PDA

View Full Version : english

Scott-300ex
04-18-2005, 10:50 AM
ok, im readin frankenstien in english and man, the beginning of it didn't even make any sense, me and my friends are like what is she talking about

she can spen 30 pages explaining a glaicer and 1 sentence on a big event

this book is pretty hard to read and we gotta read chapters 1-10 in 5 days so thats fun and cool:rolleyes:

anyway, i really need to get a good grade on this so if their is anything you guys know about this book let me know

and i gotta read the spark notes too

later

NacsMXer
04-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I agree with you that this text can be somewhat challenging to read. The focus of the story will jump around a lot as it goes through different character's perspectives. The beginning is very surreal and has a lot of descriptive detail of the terrain by the glacier; this is an allusion to where the monster will return later in the story.

It helps a ton to read the Sparknotes BEFORE you actually read the story, that way you know what's going on as you read along in the book. It's much more work to vaguely understand something and then go back to read what actually happened ;)

Don't just use one or the other, use both resources and you'll have a much better understanding than when you started. I'm in a university drama course right now and I have to read many famous plays that are sometimes hard to understand when I read them straight from the book. By using both the sparknotes and the actual texts, I have a solid "A" in the course! Good luck :)

nosliw
04-18-2005, 11:05 AM
damn i hear ya. i cant stand having to read stuff that is written weird. i just had to read shaw's remdition of joan or arc. well i endedup not really reading it but skimming through, and now i have to write 2 full pages on each character. going to have to spend some quality time on google i guess :blah:

Scott-300ex
04-18-2005, 05:48 PM
thanks guys, sounds like you know what your doing

i am lookin up spark notes now and i missed stuff in what i read, i didn't know that this one dude was killed and everything sparknotes said i didn't even realize happened

i keep wanting to skim threw it cuz there is so much other stuff i could be doing other than reading but i skim some but i've been reading a lot

i think im ready for the test, we're proly ganna have to finish the book in like 3 more days, read this whole dag gum book in a week

jesus!!

lol

thanks a lot!

and Nacs you sound like a pro, what kind of job ya ganna do? broadway or somethin?

NacsMXer
04-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Hey, no prob to help ya man, I know it sucks to have to read so much in a short period of time. I actually read Frankenstein my freshman year here at Marquette for a western civilizations course.....go figure :p

I'm taking this drama class right now just to fill in an elective for some empty credits, I wish I could actually act and make $$$ though! I'm actually a Biomedical Sciences major so this class has really nothing to do with what I want to do. We do have to read quite a few plays and analyze them critically, so eventually you work the class down to a science. I hate reading too btw, but sometimes you just gotta find out what works for you ya know?

n00b on a 400ex
04-18-2005, 09:17 PM
we just got done, damn i hate that book, all i know is victor is anti-social, digs up a bunch of crap from sewers and graveyards, welds the monster together, it wakes up, runs off, kills people, eats little children and squirrels, meets victor, victor wants to kill himself but pu$$es out, i only got to chapter 18 or so, thats all i remember :confused:

Scott-300ex
04-21-2005, 07:51 PM
oh man, thiers 18 chapters!!!!

well nacs you sound like a professor though, your smart and know what your doin so thanks again