PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Sparts with ERS Air system worked great

komik
04-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I just put on the Curtis Sparks racing exhaust with the ESR Air system that removes the Air box. I am really impressed with the setup and ease of installation. Rejetting to the 185 main from the stock 118 was a breeze. Airbox removal was easy other than having to remove most of the plastic to get to all the bolts. Only thing missing from the kit was a connector needed for the overflow oil line that goes into the stock air box. Got the breather but no way to connect it. So I had to Engineer my own connector out of a funnel end. So if you get this kit make sure they give you the little plastic connector.

I broke the bike in stock and then added the system and you can really tell the difference. She really woke up. At first I was concerned with the removing the air box but found out this weekend that as long is you don't submerge it, it really doesn't suck any water into the system. The outerwear, is not waterproof but with a little oil on it, it repells the water just fine. The trip was really dusty for the most part and the outerwear did it's job. We had to go though some small washes that were running and were about a 1ft 1-1/2 ft deep in some places.

I was also concerned with the bottom end power loss that some have spoken of. I am on stock gearing and did a run this weekend about 60miles round trip that was really technical, rocky and slow going in some of the areas. And must say not even a hickup. She purred right along.

Since I did the upgrade just before the run and the rejetting concerned me a bit. We gained about 1000-1200 ft if not more. But the jetting was right on. I was concerned with such a high altitude gain it was show some issues at the top of the mountain, but she didn't let me down one bit. I rarely stalled the bike and found I really didn't have to use the clutch too much to keep the bike reved to keep the rpm's up under a load for some of the rock climbing we had to do.

Just thought I would share....

Porkchop
04-18-2005, 09:48 PM
do you have any pictures of the exhaust and air intake? Is it incredibly loud like everyon says the sparks system is? and do you have the spark arrestor as well?

oldsandman
04-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Here's what mine looked like when I was running it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/oldsandman/sideveiw640.jpg

kssandduner
04-19-2005, 07:12 PM
You're not running that setup anymore oldsandman??

Joe

komik
04-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Here is a picture of mine

komik
04-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Another Angle

komik
04-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Last one

oldsandman
04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by kssandduner
You're not running that setup anymore oldsandman??

Joe

The esr airbox eliminator is still on but the sparks pipe was too loud and I really wasn't impressed with it's #'s! I'm running the esr usfs approved when needed or the "race version" when I can. I'm also trying two new pipes this week at Sand Mtn. So we'll see what survives!

komik
04-20-2005, 04:36 PM
The sparks is a bit loud, but I really don't notice it. Those behind me might though. I had a big gun on my 400ex that was about the same. I was debating between the curtis and the quiet version of the big gun, since I had such response from it. Plus the price was a bit better compared to the Big Gun.

I didn't install the spark arrestor but probablly should.