PDA

View Full Version : Needs some assistance...riding help

Pappy
04-18-2005, 04:04 PM
ok, lilman is just too dang little for even his 50cc quad:( he only weighs 41 pounds and although he can ride it, he is going to get himself in trouble.

we bought him a CRF50 a few months back and he has been doing ok with it. so we get back from racing sunday and he wants to ride. no problem, off he goes.

the next thing i know cody is running in the house telling me lilman' is jumping it:ermm: people....i know jack squat about jumping a bike. i have no idea if i should just let him grip it and rip it and see how it all works out, or if i should try and prevent him from riding in that way until he gets the basics down. with a quad, i think i could help him, but im not sure what to tell him on a bike other then the basic rule of " stupidity hurts"

:scary:

CTmxyfz
04-18-2005, 04:06 PM
be the test dummy and ride a bike first to find out:blah:

Pappy
04-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by CTmxyfz
be the test dummy and ride a bike first to find out:blah:

no thanks....i have enough trouble just keeping them on 2 wheels:p

WOracing
04-18-2005, 04:09 PM
from pics ive seen your kids have skill...i wouldnt worry to much just dont let hime jump on loose dirt or wet grass because of a tire washing out...

Mxjunkie
04-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Best way to do it is let him ride and learn. The only thing I kinda see wrong is hes sitting kinda low, but that might be how the jump is, you pretty much want to be like you are on a quad, holding on with your knees. Its the same thing (almost) but with 2 less wheels. I learned how to ride dirtbikes my self I'm glad I did I turned out a better rider then I would of if I had my dad yelling at me telling me what I did wrong.

On some jumps you'll look like this, Streched out, Others you'll be low to the seat. He should be fine :)

drider
04-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Best thing. let the kid. play his way. Let him rip it up! Give him couple of years. From the picture i see. he's going to be a champ later in the years! Nothing like seeing young kids, riding. It's halarious! Small bodies with a BIG helmet !! ahah makes me laugh. So just let him ride.

Pappy
04-18-2005, 04:11 PM
he found out all about washing out:p

he just laid there until i told him i would post his picture so everyone could see he was a wussy:eek: as you can see he is grinning ear to ear:grr:

Pappy
04-18-2005, 04:15 PM
landing front wheel first is preferable on a bike correct? (im sure this changes jump to jump just like a quad)

body position is where im not to sure. i watch bike riders change position so much i dont know what to tell him.

haha yeah the big helmet cracks me up also:D

Mxjunkie
04-18-2005, 04:19 PM
You kinda want to land rear wheel first, then the front, not waaaaaay back on the rear wheel, both wheels landing works too. Front wheel first will sometimes send you over the bars FAST lol.

I allways tryed to land both wheels down, but if not I was allways rear wheel down first, just a little added insurance your not going to go flying over the bars or jam your wrists :)

Mxjunkie
04-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Riding position is all in the style, its kind of hard to tell someone how its exactly done, I'm more of a bent over low type of style sorta like how he is showing in those pictures.

Pappy
04-18-2005, 04:53 PM
i snapped a few pics that show almost every rider (expierenced) landing front wheel ever so slightly before the rear wheel. the ones that landed rear wheel first usually looked sloppy and out of control on the landing.:confused:

Pappy
04-18-2005, 04:57 PM
when i talk about the front wheel and a jump...its on the downside..not on a flat landing etc.

he is having a ball riding this thing:D

Pappy
04-18-2005, 04:59 PM
can you tell i enjoy taking his picture:p

CannondaleRider
04-18-2005, 05:00 PM
I've also heard that landing front wheel first is smoother, because if you land on the back wheel with the front end to high it "slaps" the front end down.

This is coming from my brother-in-law when he was riding our friends YZ125

Pappy
04-18-2005, 05:01 PM
he has flat ground and some hillsides down, i dunno what to let him try next. he tries our trails but he keeps riding in the middle instead of in the ruts. i geuus he will figure it out.

TheFontMaster
04-18-2005, 05:03 PM
I heard somewhere that landing with the front wheel landing just slightly before the back helps the landing be much smoother, and it alows you to get back on the gas faster.

Pappy
04-18-2005, 05:03 PM
any advice is appreciated. quads i know...bikes and me dont get along:p

Bill Fuller
04-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Aw heck pops,let the boy ride:D He will figure it out,pointers help and I think body position and choices are close enough to each other that any advise you give will be correct.Not everyone takes to a quad,he is young and that may change but as long as he enjoys it(it's obvious he does)let him do his thing.I understand hearing/watching him do those things is difficult as a parent,but come on man remember what WE did as kids.Anyway glad to see the youngster having fun outside and having a supporting family is even better.Keep on posting them pics:macho

Pappy you going to Lorettas??

Pappy
04-18-2005, 06:08 PM
no we sure arent going to lorettas:( i really would have liked the gncc to have a kids race there!

i think we will be at the budds creek gnc tho.

Pappy
04-18-2005, 06:11 PM
lilman' did finally clear the 10 footer:p

Tommy 17
04-18-2005, 06:14 PM
i have a few friends that go to lorettas every year they are crazy!

pappy the one main thing i see wrong is that his arms are hanging down at his elbows... when u ride u wanna be in teh "attack position" where ur arms are more straight and up... u want ur butt to be about 3 inches off the seat back and you lean forward...

heres a picture of me on my 80 its not the best but you can kinda see what i mean...

soon as he starts to stand up more he'll be alot better... you almost NEVER sit down on a bike...

Tommy 17
04-18-2005, 06:18 PM
i'll try to find a few pics and show u some form... i'll try to help him when i pick up my 400 some...

i did ride a bike for 5 years and i'm thinkin about gettin another one:blah:

ShiftFMX
04-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Im Lovin that Helmet!

Pappy
04-18-2005, 06:29 PM
lol..he does stand up in the fields and stuff, even some in the woods, but when jumping i think he gets to concentrating and forgets:p