PDA

View Full Version : RAD Bearing Carrier..Tapered Bearing??

sleepin400
04-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Anyone have any expierence with this carrier. I need one for me 400ex and I talked to RAD themselves about it. He says that its a very tough bearing and it should not go bad.

Anyone else running the Tappered bearing styles??

Not the Twin Row, but the Tappered bearing.

thanks

K_Fulk
04-15-2005, 08:41 AM
I've never wore out a tapered bearing on a quad. I had a rpm carrier for about 4 years. I then switched it out for a Rad so I could grease it without pulling the arrier out of the swingarm.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
04-15-2005, 09:06 AM
I have been running the rad tapered carrier for about 3 years now.

TC426EX
04-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Ive been running the same RPM Tapered carrier for over 3 years now and havent needed to replace the bearings yet... I maintain it regularly and the rear end is still as tight as the day I bought it... Tapered carriers handle side loads much better than the single or dual row std. bearing carriers... Overall, a great investment...

blue416ex
04-15-2005, 09:27 AM
i run the RAD tapered carrier and the bearings SUCK imo i had them for maybe 4 months and pulled my old axle and they were fine but then when i was putting in the new one they just fell apart and the rollers were everywhere i was kinda pissed since new bearings cost 50$ they are loose too when you dont have the axle tight you will think you need new bearings alot of wabble in them but once its tight there is no better than this type of bearing very strong and are a great design only complaint i have is that they can't take much of a load from inside out but any other load from the outside in they are VERY STRONG and they dont use a center spacer in the carrier either less parts to mess with overall i think they are better than stock and woth the money and yea the grease zerk on the tensioning side is VERY HELPFUL :devil:

Ex'r Marlin
04-15-2005, 10:25 PM
I too have been running the Rad "tapered bearing" axle carrier for several years now.

About a year ago, I noticed a lot of slop between the brake caliper they provide and bushing on the swingarm. Rad was willing to take my old axle carrier and modify it to accept the thicker brake caliper they now supply.

I also recommend the Rad Loc to replace the stock one... Both are worth the investment, if you aske me.

Good luck.

duke416ex
04-16-2005, 04:37 PM
I run one, I destroyed one set of bearings. I never figured out why, they were greased and adjusted right. Rad replaced them free and I have had no more trouble.

sleepin400
04-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Wow, thanks for all the nice replys. Its sounds like there a pritty good deal. I think your going to have some type of a problem w/ just about any part. But there garentee kinda helps the decision.

Where is the best place to buy? I found a guy on ebay for $210.

Sound good?

thanks again

K_Fulk
04-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Check with c&d...

I got mine a lot cheaper then 210 from my local parts source.