PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain?

Robin Hood
04-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Hey, I was just wondering, Is there any way to remove the Timing chain on the raptor without taking the entire engine out of the frame?

And also, could you run through the procedure?

Like what needs to be done to get to the Timing Chain.

Thanks.

04-16-2005, 03:02 PM
its like a 2 minute thing on a yfz but i think for any motor work on a craptor you have to take the motor out:rolleyes:

660rider0_3
05-01-2005, 07:07 PM
You can leave it in the frame 1st u have to break down the head remove the cam keep the timing chain from droping in the motor next pull ur left side cover then ur fly wheele then i think u pull another cover then just slip the chain off and pull it throught the top..sounds simple but it can get tricky because lack of room

Robin Hood
05-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys, I cant really pinpoint my problem, but Ill list the symptoms, When you press the starter I can hear a clanking noise in the crank case/engine when it turns over. It takes like 4+ turnovers to start, but I cant even get it started on me anymore..The beast crapped out on me in the trails and I couldnt get it started, I was in mid-high 1st and it stalled, and just wouldnt start after that..

After 3 horrific hours of lugging the 450+ pound rap daddy out of the trails I trailored it home and started tearing it apart. My main concern as of now is if I damaged the valves or the piston... The timing chain seems tense, theres no slack in it so I guess Im alright there, No signs of damage to anything on the left side of the crack case... I think it may have something to do with the camshaft or the woodruff key.. All help is appriciated greatly.

~Rh

MadDog56
05-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Have you tried pull/tow starting it? If it will run, its not the cam chain and I'd bet its your one-way starter gear and bearing.

Robin Hood
05-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Well, after it crapped out on me I tried to jump it on the trails but nothing happened, when I got it home I tried it the next day and it took a hell of a long time to start it up... It ran for about 10 seconds but it was the worst 10 seconds Ive ever heard it running, it stalled and it hasnt started since...

Like I said it still clanks when it turns over, takes on average 4+ secs to start it, and it just hasnt run in forever, I have the left side crank case off and I bought a new full engine gasket kit so I can tear the entire thing apart.

Thanks for the replies.

~RH

Robin Hood
05-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Anybody got any ideas? Id like some more opinions before I start tearing the **** outta my beast.

MadDog56
05-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Time to tear the head off and have a look.

660rider0_3
05-23-2005, 09:35 AM
mine had those problems i just put a new head, cam and valves and also a starter gear now i have a problem free craptor

Robin Hood
05-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, now I got the whole bike back together, and it just wont start, I think that my spark plug isnt ingiting at the right moment. The clanking I think is coming from the starter/ starter clutch area, and Ive heard about these problems with 01's. Would replacing the starter clutch stop those noises? And if I replace the CDI box will that re-time my spark plug ignition?

~RH

tater_kamik
05-26-2005, 05:56 AM
if you arent getting spark then an cdi (unless fried) will not fix it!! take the plug out, then ground the side of it against the case and try to turn it over. you should see spark! if not, stick a screwdriver in the plug and see if you get a spark (please have an insulated screwdriver, remember that it wont feel good to get shocked) cant help you with the starter clutch etc, sorry and good luck!

Robin Hood
05-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Well... Weve pinpointed the clanking noise, its definately coming from the starter clutch, so its not that big of a problem... But about the rappy not starting, its either a fuel problem, or a broken woodruff key...

We checked the key on the left crack side, and that was fine, but Im concerned about the one by the head... The airbox was also filled with gas... Idk what that signifies, but hope someone else can relate to this and or let me know whats up. Thanks.

tater_kamik
05-26-2005, 05:52 PM
did you have it standing up? other than that, anyone have any ideas???

Robin Hood
05-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Nah I never stand my bikes up right...

96mojave
06-17-2005, 09:25 PM
maybe i broke intake valve...i would check starter first

06-17-2005, 09:36 PM
if you you got the money i would replace your starter clutch and one way and see if the clancking gos away..but i cant help yuh on ur timeing