PDA

View Full Version : Savin up for a quad WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW

WishinHadaQuad
04-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey ya'll.. my bud has a 2003 Honda 400EX and he's got me hooked on that thing.. when we ride i usually ride his 150. Im saving up for a quad and need to learn some stuff.. basic/advanced stuff before i spend a few grand on a quad.. what are the basic things i need to know or learn first before buying a quad. Im most likely going to buy a honda.. 400EX :devil: . I can get from point a to point b on his, pop up a wheelie and ride it for like 5feet (just learned how to today) and i can jump it a little.. but i guess im making good progress.. I know, im a n00b at this stuff.. but i really want to get into this sport.. and while im saving up i might aswell learn all i can.

Thanks Ya'll
Nico

250xridamatt
04-16-2005, 03:22 PM
If you are going to get a 400ex, i suggest buying a used one. They are really cheap, and you could get a 2002-2003 for about 3000 if its stock. Just look around a bit, and look them over to make sure it all looks good. Make sure the paint is still on the frame, and look to see how well they took care of it.

WishinHadaQuad
04-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I was planning on buying a used one.. that is in very good condish.. Ive heard Honda added some weight to the new 400ex by adding the reverse. either way i was going to get a used one anyway for financial reasons..

jjohnst03
04-16-2005, 03:51 PM
In all honesty I would save for a new one. Do what I done and call around asking for an 04 and if they dont have one see if they will order one. The closest dealer didnt have any and wouldnt order one so I told him that I was finished doing buisness with them since he hasnt been wanting to give descent prices and work with me on stuff.

anyways...I got a dealer to order me an 04 and I got it for $4100. It was $4400 out the door. That was with sales tax and everything. I would rather save up a little longer and get the new bike and have the warranty and stuff. Thats just me though.

WishinHadaQuad
04-16-2005, 03:57 PM
true true.. i went to foothills motorsports today and they had a new 400EX, i forget what the price tag was but it was up in the 4 G's. But im just gonna look around.. see what i can find, get some opionions and eventually in the next 5,6 months have picture on here to post showin my new baby :D

Thanks for the imput, keep it commin

jjohnst03
04-16-2005, 04:09 PM
The place where I got my 2004 was selling 2005's for $4800. He tried to talk me into an 05, but I told him that I didnt want reverse on that kind of bike and didnt want the extra weight since I would never use it. So he ordered the 04 and I had it in a week.

Dont ever pay whats on the price tag. Go in there and talk to them and shoot some figures around. Use procycles price to throw at them. You will get them to come down some.

WishinHadaQuad
04-17-2005, 09:14 AM
So if a Store diddnt have a 2004, and they had to order it, How much do you think you could get them down to? Everyone at Foothills is very nice from what i know and are very workable on prices..

jjohnst03
04-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Well I got mine for $4100. I dont know how prices are around your area though.

JDiablo
04-17-2005, 10:33 AM
i got my 2000 for 2800 and it came with a few mods too,but the main thing is dont waste your money on stupid stuff until you have enuf saved up for the quad

WishinHadaQuad
04-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Stupid stuff meaning...? Im not buyin dookie untill i get that quad... Im keepin my eye out for some deals.. but i will let yall know when i purchase mine. What are the pro's and Con's about buying an 03,04, or a new 05?

JDiablo
04-17-2005, 12:15 PM
stupid stuff as in wasting your money on things that you dont need,lol

jjohnst03
04-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by WishinHadaQuad
Stupid stuff meaning...? Im not buyin dookie untill i get that quad... Im keepin my eye out for some deals.. but i will let yall know when i purchase mine. What are the pro's and Con's about buying an 03,04, or a new 05? They are all the same until the 05. The only difference in the 05 is the reverse gear, new plastic, and extra weight. If you think you would use the reverse or like to have it then its worth the extra money. Thats the only difference though. Their wasnt any frame or motor changes over the years.

WishinHadaQuad
04-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Alright, good stuff to know, thanks yall for helpin out this n00b:D

Blastermax
04-17-2005, 03:10 PM
I would get a new quad if I were you, you will have a new quad and there will be less problems and dealerships sometimes give good deals on gear so you might be able to get a free helmet or something like that, and they also help you with technical support too so keep that in mind.

WishinHadaQuad
04-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Alright, Anyone live near SC and know of a good place? I know of Grady Millers, and Foothills motorsports but thats about it. My bud gets everything done, buys at foothills and says thats one of the best places. But just asking for opinions.

Blastermax
04-17-2005, 03:21 PM
If you can find a high volume dealer you can get a price about 300-500$ less

<DRS>GPF
04-17-2005, 03:44 PM
call around first to see what the "out-the-door" price is, then start playing dealers against each other with the quoted costs..

dont bother with extended wty... thats usually a rediculous cost compared to what little servicing is done..

thatll save you some cash..

04-18-2005, 11:23 AM
It all depends on where you live also. I live in Southern California and I know right around June they start dropping prices on all the bikes because it gets to hot + new bikes are getting ready to hit the showroom floor. If your looking for a used bike I would look for aftermarket shocks maybe a pipe, but try to stay away from engine mods. You never know what kind of B.S. is really done to the engine. At least with a pipe and shocks you can see them. Besides the bike is reliable stock and you can have great fun with it.

Joe400ex
04-18-2005, 12:15 PM
i always get my stuff about a year or two old. i like to be the second owner :)