PDA

View Full Version : Demolition Derby Cars

markk
04-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Just curious how many of us quadriders, actully build derby cars as well?
I have 3 freinds building cars, one Ford/chevy hybrid , Its a 89 crown vic with a chevy350/ 350 turbo trans
2 Chrysler Motors 318's, One New Yorker, and one diplomat.
I was just bored outa my mind, and curious if anyone else ran derbys?
If soo post some pics of your rides. Oh yeah, if u have any good ideas please post.

zephead400ex
04-15-2005, 12:27 PM
I've never actually built a derby car myself, but have helped quite a bit in the pits and have seen my fair share of derby's.

A couple things that come to mind:
Put the radiator in the back seat.
Have extra water/radiator fluid hooked up.
Weld all the doors to the frame.
Run tall & skinny tires.
Metal boat tank for a gas tank.

Good luck.

markk
04-15-2005, 12:59 PM
yeah actully in some of the local derbys around her we cant weld the doors to the frame, But we are using budweiser Kegs for the coolers, and we have somthing up our sleeve for the radiator, Also it helps to keep the condinser(sp) in the car!

ThumPIN_450R
04-15-2005, 01:35 PM
I have a 1978 regal that I race at the derby it has a olds rocket 350 motor in it with a turbo 400 trans very fast for the race but not recommended to smash it's a pretty small ride. I did have a 1977 lincoln continental with 400 in it that lasted quite a while in the demolition part of the derby I put a peice of rubber cut up on the distributar to keep water from getting in when the radiator goes and on the very front of the trunk right behind where the posts the connect the roof to car I took a bucket of a tractor and set it down on there so the trunk will fold up instead of down if I ever get off my lazy ***** to do I'll go take some pics of my regal.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-15-2005, 01:39 PM
my dad used to race them and make them derby legal or w/e. they are fun to watch

Hondadudeehhhh
04-15-2005, 01:58 PM
my dad sponsors cars and we normally buy an old station wagon. We've won about 2 in the men's and my cousin won the powderpuff class. Derbies are a lot of fun and i cant wait until im 18

Doober
04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
well this summer i am building one and running one....cuz i am 16 now and were i live you can do it at 16