PDA

View Full Version : a arm and axle ?

6858-400ex
04-18-2005, 10:55 PM
i want to widen my 400ex. i need a-arms axle

there are alot of differnt choices i woulndt mind having long travel arms, but if i bought those i would have to have the suspension at the same time. what would be the best width for fast trail riding. with the extened arms do elka suspension standard travel setup actually have more travel than stock suspension if not why would they be better thatn stock.

gojk
04-18-2005, 11:22 PM
They actually do give about an inch more of travel. I think you have the idea of long travel wrong though. Long travel means long shaft travel actually. You gain bearly if any, travel by going to long travel. Just with the longer shaft travel they can valve them better because the shaft is at more dramatic points in the travel.

Also, I know the trails in AZ and rarely is keeping the quad narrow an issue. If you are worried about being too wide get +2s but I have +3s and I have never seen a problem of being to wide.

Also with the elkas or any other high end of shock they have a ZPS or SSD setup that lowers the quad and really helps with steering.

And to answer your intial questions. To pick a-arms is really a tough choice. I have Burgard, and they are super strong arms although I don't beleive the performance is up there with say Walsh or Roll Design, but they are also close to half the price.
With the axle I would go with Lonestar or RPM(both AZ companies!:) ). RPM is a little more expensive, but I believe a little bit better quality. I have a Lonestar and I bent it slightly off a rather small jump. I just cased it hard. But Lonestar will fix it for me when I decide to take it out and take it too them.

Anyway, good luck with the choice, and I am pretty sure you won't be dissappointed with whatever you get.

Jake250r
04-19-2005, 07:43 PM
As far as the axle goes, i'd say go with durablue. they come with lifetime guarentees (or did when i got one on another quad) and it never bent.:macho

rollie
04-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Jake250r
As far as the axle goes, i'd say go with durablue. they come with lifetime guarentees (or did when i got one on another quad) and it never bent.:macho

NO...i saw 2 of those break sunday....LSR or RPM...for a-arms i suggest houser and elka are vavled for you weight and work alot better....i have a +4 LSR axle and my friend has one and LSR +2 a-arms and its tight in trails....but not to to bad...hope i helped!:)

400exrider707
04-19-2005, 09:15 PM
RPM is the only brand I've never seen bent

Jake250r
04-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
NO...i saw 2 of those break sunday....LSR or RPM...for a-arms i suggest houser and elka are vavled for you weight and work alot better....i have a +4 LSR axle and my friend has one and LSR +2 a-arms and its tight in trails....but not to to bad...hope i helped!:)
Anything will bend if you slam it hard enough. just not everything comes with a warranty.

rollie
04-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Jake250r
Anything will bend if you slam it hard enough. just not everything comes with a warranty.

yes i know but compare the amount of people that have broken a durablue to the amount of people that have broken an LSR or RPM.... the reason why the durablue breaks easily is because it is made out of a hander metal then the LSR or RPM...so insted of bending the axle and finshing the race it just snaps in half..which sucks

hope that makes sence:D

6858-400ex
04-20-2005, 05:10 PM
does lone star make axles that are wider than stock if so how much do they cost lone star in in phoenix az i live about three hours away from there

rollie
04-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 6858-400ex
does lone star make axles that are wider than stock if so how much do they cost lone star in in phoenix az i live about three hours away from there

there +4 and mine was 370 from K&K :cool:

gojk
04-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Yup, that is the Lonestar in Phoenix.

Also RPM is in Prescott.

gojk
04-20-2005, 08:21 PM
I forgot to add, that both of the axles are adjustable. Both have spacers that can be added or taken off to make it +2 or +4.

xx3003xrdrxx
04-21-2005, 06:03 PM
ill send you a brand new durablue axle +2+4 it has sprocket hub as well like i said great condition brand new neever on a machine