PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problems

Mailman77327
05-15-2002, 03:56 PM
Howdy from TEXAS!!!
On my 400EX I have +2,+1 A-arms and Fast Trekkers tires.
All my friends that I let ride my quad say it has quirky steering.
I installed a PEP steering stabilizer and its still kinda wandering around. I really dont notice it all that much except at high speeds...it kinda wants to dart off to one side or the other.
Is my problem the tires? The A-arms?
My biggest problem was I got the tires and A-arms at the same time.
Im kinda thinking its the tires...they have a larger contact patch and maybe "bump-steer"?
Dunno though...help me please.
:confused:

Leo
05-15-2002, 04:21 PM
what's your front toe and camber set at?

Leo

Mailman77327
05-15-2002, 06:14 PM
I haven't got a clue?
The locals at the motorcycle repair shop did the upgrade.
Should I take it to someone else?
:confused:

05-15-2002, 06:37 PM
did u get your shocks revavled for the new a arms? that might have somin to do wit it, and when i ordered my shocks they also asked for the size tires i was running i dunno if that helps or not

Mailman77327
05-15-2002, 07:13 PM
oops I forgot to mention I got the Works triple rates at the same time also (set up for 220lbs).
The shocks were set up for the extended a-arms.

Leo
05-15-2002, 07:35 PM
sounds to me like your wheels are not aligned properly...

put the bars straight.. measure between the center of the tires in the front, and again in the back...

you want the front measurement to be 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch less than the back measurement..

Leo

05-16-2002, 07:53 AM
Do what Leo said and also,,I've run them fast trackers in the front myself,,they are flat and will tend to dance around since the entire top of the tire is on the ground,,,after you get your toe-in set you should be fine.

86atc250r
05-16-2002, 08:10 AM
Another thing no one has mentioned is, what offset wheels are you using?

If you are using offset wheels to widen your stance, that will cause you problems as well, or amplify any existing problems. Always run front wheels offset to the inside as much as possible.

From what I've found, the 400EX in stock form is a bit quirky at speed no matter what your toe setting. I personally believe this is due to the frames manufacturing tolerances and causing differences in camber and especially castor (I've measured my frame for squareness in several places and found that it's not square anywhere. However, I've not taken the time to measure castor and camber with my stock arms since they are not adjustable anyhow). Make sure you check all 3 adjustments on your front end - Toe, Castor, and Camber - especially if your new control arms are adjustable...

Mailman77327
05-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the imput guys...
But I found out the real problem was with the A-arm BUSHINGS!!!
They were worn out and needed to be replaced.
That was why the alignment was wack and I was all over the place.
Im back on the trails again.
Thanks Guys!!
Chris:)