PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Oil cooler mod

300exSwamprider
04-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I would like to add an oil cooler to my 98 300ex.
where do I find the cooler and what mods have to be done to
the oil filter cover ?

Any info will be greatly appreciated Thanks....

fastexgirl4c
04-14-2005, 06:59 PM
well.. i dno where u would get one.. but if i were u..i would rethink it. The reason why the 300ex doesnt come with one, is that the oil cooler brings less oil to the top end. It will kind of starve the motor. I know someone who had one, and after he raced it once, the motor seized.

hondardr4life
04-14-2005, 07:23 PM
I have one on mine, I got it from Four stroke tech. You don't have to mod the cover at all, just cut the oil line that runs from the bottom to top end, and then run the lines to a cooler you mount right on the front of the frame kinda behind the bumper.

300exSwamprider
04-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Hondardr,

How much was the cooler, and where exactly is the oil line located, I haven't gotten a chance to look at it kinda dark out now to see.......and what about starvation of the engine? have you had any problems that I should know about before I do this mod?

Thanks,
Swampy300ex

bulkdriverlp
04-14-2005, 08:11 PM
you dont need it

hondardr4life
04-15-2005, 04:37 AM
I think I paid $85 + $5 shipping. The number for FST is 814 842 6159. The oil line is located on the right side of you quad (if you are sitting on it). It rund up from the bottom end, I think it attaches more towards the front than where the clutch cable attaches, and it runs up along the back side of the top end and then curves to above that little black thing on the side of your motor. I haven't had any problems with oil restriction, I actually think it makes the motor run a lot cooler. The line that comes with the kit, actually is a little larger in diameter than the metal line on the quad, so I don't think you will have any problems.

Just a ??, why are you putting on an oil cooler? Do you have motor mods, because thats really the only time you need it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155416

There is a link to soem pics of my quad, just scroll down when you are on that page, the pics are actually posted on atvriders, they are just a few postes down. You can see the oil cooler in my pics, and you can see the bottom end portion of the line, the top end is very hard to see. All you do when installing the cooler is cut the metal line, then turm it in the direction you want, then hook it up to the rubber line with the clamps that are included in the kit.

bradley300
04-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by fastexgirl4c
well.. i dno where u would get one.. but if i were u..i would rethink it. The reason why the 300ex doesnt come with one, is that the oil cooler brings less oil to the top end. It will kind of starve the motor. I know someone who had one, and after he raced it once, the motor seized.

the entie point of a oil cooler is to cool the oil going into the top end, it will not starve your motor for anything unless you install it wrong.

you can use a small transmission cooler from a car or buy the one from four stroke tech. you need to cut the metal oil line that goes from the case to the head on the left side and connect the cooler lines on to it. also you will need to add more oil.

bradley300
04-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
you dont need it

your right, you dont NEED it, but it is a nice accesory to have that will help your motor last longer between rebuilds

300exSwamprider
04-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Nice Ride Honda,

I do not have any engine mods as of yet, But I use it to push off mini and micro sprints at a local racetrack and it runs hot,
I will be doing some engine mods here in the summer,
Looking at a big bore kit and some other things.

I just figured the oil cooler would help when we're out pushing the race cars....?

I also would like to change the exhaust, I would like to stay with the stock muffler, I would rather it be quiet, but I would like to change the Header pipe, Any suggestions? I see your here in PA..... where abouts? We do alot of old coal mine riding here, it's a real blast. ATV doesn't like to come clean afterwards though,
alot of black coal dust.......and the mud is even more Black then the dust....::blah:

I'll have to get some pics and post them

Mods so far are mostly cosmetic IE: AC Nerfs, ITP T9 rims with
20/11/9 Hole shots, fronts are ITP Steel:blah: Only thing the local Honda shop had in a pinch....:mad: FMF factory racer graphix
and Alum. swingarm skidplate, Trails ate the factory tin one up...LOL

quadfamily
04-15-2005, 09:09 PM
does Four Stroke Tech have a web site? I can't find it if it does. Does anybody have the phone number? I was also looking for Quad Central2 (Steve Abott's shop)on the web and couldn't find that either. So if anybody has a phone number or web site for either of these please post it. Thanks!

hondardr4life
04-15-2005, 09:19 PM
I posted their number in my post above, they don't have a website.

N300exJ
04-24-2005, 06:00 PM
JAGG Racing makes an external oil cooler kit and parts unlimited carrys it. I have one on my 300ex and its badass!!!! Comes with custom billet oil filter cover with two taps and hoses to a lil oil cooler u can bolt on your frame. Nice clean setup.

300exSwamprider
04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
N300exJ,

The oilcooler looks nice, Too bad Jagg has it as DISCONTINUED!

I was just on their website and they have it posted as discontinued? Guess I'll have to call FST....