PDA

View Full Version : clutch cover cracking problem

spinout
04-16-2005, 05:23 PM
i think i have figured out,or,i know the reason for the clutch cover cracking problem on the winter to spring edition 450r's.they are cracking at the bolt hole in the back,center of the side case due to the needle bearing that is in side case that the shaft under the kickstarter shaft goes into is NOT PRESSED FAR ENOUGH INTO THE CLUTCH COVER,wich in return does not allow the clutch cover to fit flush up against the main cases.therefore after a few hrs of riding time results in cracking and leaking of the clutch cover.it is THE BOLT THAT HAS THE WIRE LOOM BRACKET ON IT.

BEWARE,I TOOK MINE OFF THINKING A GASKET WAS LEAKING AND IN RE TURN VOIDED WARRENTY BECAUSE THEY ACCUSED ME OF OVER TIGHTNING THE BOLT! FUNNY PARTS IS,1 DAY AFTER MINE STARTED LEAKING MY BUDDYS CRACKED IN SAME LOCATION.

THE BEARING WAS NOT PRESSED IN FAR ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

DEAL
12-04-2005, 07:20 PM
mine just cracked below the kick starter in front of the swingarm pivot bolt .. anyone else have theirs crack there?

duke416ex
12-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Mine cracked under the bolt, and I didn't notice it til I had it apart putting my hinson in it. They replaced it though and didn't void my warranty. I had a bearing out on my water pump shaft also, and I think Honda told the service guy that there was a needle bearing going out and causing it, probably the one you are talking about.

DEAL
12-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I just noticed mine this weekend .. had a bit of oil on the back of my motor.
I may ride it this weekend if its safe? and get it welded next week.

duke416ex
12-05-2005, 03:08 PM
You can ride it, but I would be sure to stay away from water and mud or extremely dusty conditions. The dirt will be geting in your tranny side, so it's your choice. The side cover isn't but like 100 or 120 and the gasket is like 20 bucks. You will probably need a gasket anyway so it may be more worth it to get another one. You might check your dealer and maybe they will cover it.

12-05-2005, 04:08 PM
is it just the outer part thats that brown part or your actual sidecase? they have aftermarket clutch covers that are like $75 i would look into buying.

DEAL
12-05-2005, 05:40 PM
nah its the other part mike.
I don't think the crack is big enough to let any dirt in unless I realluy burry it in water or something which won't happen.

12-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
nah its the other part mike.
I don't think the crack is big enough to let any dirt in unless I realluy burry it in water or something which won't happen. could it get worse as you ride because doesnt aluminum expand when heated? is it aluminum?