PDA

View Full Version : 250ex problems

cochran223
04-14-2005, 07:42 PM
i have had my 250ex for 3.5 years and its had a hard life.well its catching up to it i think. i always changed the oil and kept the air filter clean and all that fun happy stuff but its got some problems.But i cant complain too much for 3.5 yrs all i had to do is replace the swingarm bearings. well the quad started stalling out wheni would put it in reverse not everytime but once in a while and it seemed to be running rough in general. does any one have any suggestions for me. i was planning on re-jetting and getting a more high flow air filter and cleaning out the carb. i never got the valves adjusted so that has crossed my mind. i didnt want to spend the money on a pipe and power kit and all that because for $450 53mph isnt that bad i mostly am looking for some suggestiopns to get it running again were starting to get alot of mud in NW ohio. :)

Quiksilver01
04-14-2005, 09:27 PM
take it in to the dealer and have them tune it and do routine maitenaince it shouldnt cost more than $120... thats what i would do

YFZ450Ridr
04-14-2005, 10:45 PM
dont take it to the dealer, they over charge you or cleaning the filter and checking the tire pressure.

ive had mine for 3.5 years 2, an 02 model. all ive had to do was replace the swing arm bearings(just like you, simple) and regular maintence.

one thing that i did that helped was adjsut the clutch. some of you might say it doesnt have a clutch, but it does its jsut auto. on the very front of your engine, below the oil cooler, you will see a little bolt and nut. get out your manual and follow the directions there. my gears were slipping a little but after than it was all good. i need to adjust my valves, thier tickin a little bit. rejetting probablly wouldnt hurt, most quads run a tad bit lean from factory. you could also clean your baffle, that actually helps a bit. i dont know what else you could do to it good luck

cochran223
04-15-2005, 03:30 PM
taking it to the dealer is the last resort, but if i have too i have too. i talked to a guy at work and he said his 200 big red was doing the same stuff. he said they had taken off the muffler and put it over a fire and burned the carbon out, i dont know how much i trust this but its worth a try i guess. does anyone know what next size jets up i should go, i dont know what stock is i have a manual so i should crack it open i guess. thanks

future 450?
04-17-2005, 08:24 AM
its prob ure automatic clutch get it replaced and dont powershift, the same thing happened to my cousin

jpconard
04-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Anybody have any problems with rear axle seals or bearings? I've had mine for 1.5 years, wondering if I should do any maintenance on drive train? I have changed the differential oil.

How do you grease the swingarm bearings, I assume remove the footpeg gaurds then swingarm caps, then unbolt. What about driveshaft, how does it come apart?

I routinely take it into water and mud.

YFZ450Ridr
04-21-2005, 01:46 PM
ive had mine apart and the stock swing arm bearings are CRAP, mine fell completly apart. once u unhook the swingarm, the drive shaft slides out, no bolts, nothing.

i wouldnt just grease the swing arm bearings, id get new ones. i got mine from rocky mountain for 20 bucks shipped.

jpconard
04-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks,

What about the rear axle seals and bearings. Is it worth taking apart and trying to put grease on them or clean them up, or are the seals pretty tight and it is better to just leave it alone until there are problems?

YFZ450Ridr
04-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by jpconard
Thanks,

What about the rear axle seals and bearings. Is it worth taking apart and trying to put grease on them or clean them up, or are the seals pretty tight and it is better to just leave it alone until there are problems?

i would leave them alone, all the bearings are sealed and every thing so it would be very hard to pack them with grease.

ive had mine for 3.5 years now with ALOT of abuse and my axle has had no problems. i would just wait untill you see a problem some where with the bearings then replace them.

jpconard
04-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks again,

I see you are from St. Louis, same here. St. Joes should be pretty wet from all this rain.

Nothing better than floating the front wheels through the water holes at St. Joes.

May have to leave the XR at home if I go this weekend. Supposed to be cooler though in the 50s.

YFZ450Ridr
04-21-2005, 10:37 PM
im not going to st joe this weekend but the next, we should hook up and ride some time:macho

jpconard
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Yes, I ride with son on Xr70, either I am on white 98 XR250 or 04 250EX.

Sometimes I go by myself.

Wife has 94 XR100 but doesn't like to ride and usually never goes.

2strokerider
06-11-2005, 05:37 PM
mine was doin that and i put a new centrifugal clutch in it and its ok now. i would try adjusting it first and see wat happens. if that doesnt work then take it apart and look at the plates. mine were chewed up. if there ok then its prolly your valves.