PDA

View Full Version : Best Cam for the 450R????

timscherer
04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I am interested in buying a Cam for my TRX450R. I race MX most of the time, along with some trail rides. I am trying to achieve more power from low to top range. My current set-up is listed below on my signature. What CAM would you guys recommend that has a noticeable difference?

Thanks,
Tim

1BAD4FIFTY
04-19-2005, 11:47 AM
I got an HRC cam in mine with a 13.5:1 piston in it, I ABOSUTLY LOVE it!!! I race XC though, but it still makes tremendous power EVERYWHERE!!

MR.BIG
04-19-2005, 12:21 PM
I HAVE THE HRC CAM IN MINE AND IT MAKES GOOD MIDRANGE AND UP! I INSTALLED A POWER NOW KIT FOR LOW END THROTTLE RESPONSE WHICH WORKS GREAT WITH MY PIPE. I THINK YOU WOULD BE FINE WITH THE HRC CAM. HOT CAMS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE GOOD TO.

ml450r
04-19-2005, 02:43 PM
hot cam stage II with 11.5-1 piston. runs very strong and is reliable. The 13-1 and up motors will go thru cranks faster and requires race fuel.
If you are not doing a piston go with an HRC cam. They give you decent power throughout the rpm range.

Don't go with a real big cam unless you are doing porting, piston, etc. And if you are go with someone who already has a combination set up and works well.
Merrill

trost66
04-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I have the sparks aggresive or crf cam with 13-8-1 piston and it just rips for mx. I don't the hrc cam will be that great for mx it is more of a mid to topend cam. You will actual loose a little on the bottom from stock with that cam.

RedRacer44
04-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Stage II HotCam is a great cam for a lot of applications. I have this cam with a JE 13:1 piston and it really rips! I know of several guys that have just used the Stage II HotCam w/ an exhaust and it worked great. No loss on the bottom end either! It is a mid-top end cam but it works awesome for MX as you shouldnt lose any bottom end.

Stage II HotCam is probably your best bang for your buck!

cals400ex
04-20-2005, 11:45 PM
does anyone know specs to any of these cams? i am looking for a high rpm screamer. i don't care what power it makes at 3000 rpms, due to my riding style.

DirtDevilBT
04-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
does anyone know specs to any of these cams? i am looking for a high rpm screamer. i don't care what power it makes at 3000 rpms, due to my riding style.

Prolly the HRC then.;)

#1speedbump
04-21-2005, 02:37 PM
or the Megacycle X1 or the big Johnson. Both are priced at 300. and have a ton of overlap, neither are drop ins.

R3Concepts
04-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by #1speedbump
or the Megacycle X1 or the big Johnson. Both are priced at 300. and have a ton of overlap, neither are drop ins.

And both require porting, shortened guides to accomodate the massive lifts they both have, not MX cams at all, those are pretty much drag cams in my mind. Its pointless to have a huge lift cam if you cant flow the amount of the cam lift, its working against itself. Stick with the Hotcam stage 2 or the Sparks CRF cam, have the Sparks now but we are switching to the HC 2 with our new 480.

cals400ex
04-24-2005, 12:14 AM
well i am actually looking for a drag setup. i do recreational riding so i am not 100% dragging. howver, i would like a drag cam because if i race it is mainly dragging. i will stay pretty mild on the motor at first. i will probably do a high comrpession thermally coated stock bore piston that will run on 93 octane. it will have a full pipe too. i have a fcr 40 carb and headwork is fine if i need that. i just don't want to overcam the bike where the bore isn't large enough to work best with the cam.