PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to go riding

400exrules
04-17-2005, 05:21 PM
I finally got to take out the 400 for a real ride today. I got stuck 3 times in thick ***** mud, which really sucked. Luckily their were some other guys their on 4x4's and they pulled me right out. It sucked, but that was the only bad part, besides me and the 400 were covered completely in mud and i just spent, who knows how long cleaning every crack and crevice, and i just drove it around the block to dry it off. I sprayed the chain with some PJ1 lube and rolled it back and forth.
What else do I need to do now?

theTman
04-17-2005, 05:24 PM
you need to get back out there and ride!!!!!

I-7
04-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Clean your airfilter after basically every ride. Change the oil after every couple of rides also.

400exrules
04-17-2005, 06:07 PM
k, i went through some water and got pretty muddy so is their anything special i need to do cuz of the mud and water?

400exrules
04-17-2005, 09:38 PM
bump

wut other things do i need to do now, change the oil? oil filter? air filter? clean airbox?

and how do u get the clutche cable off to lube it? do ujust unscrew it from the handlebars?

400exrules
04-19-2005, 06:47 PM
dude ive said this like 20 times, i have a camera phone, i dont have a digital camera, how do i get the pics onto here from my phone?

DeerNuts
04-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules

wut other things do i need to do now, change the oil? oil filter? air filter? clean airbox?

and how do u get the clutche cable off to lube it? do ujust unscrew it from the handlebars?

As soon as you bought the bike it would have been a good idea to change the oil because you have no way of knowing when the guy last changed it. But after your ride or two you will not need to change it really. Always lube your chain though.
When you change the oil change your filter.
After you ride of course check your air filter. Unless its really nasty where you ride, youre not going to have to keep cleaning the thing all the time.
Unless your clutch pulls kinda stiff, you dont need to lube it. the thing doesnt need to be lubed very often, just often enough to keep it from going stiff.
Lube up the bearings on the a-arms and the steering stem from time to time with some good white lithium.
I dont remember what year you said your bike is, but mine is an '01 which I just bought and after I had it for 4 weeks I pounded out the swingarm pivot bolt and lubed it up after scraping up the rust. Try too see if it will at least turn--- if it does, its not frozen. Lube it before it goes frozen. It's a major pain in the butt to do, but well worth it. Of course slather it in lube before putting it back in.

Sorry about the long post. this stuff isnt exactly new news to you im sure--- its been on the site for years. just basic stuff is all.
take care of your bike and it'll take care of you. but dont go crazy doing everything at once constantly! no need to man. After all, it is a honda;) :macho

400exrules
04-19-2005, 09:53 PM
do i need to get a stand or a jack to set the quad on to get the swingarm pivot bolt out?

and wut kind of lube/grease do i need for it and my a-arms and etc. I cant use a spray on lube can i? And how do i grease the a-arms, do i need to unconnect the pivoting points and grease those areas where they move?