PDA

View Full Version : How do you get it to run without a choke?

firebb15
04-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Thinking about doing a choke removal...Mine will not run without choke, when its on choke it sounds like it misses once and a while like it get air bubbles in the carb until it warms up. The choke doesnt raise the idle like every other atv i'v owned, this is very annoying, i have to hold the throttle till it warms up. Someone told me alot of 400ex are cold blooded. Does anybody else have a 400ex that starts like this. Just bought mine BRAND NEW last week!

400exdave
04-14-2005, 03:58 AM
mine does the same thing. it pisses me off. 400ex's are very cold blooded, at least mine is. I almost wear down the battery everytime i try and start after its been sitting for more than a week.

redrider440
04-14-2005, 06:19 AM
It seems thats how they all are. Is there any reason you want to remove the choke? Mine has a 39mm FCR with no choke and I hate it.

igmif
04-14-2005, 06:22 AM
I removed the choke from mine a few weeks ago. I found it starts alittle easier without it. Maybe it's just in my head, but if I do need to choke it I have a couple of plastic bags in the tool container. I just wrap 'em snug around the air filter and it works the same as the choke.

TC426EX
04-14-2005, 06:36 AM
Removing the choke is a good mod for the stock carb. The bike starts EASIER without it IMO... 3 or 4 pumps on the throttle and it fires right up, even with a High comp. built engine... The theory behind the choke removal is that by taking it out, you get a slight increase in air/fuel mixture to the engine... I used to run it on my stock carb before going to the FCR39, and it made a difference for sure... If you didnt know, there is a complete walk through of the process in the "tech articles' section of the site

redrider440
04-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Have you tried the mod for the FCR that eleminates the bog TC? I was just wondering, haven't talked to anybody to see if it works or not.

400exredrider
04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
on FCRs all you hvae to do is pump the throttle a few times and itll start right up

TC426EX
04-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by redrider440
Have you tried the mod for the FCR that eleminates the bog TC? I was just wondering, haven't talked to anybody to see if it works or not.

Nah man I havent tried it yet, but would like to. My engine grenaded when I just threw a rod, so I am in the process of rebuilding it and wont be riding for about another week and a half. Im using a rigged setup I learned from an old post on here right now on my FCR and it works pretty well...

redrider440
04-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 400exredrider
on FCRs all you hvae to do is pump the throttle a few times and itll start right up

I wish mine was that easy. If it sits for a week or so, I have to start it on the stock CDI box, let it warm up then I can switch it over to the White Bros. box.

What rigged set up is that TC?

kilabeez0
04-14-2005, 03:23 PM
I took my entire choke assembly off, put a 42 pilot on, spent a good half hour fine tuning the carb and it honestly starts easier and idles better than it ever has. i was always aggrivated when my buddy's raptor would start right up and idle. I'd be mess'n with the choke riding it around trying to warm it up. Trust me, take it off and put a 42 pilot and you'll be pissed you didn't do it earlier. trust me. :blah:

schootar
04-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I did the choke removal a few months ago and I think it starts easier without it. I also put a 42 pilot in it too. 3 taps on the gas and hit the start button, if it don't fire, do it again. When I had the choke, I was always fouling the plug trying to start it. I think it's a great mod for little to no money involved.

jesshamner
04-14-2005, 04:01 PM
42 pilot and choke removal will fix it. I never had to remove mine and rarely had any troubles starting. I just pumped the throttle two or three times before starting and it always fired right up. I would have to give it a little throttle until it started warming up but it was only a minute at the most.

<DRS>GPF
04-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by jesshamner
42 pilot and choke removal will fix it. I never had to remove mine and rarely had any troubles starting. I just pumped the throttle two or three times before starting and it always fired right up. I would have to give it a little throttle until it started warming up but it was only a minute at the most.

mine didnt work as well as what yours did, but ill admit it was much easier to start.... 20degrees F and it was purring with the choke.. let it idle for a couple of minutes and its good to go..

it didnt cure it for me, but it helped huge.. my buddy did it and he was able to start in the same weather without a choke altogether..

sometimes it does great other times it does good.. just goes to show theyre never all the same..lol

firebb15
04-15-2005, 02:14 PM
What happens when i get my pipe and intake? I probably wont be able to use the 42 pilot jet? Is the choke removal going to work with pipe and intake and few other mods?

Chino886
04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
So what did you guys uses to block off the "hole" that is created with removing the choke? Suggestions?

kilabeez0
04-15-2005, 03:50 PM
i have a pipe and intake and it still works fine. for now i put a plastic pin in the hole, but i haven't checked to make sure it stayed in there:eek2: i'll check tomorrow, i rode it last sunday for the first time this year and dropped it off at my parents house in kind of a rush. first time out with pipe, choke removal, 42 pilot and 165 main. i was VERY impressed.