PDA

View Full Version : Axis shocks

SPANNA36
04-18-2005, 01:19 AM
hey
i am going to get shock for my yfz450 it will be Elka or Axis
what i want to know is if the axis shocks have low and high speed commpresion adjustment?
Also are they a true ZPS
thanx for your help

EvilJester400EX
04-18-2005, 07:27 PM
They only have a compression adjustment, no high and low speed.

Bunkerking217
04-20-2005, 12:53 PM
You will be happy with the Elkas, with or with out H/L speed adjustment. :D

TBD
04-20-2005, 02:35 PM
First of all low and hi speed adjustments are pretty much useless. Compression and rebound adjustability is all you need. As for true ZPS. Even though everyone has a different term for a shock that is designed to give you a lower ride hieght(race sag) they are all doing the same thing. Lowering the ride hieght.

04-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Go Axis, and downt listen to everyone from New England about how great their Elkas are because everyone up here exclusively rides Elka.

Bunkerking217
04-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450
Go Axis, and downt listen to everyone from New England about how great their Elkas are because everyone up here exclusively rides Elka.

I'm from Louisiana, not much more southern than me. Honestly, it doesn't matter about the brand name, it matters on how it's set up and if its valved right.

And again, go look around at Pros, yea, they might run certain shocks for a reason, but basically:

PEP dominates MX
Elka dominates XC
Axis dominates TT

Pick your ride.....

showmequads
04-21-2005, 02:34 AM
My new gibson/axis front end is in the mail. I ordered the compression and rebound adjustable cause I would like to be able to tweak it if I need to. I also have the compression rebound Axis rear shock. From what K&K atv says, the Axis are easier to setup and work just as good or better than the elka's. As for PEP, good luck getting them, a buddy of mine ordered a set of TT PEP shocks in Febuary, and hasn't recieved them yet. I've heard about a good wait on all shocks this time of year, even works says a month with their black widows.

MXRACER86
04-21-2005, 04:43 PM
I got a Gibson/Axis setup! It is the best frontend I have ever had! Hands Down!

metalmellinium
04-22-2005, 12:21 AM
If you go Elka you will get them pretty fast, unlike PEP, could take up to months. I have a set of Elkas for the front on the way now!!!

PurePerformance
04-27-2005, 08:14 PM
I would go with Axis. They have the performance like the PEP but without the downtime. The Elkas are good shocks also but they just dont seem to get their valving right.

I would definitely go with the Axis.

metalmellinium
04-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Go thru the right dealer and you will get them right. Get them from Dragon fire racing. Elka probably does 2 times the amount if not more of shocks then PEP.

SPANNA36
05-02-2005, 07:46 AM
With the high and low speed comp adj wouldent that be a really usefull thing to have like one week you could ride MX and then the next week when you go to the dunes you could wind the low speed down and have a plush ride at a cruies speed
thanx chris

TBD
05-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by SPANNA36
With the high and low speed comp adj wouldent that be a really usefull thing to have like one week you could ride MX and then the next week when you go to the dunes you could wind the low speed down and have a plush ride at a cruies speed
thanx chris

You are correct a little bit. Hi and lo speed adjustments are for shaft speeds not vehicle speeds. Of course if you go over a bump at one speed then you hit the same bump at a higher speed the shaft speed will reflect that. Again the hi and lo speed adjusters are for shaft speed.

SPANNA36
05-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by TBD
You are correct a little bit. Hi and lo speed adjustments are for shaft speeds not vehicle speeds. Of course if you go over a bump at one speed then you hit the same bump at a higher speed the shaft speed will reflect that. Again the hi and lo speed adjusters are for shaft speed.

Shaft speed Oh ok
So if u are going really fast over woops the speed that the shaft travels at would be much faster than if you were just cruzin in the dunes.
if i am correct in how this thing works and it really is versitile (spell?) then it will be good for me because i ride dunes one week then the next week i race
thanx

TBD
05-03-2005, 08:42 AM
The easiest way for me to explain it is that when you hit a bump with a gradual slope that would be considered low speed. Now if you hit a bump that has a very steep angle to it (like straight up) that is considered high speed. The hi lo speed adjustments could possibly work for you in your case. I think you could get the same effect with just having compression and rebound.

DieScarred
05-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Any shock will work amazing. I went Elka for the wait time, and if there valved right they ar valved and setup right they are just a bad@$$ shock. Next is axis, there just $$ and wait time is triple the Elkas, still a phenominal shock (sp?). So which ever you go you'll love it.

SPECTECH
05-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Got the ELKAS first and was not all that impressed, They never felt right even after spending alot of time on the phone with Elka. So i went with AXIS 2nd time around and could not be more happy with my decison. I race XC

SPANNA36
05-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanx for all the info guys
i had a ride on some elkas that were valved for somone 20KG lighter than me and they felt good. i think i will go with the elkas for the simple fact that i live in australia and there is a dealer here so their will be no problems with ordering and no bull**** staying up until 2 in the morning to speak to someone.
thanx again
chris

Shuee_400
05-12-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm from Louisiana, not much more southern than me. Honestly, it doesn't matter about the brand name, it matters on how it's set up and if its valved right.

And again, go look around at Pros, yea, they might run certain shocks for a reason, but basically:

PEP dominates MX
Elka dominates XC
Axis dominates TT

Pick your ride.....

I dont think Elka Dominates XC. Ballance Axis, Yokley Elka, Borich Axis, Smiley Axix, Duvall Elka

Bunkerking217
05-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Shuee_400

I dont think Elka Dominates XC. Ballance Axis, Yokley Elka, Borich Axis, Smiley Axix, Duvall Elka

Yea, in that case it's true, BUT everyone that runs Axis only run it because of the ARSFX LT arms for cross country. With Houser and Lonestar coming out with longtravel cross country arms, then we will see...

Also, everyone you mentioned are Pros. I said that Pros run shocks for a certain reason(sponsors). All the amateurs and Joe Schmo's run Elka...

Shuee_400
05-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Thats not true, that everyone that runs Axis runs Arsfx arms. Houser has had the LT arms out for awhile now.................

Pros dont just run shocks because of sponsors they run them because they fit there riding styles best and how they feel to them.....i dont think i ever said anything about joe schmo

Bunkerking217
05-13-2005, 12:57 PM
I know you didnt say anything about Joe Schmo. Joe Schmo is another word for "any other guy" as in not a pro. I wasn't just talking about the pros. I'm not going to argue with you, just go walk around the pits at a national GNC, TT, or GNCC event...

Shuee_400
05-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Ive walked the pits! and i know that joe schmo is just the average guy

Shuee_400
05-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Ive walked the pits! and i know that joe schmo is just the average guy

TBD
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Here they go again. " Buy the shocks the pro's run ". First of all, pros get offered deals and depending on who has the best deal is what there going to run ( in most cases ). I run pro and I know how it works. As long as the design is correct a good tuner can make any shock work well. Beside the fact that most pro's could out run you on a stock quad.

Bunkerking217
05-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Bunkerking217
I wasn't just talking about the pros.

jlhughes750
05-18-2005, 06:38 AM
this joe schmoe runs AXIS shocks and GIBSON Long Travel XC arms......... Also got an AXIS on the rear with my GIBSON swing arm!!:D

I went with Axis cause at the time I felt they were the best shock for my application!

its just personal preferance?

Sc0
05-20-2005, 08:47 AM
I am running Axis triple rates front and a dual rate rear with compression/rebound adjustments on all. The main reason why I chose Axis over the others was Price and delivery times. The Axis was cheaper than Elka's. If ARS/FX had a swingarm available at the time of order I would have a full Axis suspension...