swims ahead of ships like dolphin do.

It's good stuff too:) :cool:

gibson400ex
07-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Mahi Mahi isn't actually dolphin. Mahi Mahi is the Hawaiian name for 'dolphinfish' also know as dorado. It got the dolphinfish name because it swims ahead of ships like dolphin do.

It's good stuff too:) :cool:

i know

ive caught many dorado

its just down in the keys where i fish alot

thats what we all call it "dolphin"

insaneracin2003
07-26-2006, 02:12 PM
hey JOEX,dat food done yet?? i am getting hungry over here,it has only been a year and a half that they have been on the smoker...:confused: