PDA

View Full Version : Pep Owners!!

JHF219
04-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey guys that own PEP ZPS Long travel shocks. How do your shocks feel ? when ever the quad is sitting on the ground do your PEPs feel pretty soft ? What im getting at is when my quad is sitting down on the ground i can push down on my front bumper with little effort and take the shock shaft 2/3 of the way through its travel downward? I dont have issues with them bottoming out but im curious as to how everyone elses shocks feel or how they act?

Is anyones Stiff? or are they pretty smooth and soft? any issues with them bottoming ? please post all experiences and problems with PEPs that anyone has ran across!! and if so what did it take to get them to where u were happy with them ?!

derekhonda
04-18-2005, 04:32 PM
no long travel here, but yeah they seem plush the whole way through the shock and no bottoming problems here either.

Ralph
04-18-2005, 04:35 PM
its pretty much normal, no if you were to try to push them down that much alot faster if they are working right it should be alot harder.

JHF219
04-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
no long travel here, but yeah they seem plush the whole way through the shock and no bottoming problems here either.

so yours are constantly SMOOTH ? they dont feel like any other brand of shock you have ever pushed down on right ?

Fast350ex
04-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, mine seem very soft when you push down on them, but I havn't experienced any bottoming as long as the compression is set right.

But like Ralph said, If you were to push down faster they would be stiffer.

"The faster you go, the better they work"!

TC426EX
04-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Fast350ex
Yeah, mine seem very soft when you push down on them, but I havn't experienced any bottoming as long as the compression is set right.

But like Ralph said, If you were to push down faster they would be stiffer.

"The faster you go, the better they work"!

That about sums it up... I can confidently say that I never have and dont plan on ever using a different shock than PEP for as long as I ride (unless everyone starts going air shock and it gets affordable...)

Airik79mx
04-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Ya, my PEP's feel very soft when I push on them too but feel good on the track. My friends ELKA's feel very different when I push on them. Stiff, I don't know....just weird. I like my PEP's

wvspeedfreak
04-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I have been wondering the same thing.I have PEP's on my 250r and I thought there was someting wrong with them the first time I pushed down on them lol.I guess it must be the nature of them.

punker69q
04-21-2005, 06:42 PM
This is normal, it's the way pep's are valved and sprung. They use relatively soft springs, but firm valving. So, on small and low speed impacts, the soft springs allow them to move a lot. When the bump speed gets higher, the valving become "harder" and don't allow the shocks to bottom out. That's why they feel soft.

Now, if you take elka's, they tend to use stiffer springs with a firm valving. So when you push down on them, they don't compress as much when compared to a pep valved for the same riding style.

Now, try this : Push down on your pep's slowly and look at how much they compress. Now, if you climb on your bumper and try to push them down real fast, they won't go much further then when you were pushing slowly on them.

ThumPIN_450R
04-22-2005, 01:47 PM
mine are soft too when i first got them i had trouble with bottoming but then i moved the compression adjuster to "5" and never had that problem again.

250-R-250
04-22-2005, 02:06 PM
How do Works compare.....What are there valving and how do they feel...

Airik79mx
04-22-2005, 04:31 PM
They suck

yamablaster24
04-22-2005, 05:10 PM
As the thrust downward increases in velocity the valving becomes harder. If you slowly push front end down it will go down easier and farther then if you were to hit a bump of equal thrust downward at 45 mph. They do this because as speed increases the amount the suspension needs to soak up increases. The faster you are going the harder the shocks are going to work. On my blaster my sponsor built me a custom LT rear shock that had 13" of travel. When i sat on the bike it almost bottomed out but when i was riding i couldnt bottom it out no matter what i cased. It s all in the valving. IN case your wondering My TCS do the same thing. If you dont like it tighten up your preload. And stiffen up low speed compression dampening

250-R-250
04-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Can I get a better answer then they suck?

NacsMXer
04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Funny thing I have always wondered this but never bothered to question it. All the PEP shocks I have seen on 250R's and my 400 seem soft and sort of "springy" when you compress the front bumper by hand. I always thought this would be a disadvantage on the MX track for soaking up the big hits, but the PEP's have never failed me :o . My buddy has a 400EX with Elka ZPS and they seem a lot stiffer when compressed manually. With them that way, it seems like an Elka MX shock would ride a lot rougher through the small chop than the PEP does. The only time I've ever bottomed my PEP's is when I accidently flat land from 15 ft in the air or something like that. But they're supposed to bottom, a good rider will bottom their suspension at least once per lap.

I think a good test to demonstrate how the valving is speed-sensitive would be to lift the front end up until it's close to the grab bar. Then, completely drop the quad and you should be able to see how it soaks it up no problem :cool:

04-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 250-R-250
Can I get a better answer then they suck?

sure... They rly suck;)

NacsMXer
04-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 660r_freestyler
sure... They rly suck;)

LOL, I think he thought you were saying that PEP's suck. I don't know if he realizes that you were saying that Works suck in comparison to PEP's. :p