PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Key/Switch Wiring

FatBoy Racing
04-19-2005, 12:10 AM
I have a 300ex that I want to eliminate the key switch on. Actually, the switch is already gone, and we're doing a plug/unplug gig where the original switch was.

I would like to know if anyone has tried wiring theirs into the engine-stop switch, and if successful, how did you go about it (where did you splice/connect the keyswitch wires)?

Thanks!

dork
04-19-2005, 12:58 AM
on the 300ex, the cdi needs the key and kill switch inputs to run. those switches are both normally closed, meaning when they're on they send power to the cdi. so you'd have to wire the keys power and ground into the killswitch power and ground, respectively. then just make sure you keep the killswitch in the off position when not in use to keep from draining the battery.

FatBoy Racing
04-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Sounds good to me . . . thank you. Has anybody here got a diagram handy that can provide wire colors for me? (I'm doing this by remote, the quad is out of town).

Thanks!

99_300ex
04-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Hey well when i bought my 300ex it dident come with a key so i just connected the key wires together and tucked them under the plastics and used the switch on the handle bars and i havent had any troubles with my battery yet.

Out_Sider
04-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 99_300ex
Hey well when i bought my 300ex it dident come with a key so i just connected the key wires together and tucked them under the plastics and used the switch on the handle bars and i havent had any troubles with my battery yet.

my has recently started having battery problems, so i got a toggle switch and connectted the wires to key wires (solid red and solid black) and then i c clamped it to the frame rail under the coil.. works like a charm and it keeps the handle bars clean