PDA

View Full Version : 450R bottoming.

jdwxv3
04-17-2005, 11:46 AM
I thought these things were supposed to have good suspension?:huh This is a harescramble in Iowa and this is my Brother Mitch, he and I had problems with this all day. We are sending them off to C&D racing to get redone by Colby Monday! I hope it works good after that.

I wanted to post this on the Iowa Racing Thread but I could not attach an image for some reson.

frosti108
04-17-2005, 11:58 AM
holy god thats horrible :eek2:

the springs and shox must be prettttty weak or somethin...

jdwxv3
04-17-2005, 12:38 PM
yea it hurt

Kilabanshee
04-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Tighten up to the preload on the front and rear springs. Then turn the compression up and you shouldn't have a problem.

jdwxv3
04-17-2005, 01:13 PM
We had them hard.......acctually harder than we liked in the woods but I guess they just got hot and they bottomed horribly bad on the MX portion of the track. I hope this shock make over from C&D racing does them well!

blue416ex
04-17-2005, 08:04 PM
invest in some axis or elka if you have the money;) but that is crazy i have never seen that espescially from one if the new 450's:eek2: :eek2:

jdwxv3
04-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by blue416ex
invest in some axis or elka if you have the money;) but that is crazy i have never seen that espescially from one if the new 450's:eek2: :eek2:

Yea I had axis on my YFZ and loved them!!! I just simply dont want to spend $2,500.00 on shocks again:( . I hope maybe I can find a good used set after this season is over and I can sell my C&D rebuilds. I just really hope they work good for me! And yea these quads came to the track with 20min ride time one them. We picked them up Thursday and raced on Sunday. We broke em in right:muscle:. Anyway later guys!

cletusEX
04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
How far are you jumping before your flat landing like that?

jdwxv3
04-18-2005, 04:36 AM
I dont know 30-35 feet. I dont belive he was flat landing it I think that is just when the pic got taken:ermm: Maybe we used to just be spoiled. We both had Axis on our last bikes.THose were awesome!

frosti108
04-18-2005, 01:25 PM
it looks almost like that pic is photoshopped.

why is the quad and everything around it so blurry?

:confused:

jdwxv3
04-18-2005, 02:59 PM
I had to reduce the size. I can email you the pic if you know a better way to get it reduced. The big picture is really clear. I will work on getting a more clear pic up. If I cant get this pic to microsoft paint to crop it down I have issues. Anytakers on getting the pic more clear for me?

jdwxv3
04-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I had the pic e-mailed to me it was like 738km's or gb's or something like that.

04-18-2005, 03:44 PM
ill crop and resize the photo for you in photoshop, just email it to me. Alloymx428@comcast.net

kyleschonert
04-18-2005, 06:54 PM
open it with paint, got to Image on the toolbar at the top. Click Stretch/Scew, and reduce it to the size you want. Even on a mx rack they shouldnt be bottoming that bad. My stock shocks dont even do that in a race. And i have a 300EX.

werd2490
04-18-2005, 07:47 PM
This is Mithc, the one in the pic, I cant get it to paint, I had a friend send it to me in an e-mail. I have been racing a few years and I know what shocks are supposed to do and these are not doing it. We had the shocks set up stiff. My other brother already blew his rear 450R shock out. I just dont think they are as good as they were said to be. My YFZ in stock form rode a lot better than the 450R in stock form. Hopefully this shock rebuild will do the trick :D

infantry317
04-19-2005, 06:56 AM
My friend just had his stock 450r shocks redone into tripple-rates. Unless you cannot afford new aftermarket, do not do it! The trouble is if they still use the bottom eye with the rebound adjust there is not enough travel and you will bottom out every jump, three of us (all different weights) tried it and all had the same problem. I believe GT thunder puts a new bottom on the shock.

My friend says they're better than stock, but now he's having his 400ex PEP's redone by Rath to work on the R.

Jake250ex
04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
sorry to tell you guys but....

that happens off every jump. I realized this after making a little jump and bustin out the camcorder... When I hit the pause button at the right time even only off of a TINY 15 foot single the frame on a 400ex hits the ground. The camera man was just lucky enough to catch it.

jdwxv3
04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
sorry to tell you guys but....

that happens off every jump. I realized this after making a little jump and bustin out the camcorder... When I hit the pause button at the right time even only off of a TINY 15 foot single the frame on a 400ex hits the ground. The camera man was just lucky enough to catch it.

Uggh the frame should not hit the ground on every jump. I could hear mine hitting the ground(and feel) at the end of that race. That is not normal. You must have stock shocks on that 400. My YFZ with the Axis did not bottom this bad.

jdwxv3
04-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
My friend just had his stock 450r shocks redone into tripple-rates. Unless you cannot afford new aftermarket, do not do it! The trouble is if they still use the bottom eye with the rebound adjust there is not enough travel and you will bottom out every jump, three of us (all different weights) tried it and all had the same problem. I believe GT thunder puts a new bottom on the shock.

My friend says they're better than stock, but now he's having his 400ex PEP's redone by Rath to work on the R.

Thats not what I wanted to hear:( . The thing is I dont jump that much, only when I have to. I race XC so it is mostly woods, whoops, and washouts so hopefully it will work out ok, at least until I can cough up about $2,500.00 t0 get some good Axis or Elkas. Thanks for the info on that though!