PDA

View Full Version : anyone have this ???

blue416ex
04-15-2005, 06:51 PM
anyone have a XR400 motor in their 400ex frame i think it is a direct bolt up but the XR is kickstart and is a bit faster was thinking about trying this but wanted to see if anyone had it first:confused:

cals400ex
04-15-2005, 11:58 PM
i don't think i would do it. the ex is essentially a xr motor made for an atv. i know the crank was beefed up a bit to handle the heavier bike that had two wheels to power instead of one.

speedy400
04-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Also in the xr motor there is a tad higher compression, and a little more high performance cam. IMO if you want you can just skip all that and throw a hotcam in yours, along with a JE higher comp. piston. and you now have a engine faster than the xr400 motor.-darren

blue416ex
04-16-2005, 03:35 PM
im looking for the kickstart to lose all that extra weight and i would be putting my 416 topend on it if it works i think it would since the bores are almost the same mines a 416 now so i would do that with my stage 2 cam and suh im only loking into this because i want to use the XR bottom end so i get the kicker and can lose the battery and all the extra BS stuff

baker250r
04-16-2005, 05:21 PM
it can be done, but i would switch out the crank and maybe even the gears out of yours. otherwise u run a higher risk of grenading the gear box.....

kilabeez0
04-16-2005, 06:52 PM
sell it and get a 450 :o

blue416ex
04-16-2005, 07:09 PM
well if i had the money i would sell it and get a 450 but they are all slow compared to mine right now:macho and id rather stay with mine why should i switch out the gears are the ex's beefed up a bit to take a harder beating i thought since the Xr's were meant for enduro and motocross they would be stronger and also since they are taller geared they would make the bike faster i was just wondering if it could be done because i think i can get a xr motor cheap from a buddy. . .

speedy400
04-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Ok I got the perfect idea for ya. Keep your 416 the way it is, its a beautiful setup. Get the motor from your buddy for cheap, sell the motor on ebay for more. Take the extra money that you have made and buy lighter aftermarket stuff for your quad:macho . There ya go w/ hopefully less work and some extra cash and less frustration...them tranny gears are no fun working with IMO:p .-darren

blue416ex
04-16-2005, 07:40 PM
i want the kicker thou thats the point of the swap im considering it but am also not wanting to do it since summer is right around the corner AND there is that small chance it wont work i dont want to do all the work of pulling the motor ripping it apart then after cracking both cases open i find out that i can't do it you know just wanted to see if it has been done before since mine was just rebuilt and all :ermm:

mntly_imptnt
04-16-2005, 08:07 PM
all the gears but 5th are higher in the xr. a kick is very simple to make work via xr400.:cool:

baker250r
04-16-2005, 08:13 PM
onyl thing i can see that might screw the idea, is the xr kicker kicks backwards instead of forwards... so u will be kickin the kickstarter, and ur rear fender to hell. unelss u get a banshee kicker or blaster..... i dono tho. how do the crf's do it?

blue416ex
04-16-2005, 08:19 PM
trim the rear fender;) i know that would work but another issue that i just thought of is this would the kicker clear the frame??:confused:

baker250r
04-16-2005, 08:20 PM
i know they make kicker extensions for the crf motors...... but maybe u could flip a gear around in the tranny to make it kick forward... :confused:

blue416ex
04-16-2005, 08:28 PM
i think that is crazy but may work its always worth a try :devil: no wi just got to pawn off this motor from my buddy im goin to go over his house tommorrow and see if hes willing to get rid of it cheap or if anyone on here has just the bottom end that would be awesomesince i like my 416 topend:macho

K_Fulk
04-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I wouldnt be worried about about the motor holding up. People are putting yzf and crf motors in quads all the time and its pretty rare to hear about there trannys going bad. And the xr mtors hold up pretty good to start with.

The most difficult part would be getting the kicker out past the frame. You will probly need to make some sort of extension. Another would be whether or not the kicker clears the rear brake lever.

blue416ex
04-17-2005, 06:34 AM
i would probably have to make a new foot lever and would have to trim the plasics a bit and lose my heelguards again:( but the kicker clearing the frame could be a problem since it is very low on the motor not like the crfs and yzf's kickers but it would be sick im going up later on today to see if he still has the bottom of that XR motor i hope he does because i could bring it home and lok and see if it would lineup descently if it does ill try the swap but i don't really want to rip apart my freshly built bike to find it wont work or i have to chop my frame up:(

baker250r
04-17-2005, 06:54 AM
well, it will 100% for sure work... its just figuring out how to run th kicker. i know wut u mean by wanting to get rid of all the excess weight with the starter and stuff..... thats why i got my R.... lol, none of that excess junk like batteries.... valves... lol

u could probably take the old kicker shaft out of the xr bottom end, and take it to a manufacturing place...... if u know guys that work there, thats better. and they could custom make you a extended shaft. or if you know how to weld.... just get some hardened stuff and make it urself...... or a crf extension might even work for ya.